Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Roy's most productive years were in Buffalo. In fact, with the exception of his last year (2011-12), his GPG and PPG were better every season in Buffalo from 2006-07 on than they have been in either Dallas or St. Louis. He was injured here at the end and definitely wasn't meshing well with Lindy. He's been rejuvinated since being traded, but still isn't his old self (0.711 PPG this year vs. 0.84-1.43 PPG over the aforementioned stretch in Buffalo.)

Likewise, Gerbe's most productive season (2010-11) was in Buffalo. He's on pace to get close to that again, but not to beat it (in GPG or PPG.)

Pominville was and remains good. A very complete player, who was everything except a good captain. He's on a good line and showing what he can do. He did that here, too. His GPG are the highest since his 2006-07 year in Buffalo, which was obviously helped by the team and the league, so that's definitely improved. However, his PPG is lower this year than any year in Buffalo after 2005-06.

Tropp is too small of sample to say much, but injury concerns (concussions) probably played a part in why he was waived.

Sekera is the only one on your list (depending on how you value Pominville's goals vs. his total points) who has clearly improved.

Thank you for your perspective lol..Macarthur and Paille others I've missed but there . It definitely seems that way though

Those of us who believe in advanced stats know Sekera isn't having a breakout season--he's been doing this for years.

Edit: to expand a little, his even strength scoring rates are almost identical to the past few seasons with the Sabres, so any uptick in overall output is either coming from more ice time or more/better power play opportunities. On my phone so can't get super detailed, but I can try to dig a little deeper when I get home.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Thank you for your perspective lol..Macarthur and Paille others I've missed but there . It definitely seems that way though

No problem. For the record, Paille's best years, production-wise, were here, too. He's just being used in a different role there (a very good 4th-line, energy guy instead of an OK second-line winger.) MacArthur has progressed, but he was also young when he left. Mostly, he just got more consistant, which often happens with maturity. However, I do understand the feeling. Mostly, we just get down on our own players, so when they go elsewhere and produce, even if it's not at a higher rate, it feels like they're suddenly better. It also doesn't help that players don't seem to come here and get better.

Edited by carpandean

The ice is covered in snow. It looks damn cold. The players are wearing touques :P . I wish both teams could lose the 2 points but it should be a fun game to watch. Anybody going to the outdoor classic and want to give us any insight into the vibe of the place via phone ?

"I remember when Sidney Crosby scored on Domenick Hasek in the first Winter Classic!" :blink: Someone is still drunk from last night! :lol:

PTR

Lol thought I was hearing things when JR said that and no one corrected him!

Replays of that hit on Crosby never get old. :angel:

The one that wasn't a hockey play where he wasn't anywhere near the puck? Yea, never gets old. :rolleyes:

Sounds like Tim Gleason will be going from Carolina to Toronto for Jean-Michael Liles. Might be more involved, but nothing is official. Nonis said "it's not done yet" when asked, which indicates there are clearly some big talks. This all according to Dreger/McKenzie/Kypreos.

Edited by DStebb

I think he's scoring more on Thursdays, at home, on the first game of back-to-backs, when having pasta for dinner the previous night and getting more than 5.87 hours sleep.

The grand irony is this type of mockery is much more applicable to your Olympics argument with Miller than it is to advanced stats.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.