The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

Why are these guys going on about a return to wooden sticks?  Scoring is low enough as it is.

I don't know; seems like you can't score with a broken stick.  These composite things fly apart all the time.  The old wooden ones broke once in a while, but now there seem to be several broken sticks every period.  I can see the argument for going back to old wooden sticks.

The stick breakage rates between wood and composite have been reported to be substantially similar, but composite sticks shatter/break catastrophically, whereas the wood ones often degenerated slowly and noticeably, so that they could be changed out without affecting on-ice play.  And of course for us hockey-playing plebians, that's a lot more money spent on twigs.

• 1 month later...

I have heard this rant several times since the season ended...Peters is hell bent on Reinhart starting the year in Rochester, instead of, "Let's see how he looks in rookie camp, training camp and preseason games.  If he is ready he stays, if not, he goes to Rochester".

Not sure why it is that hard of a concept for him to understand.  Then again, he is probably hoping a 4th line grinder like McCormick or Ellis gets the spot over one of the key future pieces of the Sabres.

On a related note, he has been touting McKee for an assistant coach position over and over again.  No solid logic behind his position other than him being friends with McKee.

What a knucklehead. 

Edited by LabattBlue

I have heard this rant several times since the season ended...Peters is hell bent on Reinhart starting the year in Rochester, instead of, "Let's see how he looks in rookie camp, training camp and preseason games.  If he is ready he stays, if not, he goes to Rochester".

Not sure why it is that hard of a concept for him to understand.  Then again, he is probably hoping a 4th line grinder like McCormick or Ellis gets the spot over one of the key future pieces of the Sabres.

On a related note, he has been touting McKee for an assistant coach position over and over again.  No solid logic behind his position other than him being friends with McKee.

What a knucklehead. 

You need him to be ready to play in your top 6. there is no use having him take over McCormack's role on the 4th line. If he isn't top 6 ready then you need him to go to Roch.

You need him to be ready to play in your top 6. there is no use having him take over McCormack's role on the 4th line. If he isn't top 6 ready then you need him to go to Roch.

I agree with that.  I didn't mean that Reinhart would be on the 4th line, just that Peters would rather have 12 forwards...all 4th line grinders.

I think Jay McKee is a coach for the Erie Otters currently so he does have some experience.  I am not sure how good of a coach he is.  

As for Sammy, my only concern with putting him in the AHL is his main attribute is his ability to dissect plays faster and playmake based off of that.  I think he really needs to be force fed minutes until he gets up to speed.  Now that being said, I would not be upset or surprised if he ended up in the AHL.  It really depends on his lower body strength.  

What a knucklehead. 

Or maybe Peters just feels very strongly that a season start in the AHL is the very best way to develop all but the most unique players?

*at work, can't listen, has no idea what he said*

I think Jay McKee is a coach for the Erie Otters currently so he does have some experience.  I am not sure how good of a coach he is.  

As for Sammy, my only concern with putting him in the AHL is his main attribute is his ability to dissect plays faster and playmake based off of that.  I think he really needs to be force fed minutes until he gets up to speed.  Now that being said, I would not be upset or surprised if he ended up in the AHL.  It really depends on his lower body strength.  

McKee was with Amerks in 2011 too as an assistant.  It was weird, he was brought on as a d-coach obviously but Cassidy ran the d door during games and McKee forwards.  Kevin O with some additional detail here.  From my seat, his twitter used to be pretty edgy, or least unprofessional relative to his desired peer group of NHL coaches.  Maybe he's cleaned that up along with this campaign.

He has a series of one year stops so far.  One year as an assistant at Niagara (NCAA), one with the Amerks, and now one with the Otters.  I get the feeling that if he's going to get back into the pro coaching game, he's going to first get some time as an assistant at the AHL level again.

I can hardley tolerate listening to Peters when he starts in with the 4th line grinder sermon! I really hope that i never need to see Matt Ellis or any player of his skill level on this team ever again.

As for Samson, if Roch. is the best place for him to get his feet wet thats fine. but I would expect him to get some significant time in Buffalo.

I also hope they can give Grig's a fair look in training camp as I thought it looked like the light was turning on with him at the end of last season.

Or maybe Peters just feels very strongly that a season start in the AHL is the very best way to develop all but the most unique players?

*at work, can't listen, has no idea what he said*

My point is why not wait and see how things go in July, Aug & Sep before he proclaims the best place for him to be is in Rochester?

My point is why not wait and see how things go in July, Aug & Sep before he proclaims the best place for him to be is in Rochester?

Because it's Andrew Peters. He made the NHL by getting punched in the face. From his life experience you have to earn being in the NHL; but he has no perspective as to how the talented people should be treated.

What a knucklehead.

My biggest concern with Reinhart playing in Rochester is that there seems to be even more head hunters and cheap shot artists down there (AHL) than there are in the NHL. Ristolainen got a concussion down there and I believe Girgensons did as well if I remember right. Reinhart is a blue chip prospect and if Murray and Bylsma believe that's the best place for him then I'm ok with sending him there but we better find a goon of our own who can skate to put on his wing, similar to a guy like Deslauriers.

Hell, maybe if Kaleta fails to make the roster or get a new contract they can sign him to play in Rochester. He's certainly fast enough to keep up with Reinhart.

Edited by Drunkard

• 2 weeks later...

Sammy Reinhart is on WGR right now. He admires the young guys on Tampa. 

Also talking about being disappointed going back to junior but really listened to the reasons why he had to go down and has worked on it.

Side note I am 18 posts away from 15,000 and need some good ideas for that.

Edited by LGR4GM

Also talking about being disappointed going back to junior but really listened to the reasons why he had to go down and has worked on it.

Daym, son.  Didn't you just hit 10,000 a few months ago?

You are one prolific dude Liger. My Gawd you've reached that milestone in record time. Congrats

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.