The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

I don't listen to HH very often. In the past, I've been disappointed by the level of discourse. Go figure. But I turned it on just now because Rick was on, and Peters sounded completely coherent. He asked Rick a tremendous question: given what you know now about the impact of fighting on players' health, do you find yourself calling fights any less enthusiastically? (paraphrase). Great question. Poor, almost inhumane answer: As long as the league allows fighting, I'll call it the same way.

I don't listen to HH very often. In the past, I've been disappointed by the level of discourse. Go figure. But I turned it on just now because Rick was on, and Peters sounded completely coherent. He asked Rick a tremendous question: given what you know now about the impact of fighting on players' health, do you find yourself calling fights any less enthusiastically? (paraphrase). Great question. Poor, almost inhumane answer: As long as the league allows fighting, I'll call it the same way.

That is interesting.  I suppose boxing announcers still call fights the same way, too, but still, that is interesting.

On a related WGR note, the way Jeremy and Schopp have been celebrating yesterday's game of suckitude was downright nauseating.

Jeremy has been nauseating all season. I can't even imagine how much worse he's going to be if the Sabres get McDavid and start winning.

There are plenty here celebrating as well. Such is the sickness that is the tank. 

I'm on board with the rebuild. I want a franchise player to build around. The way they are acting is despicable. I'll be happy if the desired result is achieved but I'm not dancing a jig on the way there.

I'm on board with the rebuild. I want a franchise player to build around. The way they are acting is despicable. I'll be happy if the desired result is achieved but I'm not dancing a jig on the way there.

+1, the game in most if not all facets are hard to stomach.  33 more games to get through.  

There are plenty here celebrating as well. Such is the sickness that is the tank. 

I've had the following sayings stuck in my head all year: Win the battle, lose the war. Sell your soul to the devil.

That is interesting.  I suppose boxing announcers still call fights the same way, too, but still, that is interesting.

I think scummy boxing announcers would have always known what they were describing was savagery and injurious to the participants. How many boxers died after fights? You'd think Rick would have been enlightened only pretty recently, and would have answered in a different way, because I think he's a good man. It was also an odd answer, because I think his fight calls are a lot less wild, but then again he's slowed down across the board with age.

I've had the following sayings stuck in my head all year: Win the battle, lose the war. Sell your soul to the devil.

I think scummy boxing announcers would have always known what they were describing was savagery and injurious to the participants. How many boxers died after fights? You'd think Rick would have been enlightened only pretty recently, and would have answered in a different way, because I think he's a good man. It was also an odd answer, because I think his fight calls are a lot less wild, but then again he's slowed down across the board with age.

I had no problem with his answer. I thought it was completely appropriate. What's he supposed to do, act like Sarah McLachlan in an ASPCA commercial? Fights are exciting and I want my guys to win them.

I like the show because of how they arehandling this "tank" situation. I don't agree with them (for the most part I think they would rather have the Sabres win more games) but they seem a lot more tolerant and understanding of the people who think differently than others.

Mike Robitaille I like, but sometimes he is hard to listen to about this topic.  He has the same viewpoint as they do on HH, and I know he is a former player, but he goes over the top.

On the other side of this story, the GR morning show and afternoon show are all about finishing last.  I agree with that point of view, but what I don't like (ESPECIALLY the morning show) is whenever any caller wants to say they don't like that point of view, they go crazy, cutting off the caller, interrupting points..etc. That is the HARDEST thing to listen to. 

I wish the morning show would give their opinion, but don't make it sound like it is their holy crusade to convince everyone else, at whatever cost, that they are right.

Are his fight calls a lot less wild or are the fights themselves a lot less wild? It doesn't seem like there's much there with fights anymore, especially when compared to Ray's days.

Are his fight calls a lot less wild or are the fights themselves a lot less wild? It doesn't seem like there's much there with fights anymore, especially when compared to Ray's days.

That's a good point. The staged fights, the winks and nods, I hate that. Believe it or not, I tend to like the fights that grow organically out of the game. Well, I respond instinctively to them anyway, then a minute later I feel and ultimately I do want all of that out of the game.

That's a good point. The staged fights, the winks and nods, I hate that. Believe it or not, I tend to like the fights that grow organically out of the game. Well, I respond instinctively to them anyway, then a minute later I feel ###### and ultimately I do want all of that out of the game.

I think most people would agree with you on that. Fortunately, those organic fights don't seem to happen all that often, so you don't have too many chances to feel guilty.

Darn straight it was a good thing they lost that game. They now can afford to win 1 and still clinch 30th. So now, instead of hoping for the L before and after the game but pulling for them during the game, it's safe to pull for 'em right through, at least for now.

Those of us on board w/ the Tank are NOT the ones that broke up the middling team. Quite a few of us believed that shrewd trades and good FA acquisitions could have built that team into a contender. But now that they're here, and it absolutely stinks that they are here, they HAVE to finish the job.

The 2 games against the Desert Dogs are shaping up now to be high stakes as well. Hopefully the Yotes end up w/ several more W's before then, so that they aren't.

Only watched the last few minutes of last night's game. Didn't want to chance actively pulling for the outcome that we saw, so only accidentally caught the end.. (Probably won't watch either Yotes game for the same reason.) Was pulling for the 2nd goal, and even for a third. But when the horn went, it went back to the reality that that was the outcome they needed.

Realizing that the near term pain increases the likelihood of LT gain isn't a sickness.

Darn straight it was a good thing they lost that game. They now can afford to win 1 and still clinch 30th. So now, instead of hoping for the L before and after the game but pulling for them during the game, it's safe to pull for 'em right through, at least for now.

Those of us on board w/ the Tank are NOT the ones that broke up the middling team. Quite a few of us believed that shrewd trades and good FA acquisitions could have built that team into a contender. But now that they're here, and it absolutely stinks that they are here, they HAVE to finish the job.

Remember when many were here were hoping the 2009-10 team would lose in the first round of the playoffs. 

That was a 100 point team that won the division. I think hoping this train-wreck yields some fruit is forgivable. 

Darren dreger on now

Samson on now...

"I am secretly rooting that he could come to the Sabres."  Reinhart on playing with McDavid

I would like to add that Reinhart sounded different to me.  He seemed very intelligent and poised as always but somehow more sure of what he was saying and doing. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.