The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

I'm the last person who can be accused of being on a high horse. I'm rolling in the hay with the rest of you. I came around to the tank. But there's a barn I won't go in, and I take a measure of pride in that.

This thread has won the internet equinine/scatalogical/metaphor of the year in the discussion board category.

Nice work. :)

And there you have it.

There is something wrong with showing up and cheering for the team to lose.  It can't be easy on the players, especially those who may not be here next year.

Bull ! Fans root for the laundry. The players come and go, the laundry is the only constant regardless of what color scheme it may take at any given time. Fans are the stewards of the passion for the laundry, and wanting the best players to wear it; wanting great achievement from those that don it is the value proposition that drives the business of pro sports. Lose the passion, brand loyalty or whatever you want to name it and the value goes away. For the investment you and other sth make, you could choose a myriad of other options with a better return. You make the commitment because of the passion to see not only quality execution but achievement at the highest level as measured by winning championships. If the fans are maintaining that passion at the expense of the current renters of the laundry, so be it. The hope for the future and the fact that they still care, should be lauded not criticized. Buy a lemon from ford, and chances are you won't buy another. Yet Sabres fans have been given lemons for the vast majority of the franchise's history and yet the passion is still there. Someone finally acknowledges the value in that, takes steps to reward it, and publicly acknowledges that the goal is to ensure that passion and loyalty is rewarded consistently for the foreseeable future and the local meatheads see there sheltered parochial worldview imploding. em! There are no guarantees but I will grab hold of the rope and pull because we're pulling in the right direction. Lead, follow or get the out of the way!

This is not aimed at you Eleven. Just a visceral reaction to this idea that we need to temper whatever emotions we have about the current state of affairs to bow to some etiquette that does not and never has any valid reason for existence.

Bull ######! Fans root for the laundry. The players come and go, the laundry is the only constant regardless of what color scheme it may take at any given time. Fans are the stewards of the passion for the laundry, and wanting the best players to wear it; wanting great achievement from those that don it is the value proposition that drives the business of pro sports. Lose the passion, brand loyalty or whatever you want to name it and the value goes away. For the investment you and other sth make, you could choose a myriad of other options with a better return. You make the commitment because of the passion to see not only quality execution but achievement at the highest level as measured by winning championships. If the fans are maintaining that passion at the expense of the current renters of the laundry, so be it. The hope for the future and the fact that they still care, should be lauded not criticized. Buy a lemon from ford, and chances are you won't buy another. Yet Sabres fans have been given lemons for the vast majority of the franchise's history and yet the passion is still there. Someone finally acknowledges the value in that, takes steps to reward it, and publicly acknowledges that the goal is to ensure that passion and loyalty is rewarded consistently for the foreseeable future and the local meatheads see there sheltered parochial worldview imploding. ###### em! There are no guarantees but I will grab hold of the rope and pull because we're pulling in the right direction. Lead, follow or get the ###### out of the way!

This is not aimed at you Eleven. Just a visceral reaction to this idea that we need to temper whatever emotions we have about the current state of affairs to bow to some etiquette that does not and never has any valid reason for existence.

I didn't really have a dog in this fight until this post.

You can do everything you said at home. You know you are going to see some bad hockey. Why go to the game, then?… just to deride the current "renters of the laundry". Seems like a douche move to me.

Bull ######! Fans root for the laundry. The players come and go, the laundry is the only constant regardless of what color scheme it may take at any given time. Fans are the stewards of the passion for the laundry, and wanting the best players to wear it; wanting great achievement from those that don it is the value proposition that drives the business of pro sports. Lose the passion, brand loyalty or whatever you want to name it and the value goes away. For the investment you and other sth make, you could choose a myriad of other options with a better return. You make the commitment because of the passion to see not only quality execution but achievement at the highest level as measured by winning championships. If the fans are maintaining that passion at the expense of the current renters of the laundry, so be it. The hope for the future and the fact that they still care, should be lauded not criticized. Buy a lemon from ford, and chances are you won't buy another. Yet Sabres fans have been given lemons for the vast majority of the franchise's history and yet the passion is still there. Someone finally acknowledges the value in that, takes steps to reward it, and publicly acknowledges that the goal is to ensure that passion and loyalty is rewarded consistently for the foreseeable future and the local meatheads see there sheltered parochial worldview imploding. ###### em! There are no guarantees but I will grab hold of the rope and pull because we're pulling in the right direction. Lead, follow or get the ###### out of the way!

