The other sports thread

Eleven

That may have been the best fight I've ever seen. Holy ######!

Not the best I've ever seen but a damn good fight. No doubt Conor won.

48-48 was due to Trowbridge giving Nate 10-8 in round 3 but if you give him 10-8 there you give Conor 10-8 in round one or two.

• 2 weeks later...

I just experienced my very first cross country meet. Had no idea what to expect. These parents are the same as alpine ski racing parents. I'm bringing my cowbell to the next one!

That's awesome! Most people don't know what to expect when they attend their first cross country meet. Often have an idea they'll be watching kids simply run. But after a meet many realize it's an incredible and very entertaining sport. Seeing individuals and a number of teams go at it in race is exciting. Each striving for a personal best, a top individual place and a high finish by a team all at once. It's pure awesomeness. Glad you got to experience it. 

Anyone watching college football today? Number 3 Oklahoma is down 19-17 to number 15 Houston. Good one to keep an eye on. Plenty of quality games to watch today. Glad football is back! 

Change that! Oklahoma went for a 53 yard field goal and it fell short. Houston sat back for it and returned the ball for a TD from their endzone. Go Houston! Love upsets! Now 26-17!

Edited by GoPre

As a Mets fan, I'm quite confused at the moment. This season has been a tire fire. Half (literally, 5/10) of the opening day lineup is out for the year. Harvey, Matz, DeGrom are all hurt. Wheeler never made it up, and I think he may be having his arm cut off soon. Nobody can hit, outside of Cespedes, who has one working leg. Yet, as of right now, the team is one game out of a wildcard spot. This is insane.

Even more insane, given the above, is the animus towards Terry Collins. The hell is he supposed to do? If indeed the Mets make even the division series, it'll be one of the most amazin' (see what I did there?) seasons ever.

As I've mentioned before, I recently moved to Columbus so my fiancée can pursue her PhD at OSU. Being the giant sports fan that I am, it's not hard to jump on the OSU bandwagon. Except it's not even a bandwagon, it's a way of life down here.

Today was the first game, and I got season tickets through her student account. Holy cow, what an atmosphere. Before this game, UB was the only college football game I had attended. The Shoe jumps right over UB and blows the Ralph right out of the water. 107,000+ in attendance today. And that's almost how many points they scored haha.. 77-10 over Bowling Green. BG has pretty much run the MAC these last few years while I've been at UB, so this was quite the statement that I'm in a whole new world now. They just dismantled them with ease despite losing 15 starters from last year. Nuts, man. B1G football is legit, and fans young and old lose their minds over it.

After today's game, the OSU student soon to be my wife started teasing me and telling me "you're welcome" for finally giving me a winning team to root for. (She's right) but I obviously responded with confidence, stating that BOTH the Bills and Sabres will make the playoffs this year. Now she's trying to get me to put something down on that statement...

Local TCU (#13) had a tough time with South Dakota State tonight before finally pulling away in the 4th quarter for a 59-41 win.  Allowing 41 points to an unranked team is worrisome.

The Texas Rangers continue to roll:  They swept the 2nd place (AL West) Mariners to push them back to 3rd place, now they're playing a series with the new second place team, the Houston Astros, and beat them twice (10-8, 12-4) with an opportunity to sweep them on Sunday.  This is how to clinch a division and I like it.

As I've mentioned before, I recently moved to Columbus so my fiancée can pursue her PhD at OSU. Being the giant sports fan that I am, it's not hard to jump on the OSU bandwagon. Except it's not even a bandwagon, it's a way of life down here.

Today was the first game, and I got season tickets through her student account. Holy cow, what an atmosphere. Before this game, UB was the only college football game I had attended. The Shoe jumps right over UB and blows the Ralph right out of the water. 107,000+ in attendance today. And that's almost how many points they scored haha.. 77-10 over Bowling Green. BG has pretty much run the MAC these last few years while I've been at UB, so this was quite the statement that I'm in a whole new world now. They just dismantled them with ease despite losing 15 starters from last year. Nuts, man. B1G football is legit, and fans young and old lose their minds over it.

After today's game, the OSU student soon to be my wife started teasing me and telling me "you're welcome" for finally giving me a winning team to root for. (She's right) but I obviously responded with confidence, stating that BOTH the Bills and Sabres will make the playoffs this year. Now she's trying to get me to put something down on that statement...

Oh yeah.....well.....Syracuse rocked Colgate! So there!

...I'm a little bit ashamed.

Oh yeah.....well.....Syracuse ###### rocked Colgate! So there!

...I'm a little bit ashamed.

Ha, you know what, I really have no idea why I never went to a Cuse game growing up in Rochester. I guess just because they were pretty bad all this years, although that sure as hell never kept me from the Bills!

The best Cuse season I recall was a Doug Marrone-lead Pinstripe Bowl win. Enough said, I guess. But I still should have made it out to one. I only made it to one basketball game in the Dome even though I followed them much more.

Even without going, Cuse was big-time to me. They were New York state's OSU. Or what UB is trying to become/not trying to become/still really trying to become.

Ha, you know what, I really have no idea why I never went to a Cuse game growing up in Rochester. I guess just because they were pretty bad all this years, although that sure as hell never kept me from the Bills!

The best Cuse season I recall was a Doug Marrone-lead Pinstripe Bowl win. Enough said, I guess. But I still should have made it out to one. I only made it to one basketball game in the Dome even though I followed them much more.

Even without going, Cuse was big-time to me. They were New York state's OSU. Or what UB is trying to become/not trying to become/still really trying to become.

Eh, the Dome is loud. I'll give it that. But it seats exactly half of the Horseshoe, or the Big House, or wherever else. It's big time for NY football(which is non existent) but in the overall scope of televised college ball, it's pretty small.

Now basketball is a different story. Every other teams building is small potatoes.

I took my son to the last home game of the SWB RailRiders season today. We had awesome seats, 6 rows from the field, right above the home dugout. Clint Frazier, the Yankees #1 prospect went deep in the bottom of the 1st. RailRiders catcher Kyle Higashioka tossed my son a ball after a K to end the top of the 9th. The RailRiders then walked off on a double off the CF wall with the bases jacked in the bottom of 10. Then my kid got his ball signed. It was a pretty perfect day.