The other sports thread

Eleven

Man, the decision is ancient history. Irrelevant. He came back to Cleveland and fulfilled his destiny. The decision stopped mattering the moment that final buzzer sounded last night. 

Even as a fan of this narrative (the word finally used in a GOOD way!), I don't know that I'd go this far (ancient history; irrelevant). It's all part of his story -- his origin story, if you will. And it's such a weird, complicated, terrific story.

Even as a fan of this narrative (the word finally used in a GOOD way!), I don't know that I'd go this far (ancient history; irrelevant). It's all part of his story -- his origin story, if you will. And it's such a weird, complicated, terrific story.

That's what makes it so good. The hero, turned villain, redeems himself and therefore justifies the path he chose. Does this championship happen if he never goes to Miami? It's fun to think about the path he took to get here. It's a bonafide sports story if there ever was one.

Going to Miami was absolutely the right decision. He was wrong and stupid for doing it the way he did, but I forgave him once he returned while still being the best player in the world.

I don't think everybody is required to be happy about this but wishing actual death on a sports figure is vile.

That's what makes it so good. The hero, turned villain, redeems himself and therefore justifies the path he chose. Does this championship happen if he never goes to Miami? It's fun to think about the path he took to get here. It's a bonafide sports story if there ever was one.

Oh my god, LeBron is Anakin Skywalker...

Going to Miami was absolutely the right decision. He was wrong and stupid for doing it the way he did, but I forgave him once he returned while still being the best player in the world.

I don't think everybody is required to be happy about this but wishing actual death on a sports figure is vile.

Claiming that anyone wished actual death on him is vile.

wishing actual death on a sports figure is vile.

Claiming that anyone wished actual death on him is vile.

Yeah - for as strident and vitriolic as people wanna be here (looking at Drunkard here for wishing a wicked affliction of penile cancer on LeBron, or whatever), I don't ever take what's said literally. It's metaphor. Hyperbole. I get it. (At least, I think I do.)

I engage in that sort of stuff myself - to a point. I can't really recall who the objects of my scorn have been, truth be told.

Well, I hope all you Cleveland sympathizers are happy. That attention ###### Lebron is going to have even more of a messiah complex now. Didn't watch a single minute of it but the google app on my phone felt the need to inform me of his victory (not Cleveland's it specifically said Lebron won it). To steal a quote from George Carlin though maybe he'll get an inoperable tumor at the base of his spine. I'll hope for that.

Him going back to Cleveland erased much of the stench of "the decision". I'm thrilled for his accomplishment. He's a good person who made a poor decision.

Man, the decision is ancient history. Irrelevant. He came back to Cleveland and fulfilled his destiny. The decision stopped mattering the moment that final buzzer sounded last night. 

Yes, the bouncy ball messiah came back to the scorned land that is the other mistake by the lake and he so lead his people into the promised land like Moses or some other such nonsense. Excuse me for not bowing my head in deference to that preening prima donna. Either way, you don't get to decide for me what is relevant and what isn't.

Yeah - for as strident and vitriolic as people wanna be here (looking at Drunkard here for wishing a wicked affliction of penile cancer on LeBron, or whatever), I don't ever take what's said literally. It's metaphor. Hyperbole. I get it. (At least, I think I do.)

I engage in that sort of stuff myself - to a point. I can't really recall who the objects of my scorn have been, truth be told.

I said tumor at the base of his spine. I spoke nothing of his junk. Now I think the funnier outcome would be for the trophy to get trace amounts of flesh eating bacteria on it (it is Cleveland after all) and we find out later that it spread to his colon from him shoving it up there good and deep. You know, because a giant ###### like that should probably have an ###### big enough to fit the trophy up there.

Edited by Drunkard

I said tumor at the base of his spine. I spoke nothing of his junk. 

Ah, quite so.

Now I think the funnier outcome would be for the trophy to get trace amounts of flesh eating bacteria on it (it is Cleveland after all) and we find out later that it spread to his colon from him shoving it up there good and deep. You know, because a giant ###### like that should probably have an ###### big enough to fit the trophy up there.

See, folks. My take on stuff like this is either that it can't possibly be meant literally, or, if it is, I just have to pretend that it isn't.

Ah, quite so.

See, folks. My take on stuff like this is either that it can't possibly be meant literally, or, if it is, I just have to pretend that it isn't.