This is a fantastic post. It really is. But I think it's too bad that fans like you are lumped in with/want to be lumped in with the a-holes who made their voices heard the other night. This is just my impression, but if I could get 20 tankers from this board and 20 of those a-holes together in a room... well, I bet there'd be very little you have in common. I bet you didn't, and wouldn't, cheer against the Sabres in the arena. Wearing a Coyotes jersey didn't take passion. It took a troll.

Sheltered parochial worldview. Schopp was pushing this negative view of anti-tankers yesterday, like they're anti-progress or flat-earthers or something. There are other reasonable views about how to build a Cup-winner. What the Sabres have done is one extreme. There is middle ground. How many teams in the Sabres' neighborhood in the standings in early 2013 have taken a similar path?

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

You can do everything you said at home. You know you are going to see some bad hockey. Why go to the game, then?… just to deride the current "renters of the laundry". Seems like a douche move to me.

Not a fight. I don't think anyone intentionally went to the game to deride anyone. There was no malice afore thought to make a personal attack on Mike Weber or any other person. Anyone buying a ticket has the right to express their satisfaction or otherwise with the product on the ice. I do draw the line at hooliganism, endangering player safety or fellow patron safety and vulgarity. But cheering for what you may believe is in the best interest, whether founded or unfounded, of the team is well within their right. Would I have done it? No I would have watched from the comfort of home. But the local media is way off on the impact of this. I read through the national coverage and not many pundits found the idea unreasonable. Context is key. Greenberg, who I generally despise, made the point that under the current system, a true fan of the team would embrace any events that could turn losing into a gain, namely draft position. If the fans didn't care about the team in whatever way they define care, they would have gone to a movie or seen a band or whatever. Once people stop caring, the end is nigh. Places like this forum would go away.

This is a fantastic post. It really is. But I think it's too bad that fans like you are lumped in with/want to be lumped in with the a-holes who made their voices heard the other night. This is just my impression, but if I could get 20 tankers from this board and 20 of those a-holes together in a room... well, I bet there'd be very little you have in common. I bet you didn't, and wouldn't, cheer against the Sabres in the arena. Wearing a Coyotes jersey didn't take passion. It took a troll.

Sheltered parochial worldview. Schopp was pushing this negative view of anti-tankers yesterday, like they're anti-progress or flat-earthers or something. There are other reasonable views about how to build a Cup-winner. What the Sabres have done is one extreme. There is middle ground. How many teams in the Sabres' neighborhood in the standings in early 2013 have taken a similar path?

i am not making this about whether the tank or anti tanker stance or some middle ground is correct, moral or otherwise. If fans, however misguided they maybe stop caring, then it really doesn't matter. The jags are what I am referring to. Nobody cares. My point about Gleason and the BN cabal is that what is going on right now is not novel, moral, immoral, right wrong, it simply is what it is. I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it. To a lesser extent this is how I feel about fans, who btw paid the price of admission, to emote how they choose. The season is effectively over, the finish and the outcome are the only things that keep the interest for some. Tempest in a teapot. And for the record, I held my own monologue I the CHL thread during the game so as to respect those who wanted to comment in the gdt wo the usual downward spiral. Help this season find a nice hospice so it can spend its last days in peace and expire without too much pain.

Not a fight. I don't think anyone intentionally went to the game to deride anyone. There was no malice afore thought to make a personal attack on Mike Weber or any other person. Anyone buying a ticket has the right to express their satisfaction or otherwise with the product on the ice. I do draw the line at hooliganism, endangering player safety or fellow patron safety and vulgarity. But cheering for what you may believe is in the best interest, whether founded or unfounded, of the team is well within their right. Would I have done it? No I would have watched from the comfort of home. But the local media is way off on the impact of this. I read through the national coverage and not many pundits found the idea unreasonable. Context is key. Greenberg, who I generally despise, made the point that under the current system, a true fan of the team would embrace any events that could turn losing into a gain, namely draft position. If the fans didn't care about the team in whatever way they define care, they would have gone to a movie or seen a band or whatever. Once people stop caring, the end is nigh. Places like this forum would go away.

Except for maybe this guy. :lol:

post-1429-0-84479100-1427554880.jpg

Ok, but all of that said, why be vocal about it in front of the players?  What is the point of that?

I've got three games left.  At this point, even I'm rooting for them to lose, like almost everyone.  But I'll just sit on my hands at the games. 

Ok, but all of that said, why be vocal about it in front of the players?  What is the point of that?

I've got three games left.  At this point, even I'm rooting for them to lose, like almost everyone.  But I'll just sit on my hands at the games. 

I wouldn't go that far, I don't think you're allowed to bring camal packs or beer helmets into the game

Ok, but all of that said, why be vocal about it in front of the players? What is the point of that?

I've got three games left. At this point, even I'm rooting for them to lose, like almost everyone. But I'll just sit on my hands at the games.

I think it was just raw emotion coming out. I don't think many went in with the intent of cheering for the Yotes, but with the way the game ended up playing out, it just sorta happened.

And I will also defend to the death your right to do so.

Been to several games this year and had no trouble managing myself as follows.

1. Cheer loudly for all Sabres goals.

2. Quiet smirk when the other team scores.

3. Silently hope like hell the Sabres play well but lose.

Can't guarantee I wouldn't have yelped out loud and clapped when Arizona scored the OT goal (as I did at the sports bar I was at). So I certainly understand those who let their emotions out. I have tickets to the Chicago game...hope the technique still works.

So, you want passionate sports fans, who have had to endure several seasons of tank, who see the end of the tunnel, and who are looking forward to a championship, to sit on thier hands during a game and not express their emotions?

That's cruel, ridiculous, and unrealistic.

I thinks it is absolutely ok to "quietly" want the team to not beat Arizona and lose. Only because they have a shot at a generational player. Any other year, it's not ok.

But the fans who cheered when Arizona scored, should be feeling some shame. Like others have said, quiet fist pump is sufficient. No need to make the team feel like crap.

As for Bucky Gleason's article... loved the post from someone who went back into the ol' archives. It was unfathomable for Reiger not to do all he could to make the team as bad as possible, therefore getting the best shot at #1. But this year, when the "nextest one" is available, it's embarrassing? Come on Bucky. Grow up. Use your head. Tanking is never ok, but don't crap on the management for how this team is set up for this year. Next year, no matter who they draft, the team will start to climb up the ladder.

So, you want passionate sports fans, who have had to endure several seasons of tank, who see the end of the tunnel, and who are looking forward to a championship, to sit on thier hands during a game and not express their emotions?

That's cruel, ridiculous, and unrealistic.

Good point. I think in an arena full of people it is nearly impossible to withhold passion and strong feelings. That's why I am not sure I could just "sit on my hands" when the OT goal was scored by Arizona. I don't trust my own self control to that degree.

Good point. I think in an arena full of people it is nearly impossible to withhold passion and strong feelings. That's why I am not sure I could just "sit on my hands" when the OT goal was scored by Arizona. I don't trust my own self control to that degree.

That's why you sit on your hands!

Yes, the Sabres could, and I think probably will be, in the playoffs next year. We are adding three scoring forwards. Four if Girgensons is included. I'm sure they will pick up a player in free agency--hopefully a solid defenseman, and hopefully someone that can make the power play better. If the goaltending stays solid they should easily move into the middle of the pact somewhere. More scoring, a better power play, improved defense for a variety of reasons and this team should be starting to win again

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.