The other sports thread

Eleven

Whole lot of fun to watch a true "GOAT" will his team to victory.

If LeBron had executed that dunk in the final seconds over Green, I feel like the universe would've collapsed in on itself.

That sprinting block pin against the backboard without committing a foul may have been the greatest athletic play under pressure I've ever seen.

God bless Cleveland.

Well, I hope all you Cleveland sympathizers are happy. That attention Lebron is going to have even more of a messiah complex now. Didn't watch a single minute of it but the google app on my phone felt the need to inform me of his victory (not Cleveland's it specifically said Lebron won it). To steal a quote from George Carlin though maybe he'll get an inoperable tumor at the base of his spine. I'll hope for that.

Well, I hope all you Cleveland sympathizers are happy. That attention ###### Lebron is going to have even more of a messiah complex now. Didn't watch a single minute of it but the google app on my phone felt the need to inform me of his victory (not Cleveland's it specifically said Lebron won it). To steal a quote from George Carlin though maybe he'll get an inoperable tumor at the base of his spine. I'll hope for that.

Come on man. 

Well, I hope all you Cleveland sympathizers are happy. That attention ###### Lebron is going to have even more of a messiah complex now. Didn't watch a single minute of it but the google app on my phone felt the need to inform me of his victory (not Cleveland's it specifically said Lebron won it). To steal a quote from George Carlin though maybe he'll get an inoperable tumor at the base of his spine. I'll hope for that.

Hoo boy.

You're right. That's too easy on him. I hope that tumor also gets super aids or some sort of flesh eating virus. Thanks, Dark. I've seen the error of my ways.

c7Rhzrm.jpg

That's a weird take.

From where I sit -- between Cleveland getting a title and LeBron being part of one of the more bizarre redemption stories ever -- it's just a wonderful sports story.

There's awfulness and misery aplenty out there in the world. If you're looking for it, you'll encounter no shortage.

You're right. That's too easy on him. I hope that tumor also gets super aids or some sort of flesh eating virus. Thanks, Dark. I've seen the error of my ways.

Did LeBron steal your lunch money or something? That's a lot of vitriol for no good reason. Dude practically willed his team to game 7. 

If he's got a messiah complex, perhaps he's earned it. 

Did LeBron steal your lunch money or something? That's a lot of vitriol for no good reason. Dude practically willed his team to game 7. 

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. It was fairly unreal.

Hockey's too much of a team sport, I think, for something like that to occur.

So your hatred for one individual trumps all of the joy and happiness of the Cleveland fan base?

That's a weird take.

From where I sit -- between Cleveland getting a title and LeBron being part of one of the more bizarre redemption stories ever -- it's just a wonderful sports story.

There's awfulness and misery aplenty out there in the world. If you're looking for it, you'll encounter no shortage.

Got it, Professor. It has been decreed. We have to be happy for Cleveland, for some reason, and can't look at their title with any kind of envy or resentment. See also: #gottalovethatmcdavidkid.

This is beautiful.

Dust warning.

Finally watched it. This could easily go in the awesome thread.

Seriously. He played 47 minutes! 13th season in the league, 6th straight Finals appearance, essentially doesn't sit down in game 7 on the road with the weight of an entire city on his back...and he finds juice for that block! One of the greatest athletic feats I've ever seen.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. It was fairly unreal.

Hockey's too much of a team sport, I think, for something like that to occur.

A super hot goalie is comparable, I think. Though certainly less reliable. Don't think a skater can come close, though.

Got it, Professor. It has been decreed. We have to be happy for Cleveland, for some reason, and can't look at their title with any kind of envy or resentment. See also: #gottalovethatmcdavidkid.

Go ahead and be mad out of jealousy, if you like. But to dump on an entire fan base because of one athlete you dislike? Weaksauce.

There is room between the extremes, we're not asking him to love Cleveland so much as we are saying that it's a little over the top to wish painful death on an athlete because he's the best on the planet and is aware of it, while still being a good guy from everything I've seen.

I'm not decreeing anything. To each their own.

My only point is that, if you're looking at what happened with the Cavs, and are left feeling hate for LeBron, dismay over another team getting theirs before we get ours, or the like, then there's probably nothing left for me to say to you on that topic. Other maybe than:

There is room between the extremes, we're not asking him to love Cleveland so much as we are saying that it's a little over the top to wish painful death on an athlete because he's the best on the planet and is aware of it, while still being a good guy from everything I've seen.

Take a look upthread, though. PA stakes out a different position.

George Carlin is not smiling down on you right now.

My last word on this (because I honestly don't give two rat's about the NBA) is that I will remember the moral necessity to feel joy for other championship-starved fans when the Leafs win the Cup in two years.

It all stems from that Decision nonsense and all the press/media from it. Don't worry there's still plenty of hate to go around for the likes of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Vince Wilfork, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Zdeno Chara, or whomever you deem it's ok for me to use it on. I hate his guts. You don't. It happens.

So your hatred for one individual trumps all of the joy and happiness of the Cleveland fan base?

Yes it does. To the nth degree in fact. It's a simple formula. There's a ton of Cleveland fans but my feelings on them are basically neutral where my feelings on the bouncy ball messiah are completely negative so that tips the scales overall to negative.

My last word on this (because I honestly don't give two rat's ###### about the NBA) is that I will remember the moral necessity to feel joy for other championship-starved fans when the Leafs win the Cup in two years.

Each case is taken on its own merits. Cleveland's a special case, for me. Have you been there? Spent time there? Cleveland and Buffalo are so, so similar in so many ways. I really do love that town. I love that town in a way that I do not love Toronto. Or even Pittsburgh, for that matter.

I would not expect to be happy for the Leafs for the same reason(s). But I might be a little happy for them -- dependent on the circumstances, of course. (I've elsewhere discussed why I have love for the Leafs that many (most) here do not.)

It all stems from that Decision nonsense and all the press/media from it. Don't worry there's still plenty of hate to go around for the likes of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Vince Wilfork, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Zdeno Chara, or whomever you deem it's ok for me to use it on. I hate his guts. You don't. It happens.

Yes it does. To the nth degree in fact. It's a simple formula. There's a ton of Cleveland fans but my feelings on them are basically neutral where my feelings on the bouncy ball messiah are completely negative so that tips the scales overall to negative.

Man, the decision is ancient history. Irrelevant. He came back to Cleveland and fulfilled his destiny. The decision stopped mattering the moment that final buzzer sounded last night.