Unfortunately since I don't have super powers it doesn't really matter whether I mean it or not (hint: I do). My level of hate for him doesn't quite reach the level of Louis CK's hatred of deer from the chewed up special, but it's close.

That was the most incredible championship in any sport I've been alive for. Incredible.

LeBron with the greatest championship (entire series) performance I've ever seen. He led both teams in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Incredible.

52-year drought ends on a three-game winning streak. No team has EVER won the NBA Finals when being down 3-1 (Cleveland was only the third team to force a game seven in that scenario). Steve Kerr, in two amazing seasons, had never lost three straight as an NBA coach. Golden State only lost consecutive games twice this season (against OKC in the conference finals and here in the finals). They hadn't lost three straight all season.

They also had to do it by beating the best team (by record) in NBA history three consecutive times.

Well summed up. It was an astounding performance from Lebron, and the Cavs. And they not only won 3 in a row to close it out, TWO of those were IN Golden State. Insane. Watching Lebron win was watching greatness unfold, watching history, watching him cement himself as a legend. It was amazing to behold, and I am grateful to have seen it. Cheer for him for the same reason I cheered for Tiger. Watching greatness unfold in sports is awesome. 

Not a chance. Besides, now that he won in Cleveland, he can go 0fer the remainder of his career there (I mean wins, not championships) and nobody would care.

For sure. He's cemented his legend with this win. 

Whole lot of fun to watch a true "GOAT" will his team to victory.

If LeBron had executed that dunk in the final seconds over Green, I feel like the universe would've collapsed in on itself.

That sprinting block pin against the backboard without committing a foul may have been the greatest athletic play under pressure I've ever seen.

God bless Cleveland.

Watching that play, the block, was the stuff of sports mythos. Not being hyperbolic. It seemed to be in slow motion, and Lebron seemed to jump higher that it would look to be possible, with how the play unfolded. After that play, I was thinking that they just HAD to find a way to win that game. Dude is officially a basketball and sports legend, haters irrelevant. 

Edited by Thorny

Unfortunately since I don't have super powers it doesn't really matter whether I mean it or not (hint: I do). My level of hate for him doesn't quite reach the level of Louis CK's hatred of deer from the chewed up special, but it's close.

I take your meaning. The fact that you're talking about CK gives me confidence that I do.

Holy cripes: That bit about the lengths he would go to in order to kill those deer was unlike anything I've ever heard. And it remains so.

Watching that play, the block, was the stuff of sports mythos. Not being hyperbolic. It seemed to be in slow motion, and Lebron seemed to jump higher that it would look to be possible, with how the play unfolded. After that play, I was thinking that they just HAD to find a way to win that game. Dude is officially a basketball and sports legend, haters irrelevant. 

Until further notice, that play belongs in whatever pantheon of great plays anyone cares to assemble.

In a move sure to summarily reverse Drunkard's opinion...LeBron arrives in Cleveland wearing an Ultimate Warrior Tshirt. 10/10 troll job.

Yep. No messiah complex there. True humility I'm sure. What a swell guy. Salt of the earth. They should burn down a soup kitchen, animal shelter, or orphanage in order to free up the space to build a shrine in his honor. I probably spoiled the next 30 for 30 series.

I take your meaning. The fact that you're talking about CK gives me confidence that I do.

Holy cripes: That bit about the lengths he would go to in order to kill those deer was unlike anything I've ever heard. And it remains so.

Until further notice, that play belongs in whatever pantheon of great plays anyone cares to assemble.

Yes, sir. It was after watching that special that I truly realized that I'm not doing enough with my hate. Passively wishing ill and harm on those I hate instead of actively doing something stop them all. At least if I believed in God I could pray for it, but prayer isn't really a useful option as an atheist. Maybe I should trying praying to the pagan Gods to smite my enemies, but I think Odin would probably perceive that as weakness and come after me instead in true Viking fashion.

Yep. No messiah complex there. True humility I'm sure. What a swell guy. Salt of the earth. They should burn down a soup kitchen, animal shelter, or orphanage in order to free up the space to build a shrine in his honor. I probably spoiled the next 30 for 30 series.

I think it's great. I miss the days of genuine animosity between players and teams, and I really believe he and the Warriors dislike each other. I want more of this sort of thing, it's fun!

Game 7 eclipsed 30 million viewers, finishing with 30.8 million. The game peaked with 44.511 million viewers in the fourth.

But they didn't shut down Cleveland's viewing party, how are ratings so high? Yes. sarcasm.