The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

Would I trade our 2015 1st rounder right now for Tavares? Absolutely.

1. Our chances of landing McDavid with that pick are 25% at best (and actually lower since they're changing the odds). Trading for Tavares is a 100% chance of having Tavares.

2. Having Tavares would speed up our rebuild and push us out of the basement even faster, meaning we wouldn't even be a bottom 5 team this year. (Less than 10% chance of landing McDavid.)

3. We still have the Islanders and Blues picks in the 1st.

4. This is less tangible than 1-3, but there'd be an awesome emotional benefit to the fans if we didn't have to quietly hope the team finishes dead last again this year.

(Note: this is all contigent on being confident Tavares will have no lasting effects from his injury last year.)

Also, trading our first round pick for Tavares almost guarantees that the Islands finish in last place.

1. Our chances of landing McDavid with that pick are 25% at best (and actually lower since they're changing the odds). Trading for Tavares is a 100% chance of having Tavares.

2. Having Tavares would speed up our rebuild and push us out of the basement even faster, meaning we wouldn't even be a bottom 5 team this year. (Less than 10% chance of landing McDavid.)

4. This is less tangible than 1-3, but there'd be an awesome emotional benefit to the fans if we didn't have to quietly hope the team finishes dead last again this year.

(Note: this is all contigent on being confident Tavares will have no lasting effects from his injury last year.)

Maybe we could trade the Islander #1 back to them for Tavares. :)

Yes. I'd make this trade at warp speed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

During a moment of Zen, sitting lakeside, with the Ipod (classic) on random-a-tator, this song came on.

Is this Kevin Sylvester? The color guy keeps calling him Kevin. If so, what's the game, and does he know he's on a Mogwai song?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to listen to yesterdays broadcast.

I CAN NOT believe that there are people, including the hosts, that think Tank Nation want the players to go out and not give it their best effort and try to lose on purpose.

How many times do people have to be hit over the head with this - I want the players to try, I don't expect them to roll over so that they eventually lose their jobs to McDavid/Eichel or whomever the Sabres draft.

However, I also want the Sabres management to put out a team that just isn't good enough to win on most nights.

I want management to put their prospects in the best place for them to develop - some will be with the Sabres, some in Roch and others in Juniors. If a guy like Risto is better off long term with the Amerks I want him with the Amerks - even if he is the 4th best D in the organization right now.

I've been a Sabres fan for 40 years, when I was young I used to cry when they lost, I wear my Sabres gear proudly while living in the middle of Leafs Nation. I travelled all over Southern Ontario to watch Sabres prospects play in the AHL and OHL. I am a true Sabres fan, I desperately want to see them lift the cup one day and this season - I will OPENLY hope that they lose.

Does that make me a bad fan? Or one that is tired of the way the Sabres have been doing business for my first 39 years and I'm willing to stick with this new plan and "suffer" for a couple of years.

Edited by Crusader1969

The duplicitous edge of tankdom.

We will have a team that does have the effort required to win.

We will have a team that does not have the talent required to win.

We will have a team that will consistently want to win.

We will have a team that will be unable to win consistently.

We will want our team to fight hard to win.

We will want our team to be hard fought to win.

We will cheer when we win some games.

We will cheer when we lose more games.

We will want your youth to turn to "grown ups."

We will want to turn to grown youth, "up yours."

3454b.jpg

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The duplicitous edge of tankdom.

We will have a team that does have the effort required to win.

We will have a team that does not have the talent required to win.

We will have a team that will consistently want to win.

We will have a team that will be unable to win consistently.

We will want our team to fight hard to win.

We will want our team to be hard fought to win.

We will cheer when we win some games.

We will cheer when we lose more games.

We will want your youth to turn to "grown ups."

We will want to turn to grown youth, "up yours."

3454b.jpg

Lol. For some reason I was hearing Winston Churchills voice as I read that then I scrolled down and saw this guy. Too funny.

If we lose in order to get better,… all we will get batter at is losing.

How many guys who start the season with the Sabres in 2016/17 are currently on the roster this year learning to lose? Maybe 6 or 7 of the 23? No one is learning to lose.

Seriously, what is the best the Sabres could do this year? is there anyone who honestly things this team could contend for the last playoff spot? This team will lose a lot this season - the question is "is it better to come last or in 7th last"??

It's better to come in last this year because I just don't see this team being a contender. In a deep draft like this one you could really position yourself to be a great team for years to come if you land one of the big two and then hit on your other two firsts. I would much rather have 1 top five rather than 6-12 because this team wants to play better. Goal is the Cup isn't it. I'm worried they beefed up the defense in front of whoever is the number 1 goalie. I think Enroth is going to be that guy and will be a lot better than people thought he would be. He has been waiting for this chance for how many years now?

How many guys who start the season with the Sabres in 2016/17 are currently on the roster this year learning to lose? Maybe 6 or 7 of the 23? No one is learning to lose.

Seriously, what is the best the Sabres could do this year? is there anyone who honestly things this team could contend for the last playoff spot? This team will lose a lot this season - the question is "is it better to come last or in 7th last"??

By setting our sights low, we keep our hopes high.

I think I'm only going to post like the Sphinx today.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.