The other sports thread

Eleven

FINALLY Vin Scully decided to shut up

(I 100% admire his hard work and dedication to the game of baseball and will never match him in effort or dedication, but he's totally not my bag)

He's not my cup of tea either, but it's sad to see him go. Granted this will undoubtedly be biased, but I absolutely love Michael Kay for the NYY broadcast team. On the flip side I could write a paper on my hatred for Joe Buck

US won the Ryder Cup for the first time since 2008. Such a fun and amazing tournament. Ended up watching it most of Saturday

Edited by WildCard

(I 100% admire his hard work and dedication to the game of baseball and will never match him in effort or dedication, but he's totally not my bag)

I always thought he was overrated, too.  Mostly because of his Kirk Gibson quote.  

But that was 28 years ago.  Now, I've listened to him more closely.  The guy became great.

In other baseball news, go Jays over Orioles!

Next you'll tell me Susan Waldman is great too.

I know you hate the Yankees, but do you remember when Roger Clemens announced his return to the Yankees and how good old Sue reacted? Wow, talk about embarrassing! She is just awful.

Booo! What is wrong with you? Vin Scully is the reason I get to watch baseball with my wife in the room. Yes he does get a bit wordy and tell stories, but it is in an endearing way (as opposed to the way the NBC team calls hockey where they just rattle off facts about the player's pee-wee hockey team). He is a legend in broadcasting and will be missed.

He was also on the broadcast for the 49ers famous "The Catch" call

He's not my cup of tea either, but it's sad to see him go. Granted this will undoubtedly be biased, but I absolutely love Michael Kay for the NYY broadcast team. On the flip side I could write a paper on my hatred for Joe Buck

US won the Ryder Cup for the first time since 2008. Such a fun and amazing tournament. Ended up watching it most of Saturday

The Ryder Cup was awesome this year, tons of emotion and competitiveness from some of the younger golfers on both sides (the McIlroy/Reed match especially) that made golf fun to watch. Glad to see the US finally broke the slump and took one home this year.

I always thought he was overrated, too.  Mostly because of his Kirk Gibson quote.  

But that was 28 years ago.  Now, I've listened to him more closely.  The guy became great.

In other baseball news, go Jays over Orioles!

Where is all the Vin hate coming from?

Jays over Orioles on Tuesday night - I hate this one game wildcard playoffs, but they sure do make for compelling must watch TV.

Next you'll tell me Susan Waldman is great too.

Nooooo. I can't stand her. She might actually be worse than Joe Buck

Time for MLB postseason predictions!

AL WC: Jay's over O's

NL WC: Mets over Giants

ALDS: Rangers over Jay's, Sox over Tribe

NLDS: Cubs over Mets, Nationals over Dodgers

ALCS: Rangers over Sox. Your pen is atrocious, Bahstahn

NLCS: Cubs over Nationals

WS: CUBS OVER RANGERS

Edited by WildCard

Nooooo. I can't stand her. She might actually be worse than Joe Buck

Time for MLB postseason predictions!

AL WC: Jay's over O's

NL WC: Mets over Giants

ALDS: Rangers over Jay's, Sox over Tribe

NLDS: Cubs over Mets, Nationals over Dodgers

ALCS: Rangers over Sox. Your bull pen is atrocious, Bahstahn

NLCS: Cubs over Nationals

WS: CUBS OVER NATIONALS

Ballsy world series pick there

I did??

I just assumed the AL doesn't matter and the real WS is the NLCS.

Yeah, I just sort of caught on now ... what can I say, I'm old.

I think the Rangers match up pretty well with the Cubs, or Expos.  Maybe even the O's, but I don't think they will beat Toronto tonight.

ALWC: Jays over O's

NLWC: Giants over Mets

ALDS: Rangers over Jays; Red Sox over Indians

NLDS: Cubs over Giants; Nats over Dodgers

ALCS: Red Sox over Rangers

NLCS: Nats over Cubs

World Series: Nats over Red Sox

Meh

Nats with a hurt Murphy, no Ramos, and no Strasbourg? Edited by WildCard

Nats with a hurt Murphy, no Ramos, and no Strasbourg?

They were something like 19-8 without Ramos this year. Murphy is healthy (he had a sore butt and they just wanted to rest him up for the postseason). Strasburg being healthy would be a plus but it won't make or break them.

I don't actually think it'll go that way. My real prediction would be Cubs over Red Sox, but I wanted to be a homer at the end.

They were something like 19-8 without Ramos this year. Murphy is healthy (he had a sore butt and they just wanted to rest him up for the postseason). Strasburg being healthy would be a plus but it won't make or break them.

I don't actually think it'll go that way. My real prediction would be Cubs over Red Sox, but I wanted to be a homer at the end.

Reminds me of March Madness bracket time, where for years I would always pick the Orange to win the tourney even when they were the 8 or 9 seed and had no real chance. The first year I decided that was stupid and picked a "real" bracket was the year that they went on a big run and won it all.

So be proud of your homer-ism. :thumbsup: