The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy listening to Howard and Jeremy, and I particularly find Jeremy to be very funny.  But he definitely has been preaching about losing far too vehemently and for far too long.

Another thing I hate about this is that they always talk about the anti tankers in terms of morals or ethics. I really don't give a crap about that. Tanking is a completely valid method of rebuilding, There is nothing morally deficient about it in my eyes.

I just think it's a cop-out. Tim Murry's job is to build a team that will win the Stanley Cup. Period. All tanking does is make his job easier. I wasn't willing to sacrifice three seasons just so the GM doesn't have to work as hard.

Another thing I hate about this is that they always talk about the anti tankers in terms of morals or ethics. I really don't give a crap about that. Tanking is a completely valid method of rebuilding, There is nothing morally deficient about it in my eyes.

I just think it's a cop-out. Tim Murry's job is to build a team that will win the Stanley Cup. Period. All tanking does is make his job easier. I wasn't willing to sacrifice three seasons just so the GM doesn't have to work as hard.

good point..i never saw it that way

Yea. I think the whole issue has really been sustained by Jeremy on WGR talking about it nonstop.  Partially in his defesne, what else is he supposed to fill airtime with? This team still lacks real talent so they lost again....

Gretzky Lemieux Crosby etc..

the fact is generational players make the odds of winning it all much higher. I'm sick and tired of being a brides maid and if tanking for 3 seasons is what it takes to get a generational player than I was is and will continue to be on board.

We've tried it the other ways and it has never worked out in Buffalo. Been thru 4 superbowls and 2 Stanley cups and I'm 0-6 like most of us... I'm just no longer willing to do it the other way, been down that road too many times.

Nope I actually view what Murray is doing as the harder thing. It easier to to make a half ass team that doesn't finish last. Its harder to face the media and fans and trade away players that really aren't part of the future but make your team worse in the short term, and deal with all the fall out.

Edited by ddaryl

Valid point, and maybe GMTM would have done things differently had DR been let go sooner, but by the time he arrived I really think the die was cast and he didn't have much choice but to go down the ###### filled tank road.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I hope to God I never have to do business with you....

Valid point, and maybe GMTM would have done things differently had DR been let go sooner, but by the time he arrived I really think the die was cast and he didn't have much choice but to go down the ###### filled tank road.

I think this is exactly it. Looking at Murray's offseason and Kane trade, I just don't see him as the scorched earth type. But he really didn't have much of a choice at the time he arrived.

As far as Bucky goes...he is forever going to hold a grudge that his boys LaFontaine and Nolan won't be around when the team is good.

I hope to God I never have to do business with you....

:Lol: I just meant as they relate to the tank, because I don't think they apply.

I think this is exactly it. Looking at Murray's offseason and Kane trade, I just don't see him as the scorched earth type. But he really didn't have much of a choice at the time he arrived. As far as Bucky goes...he is forever going to hold a grudge that his boys LaFontaine and Nolan won't be around when the team is good.

Absolutely about GMTM. He had no choice. It doesn't speak too highly, though, about an organization that is willing to sell this product to its customers for as long as they have, all while raising prices. Uh oh, now I sound like PAgarbagestain.

And ddaryl, some of us don't believe Darcy ever actually tried to win a SC. He only did just enough to maybe luck into one.

I wish someone from the morning show would call to challenge Peters. He's trashing the WGR staff that are for the tank.

The tankers get the entire rest of the day, all 22 hours of it. Can you please just leave our little 2 hour island alone. :lol:

The tankers get the entire rest of the day, all 22 hours of it. Can you please just leave our little 2 hour island alone. :lol:

I'd like both sides to be on at the same time to debate the issue. Peters should have called in during the Simon show if it was so offensive, or call the afternoon show.

Buffalo is the literal butt of all sports jokes.  We have been beaten down for decades, not years, decades.  That a fan base so long abused by middling teams, terrible ownership, threats of moving, complete and utter irrelevance to whatever sport their team is in, would suddenly reach the point where they say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" should not be a surprise.  Sports is an emotional investment and currently our fans are emotionally invested in 1 thing, actually getting the player they deserve and need right now.  Pittsburgh tanked, Toronto is trying to tank, Edmonton has sucked for years, hell even LA and Chicago have top overall picks.  What because the Sabres fan base is educated and smart enough to understand what the hell is happening we are evil?  Fine then, let us be evil because being upright rule followers has gotten us precisely dick.  So if to get ahead we have to burn the system down, so be it. Nice guys finish last and fortune always will favor the bold.  

The 1 thing Petey (and probably Bucky, don't read his articles, so don't know for sure) is forgetting is the reason there were people in the rink cheering the game winner was THEY ACTUALLY PAID THEIR MONEY AND CARED ENOUGH ABOUT THIS S***SANDWICH THEY'RE BEING FED TO ACTUALLY SHOW UP. How many other places are the fans going to essentially sell out the building at the end of what in all likelihood is a second consecutive last place finish?

Nowhere else in the US is that going to happen; and it probably wouldn't happen in Canada either. So, to Petey, just remember that if it weren't for the people in WNY caring enough about this team to want to actually be entertained by it in the future, you'd be selling used cars somewhere near Mississauga in all likelihood.

at the end of the day - Fans made a business decision to cheer for the Coyotes. Players get to do it all the time when they are free-agents. They do whats best for them - not the fans. Well it was our turn last night.

Business decision? OK. But only if that decision advanced some cause. It didn't. It was just trolly, douchebaggy tomfoolery.

The 1 thing Petey (and probably Bucky, don't read his articles, so don't know for sure) is forgetting is the reason there were people in the rink cheering the game winner was THEY ACTUALLY PAID THEIR MONEY AND CARED ENOUGH ABOUT THIS S***SANDWICH THEY'RE BEING FED TO ACTUALLY SHOW UP. How many other places are the fans going to essentially sell out the building at the end of what in all likelihood is a second consecutive last place finish?

Nowhere else in the US is that going to happen; and it probably wouldn't happen in Canada either. So, to Petey, just remember that if it weren't for the people in WNY caring enough about this team to want to actually be entertained by it in the future, you'd be selling used cars somewhere near Mississauga in all likelihood.

We agree, I think hell may have frozen. :P

Business decision? OK. But only if that decision advanced some cause. It didn't. It was just trolly, douchebaggy tomfoolery.

It does advance a cause.  Connor and Jack are a cause that leads to the effect of the Stanley Cup.

Aren't you the one that rails against the library-like atmosphere of the FNC? Now you're saying fans shouldn't make noise when what they're rooting for happens?

And there you have it.

There is something wrong with showing up and cheering for the team to lose.  It can't be easy on the players, especially those who may not be here next year.

Buffalo is the literal butt of all sports jokes.  We have been beaten down for decades, not years, decades.  That a fan base so long abused by middling teams, terrible ownership, threats of moving, complete and utter irrelevance to whatever sport their team is in, would suddenly reach the point where they say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" should not be a surprise.  Sports is an emotional investment and currently our fans are emotionally invested in 1 thing, actually getting the player they deserve and need right now.  Pittsburgh tanked, Toronto is trying to tank, Edmonton has sucked for years, hell even LA and Chicago have top overall picks.  What because the Sabres fan base is educated and smart enough to understand what the hell is happening we are evil?  Fine then, let us be evil because being upright rule followers has gotten us precisely dick.  So if to get ahead we have to burn the system down, so be it. Nice guys finish last and fortune always will favor the bold.  

:worthy:

A true NFG statement if there ever was one!

And there you have it.

There is something wrong with showing up and cheering for the team to lose.  It can't be easy on the players, especially those who may not be here next year.

who cares! How easy is it on fans who have to watch these guys play??!! 

Maybe the players would be better off in a city where no no one cares and only 7000 show up to the game? Then they can continue to lose in peace and quiet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.