The other sports thread

Eleven

Same. I'm starting to get into the Blue Jays a little more now, though.

Exact same haha. It's hard not to with the Bisons being here and them being the closest team. I don't care about baseball like I used to, but I would be ecstatic with the Jays or Nats championship.

I think the Jays run at the top is about to come to an end because it doesn't sound like Encarnacion and the team are close on an extension and Joey Bats is also a free agent (who hasn't had a very good year regardless).

I just find it amazing that the Yankees have managed to turn one of the least likable athletes of my lifetime into a sympathetic figure.

Bingo. It's an amazing feat, really.

I like Alex Rodriguez. Phenomenal ball player, and a bit of a weird guy. His life in the public eye has been very interesting and strange, to say the least.

I'll miss him for sure. Yeah, he doesn't have it anymore, but the Yankees will not be anywhere near good for a bare minimum of 2 years and my money is on a few more than that. He should have been trotted out there every day and told to swing for the fence, he only needs 4 more, for sake!

This feels sh!tty.

Hal Steinbrenner....you are most definitely not your dad. Hell, he's not even his brother. Hal is a glorified account who knows exactly dick about baseball. It's all about the cost and getting under that luxury tax.

One of the best players of my lifetime. I got to watch his entire career, so I'm thankful. His 40-40 season was awesome! He's 100% a Hall if Famer to me, so is Bonds. I don't think either of them ever get in, and that's a shame. They made baseball a whole lot of fun for a long time. His skills have long since gone. But I'll remember the good times.

I like Alex Rodriguez. Phenomenal ball player, and a bit of a weird guy. His life in the public eye has been very interesting and strange, to say the least.

I'll miss him for sure. Yeah, he doesn't have it anymore, but the Yankees will not be anywhere near good for a bare minimum of 2 years and my money is on a few more than that. He should have been trotted out there every day and told to swing for the fence, he only needs 4 more, for ###### sake!

This feels sh!tty.

Hal Steinbrenner....you are most definitely not your dad. Hell, he's not even his brother. Hal is a glorified account who knows exactly dick about baseball. It's all about the cost and getting under that luxury tax.

One of the best players of my lifetime. I got to watch his entire career, so I'm thankful. His 40-40 season was awesome! He's 100% a Hall if Famer to me, so is Bonds. I don't think either of them ever get in, and that's a shame. They made baseball a whole lot of fun for a long time. His skills have long since gone. But I'll remember the good times.

Said no one ever. If his charisma grew a thousand times, he'd still be the most hated athlete ever. Always saying and doing the worst thing at the worst time. He's the anti-Jeter. Jeter was smooth, controlled and calculated. A-Rod is just a tool. I won't let the Empire make Darth Vader a sympathetic character.

Said no one ever. If his charisma grew a thousand times, he'd still be the most hated athlete ever. Always saying and doing the worst thing at the worst time. He's the anti-Jeter. Jeter was smooth, controlled and calculated. A-Rod is just a tool. I won't let the Empire make Darth Vader a sympathetic character.

Multiple people in this very thread have stated they like A-Rod.

100% ###### the Yankees. The team I grew up as a fan of (my brothers were Yankees fans and baseball was my first love). I always rooted for the Expos (now Nationals) and Yankees.

I gave up the empire years ago because it just wasn't "fun" to be a fan of them.

What they are doing to A-Rod is messed up. He's four home runs short of 700 and they're forcing him into retirement with this weak "social advisor" setup. Watching how emotional he was and the way he's answering questions make it clear he didn't want this but the Yankees forced him into it. In a lost season they're pushing an all-time great (regardless of what you think of him he is indeed that) out the door because the empire is tired of him being a headline.

###### the Yankees AND MLB for doing A-Rod the way they have. He was used as a punching bag in the fraudulent and makeshift war against PEDs. He is no worse than hundreds of other players but was made to be the devil. Horseshit. A great player and a better person than he gets credit for.

He mentioned he might consider playing for another team. I hope, before he becomes an advisor, the Red Sox come in and offer him a deal for the rest of the season. ###### the Red Sox, too.

I don't like the Yankees OR A-Rod but geez, they're going nowhere this season, why couldn't they let him finish the season?

P.S. Thanks, Yankees, for Carlos Beltran. He's been a better Prince Fielder than Prince Fielder so far.

Edited by Robin Egg

So Rob Manfred, MLB Commissioner, wants a pitch clock implemented. Along with several other trifling changes meant to "speed up the game."

I'm sure I risk obtaining full dinosaur status when I share the following two observations. 1: ######. 2: You.

Hello everyone, my name is ubkev, and I am a baseball dinosaur also.

That said, they use the pitch clock in AAA and it's really not bad. I don't even notice it when I'm at games, to be honest.

Hello everyone, my name is ubkev, and I am a baseball dinosaur also.

That said, they use the pitch clock in AAA and it's really not bad. I don't even notice it when I'm at games, to be honest.

How does the pitch clock work when the pitcher needs to throw to first a half dozen times to convince a runner to not take a big lead?

I don't like the Yankees OR A-Rod but geez, they're going nowhere this season, why couldn't they let him finish the season?

Did you watch him fake crying at his press conference? Oh, wait, you can't see my eyes, let me take my hat off. Crap! The hats facing the wrong way! Let me turn it around for the photo op. Hall of fame baseball player AND hall of fame douche bag. The Yankees owe him nothing, and if not letting him go for 700 in pinstripes is a you to A-Rod maybe it's in return of the many you's they've received from A-Rod.

How does the pitch clock work when the pitcher needs to throw to first a half dozen times to convince a runner to not take a big lead?

The pitch clock doesn't apply when there are runners on base.

It's bases empty situations. Pitcher has 20 seconds to throw or the batter is awarded a ball.

Seriously, you don't even notice it.

It's there to make Clay Buchholtz throw the f'ing ball. God, that guy takes forever to let it go.

Edited by ubkev

The pitch clock doesn't apply when there are runners on base.

It's bases empty situations. Pitcher has 20 seconds to throw or the batter is awarded a ball.

Seriously, you don't even notice it.

It's there to make Clay Buchholtz throw the f'ing ball. God, that guy takes forever to let it go.

It takes mad long to get the proper amount if hair grease on the ball