Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

I love hearing about rumors and different player trade scenarios. If there is already a thread for this, then my bad. I think the sabres will use their first rounders to bring in that big center. I think our needs are a #1 center, a 2 new wingers. I'm thinking Getzlaf, Tavares, Or Thornton type for center. Parise and a winger that can grind and get us 20 goals.. Just my opinion

A player i would love for them to pick up with the gaustad pick would be Subban. If he has his brothers confidence and competitive drive he could develop into a great keeper. A year or two down the road he will be ready to start and Miller will still be young enough to fetch a considerable return in a trade.

Not necessarily the most aggressive short term move for the team but long run it could pay off.

I wonder if the Sabres will pick Griffen Reinhart, he is a team mate of Pysyk and at 6'4' 200lbs he is big. He is apparently a solid two way guy, not a player who just throws big checks or one who just scores (so not Dion Phaneuf or Mike Green). In a few years, if our D core was comprised of Myers, McNabb, Pysyk, Erhoff, Reinhart and someone, that would be a pretty awesome line up with an average height of 6'4'

My. God.

EHRHOFF.

A player i would love for them to pick up with the gaustad pick would be Subban. If he has his brothers confidence and competitive drive he could develop into a great keeper. A year or two down the road he will be ready to start and Miller will still be young enough to fetch a considerable return in a trade.

Not necessarily the most aggressive short term move for the team but long run it could pay off.

I'm not a big fan of taking a goalie that high in the draft. There seem to always be good goalies found in the mid to late rounds.

Thought this was an interesting note:

• The consensus #1 North American goalie, Malcolm Subban, comes from the OHL

-
While producing prolific skaters, the OHL has produced just
one
goalie since 2000 that has played more than 20 NHL games (Steve Mason)

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

I wouldn't hate them taking a goalie at #21, I wouldn't expect him to be NHL ready within 1 to 2 years however. At least 3, more likely 4 or 5. For comparison's sake Jack Campbell was drafted #11 by the Stars in 2010 and is just beginning his AHL career this year.

Thought this was an interesting note:

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

I wouldn't hate them taking a goalie at #21, I wouldn't expect him to be NHL ready within 1 to 2 years however. At least 3, more likely 4 or 5. For comparison's sake Jack Campbell was drafted #11 by the Stars in 2010 and is just beginning his AHL career this year.

I think I would blow a gasket if they took Subban at 21.

I still don't think Roy gets traded (if at all) until the trade deadline. So then we can discuss who the Sabres will pick in the 2013 draft. :)

You may very well be correct. Numerous write ups by various writers have Roy going nowhere this off season. And that would most likely dramatically increase his value at the 13 deadline. Which, depending on his seasonal performance, could potentially net anywhere from 10th overall to just outside of a mid 2nd rounder.

If we were to visit the pivot position with Roy still here in October, that would put Ennis, Hodgson and Roy as the 3 key pivot players, none of which screams size, and Regier himself commented on getting bigger down the middle, which I interpret as a "Roy is expendable" moment for him.

Should be an interesting off season for sure.

Yeah, the idea of him being ready within 1-2 years is pretty absurd. Let's look at this another way:

2011 drafted goalies:

0 NHL games combined (no surprise here)

2010 drafted goalies:

Campbell as you mentioned was the first to go at 11. No goalie from this draft has any NHL time yet.

2009 drafted goalies:

Mikko Koskinen was the first to be drafted, 31st over all. He has 4 games to his NHL career, all this year with the Islanders in mop up duty due to injuries. The next goalie selected, Robin Lehner (46th overall) has 16 games played with Ottawa, again, mostly due to injury. There are two more goalies from this draft with NHL games played and they're both due to injury call ups (another goalie with the Islanders, strangely enough).

2008 drafted goalies:

Braden Hotlby (93rd overall), with 21 games played plus his games in the playoffs this year. The rest of the draft has combined for 32 games played, and they're not players I've ever seen mentioned on any rising stars list.

2007 drafted goalies:

A combined 12 games from 2 goalies. Wow this one was weak.

2007 drafted goalies:

2006 drafted goalies:

Finally something of note. Jonathan Bernier went 11th overall and is just not trying to find his way into a starting role. He'd probably have been given that shot already if he wasn't trapped behind Quick. Varlamov went 23 and I think we can call him a starter at this point.

I'd go back further but it seems kind of pointless. That's the last 6 drafts and there are only 2 current starting goalies (assuming Holtby gets the job) out of the entire group. The last first round goalie to make a near immediate impact was Cary Price (5th overall in 2005). The other first round pick that year, Rask, is just now finally getting his shot.

I still don't think Roy gets traded (if at all) until the trade deadline. So then we can discuss who the Sabres will pick in the 2013 draft. :)

I don't like this line of thought at all. If Roy is traded at the deadline it most likely means we are sellers at the deadline. If we are sellers at the next deadline I will.... I will... I will..... well, I don't know what I'll do but I won't be happy while I'm doing it.

Assuming a positive scenario, Roy either moves in this offseason or plays out his contract with us because we are a playoff team and expect we'll need him for a run.

I suppose it is possible that he gets moved at the deadline in a both teams get what they need for the "now" scenario but those trades usually don't happen on deadline day. Do they?

I don't like this line of thought at all. If Roy is traded at the deadline it most likely means we are sellers at the deadline. If we are sellers at the next deadline I will.... I will... I will..... well, I don't know what I'll do but I won't be happy while I'm doing it.

Assuming a positive scenario, Roy either moves in this offseason or plays out his contract with us because we are a playoff team and expect we'll need him for a run.

I suppose it is possible that he gets moved at the deadline in a both teams get what they need for the "now" scenario but those trades usually don't happen on deadline day. Do they?

Roy sets career high in goals and points total this season.

There. I said it.

Roy sets career high in goals and points total this season.

There. I said it.

Well he certainly can't be worse....right?....RIGHT?

Seriously though, IF he's still here, I expect a very productive year from him offensively. This, however, is far from my ideal scenario.

Kevin Devine was on WGR this morning: http://audio.wgr550....e-nhl-draft.htm

Sounds like they're not planning on moving up, or taking a goalie.

The draft is less than 2 weeks away. Considering everything you'll read/hear about/from teams and anybody associated with those teams, how much do you think is actually believable versus a smoke screen? I'll go with under 5%. I'm not saying the Sabres are absolutely trying to move up, just saying that anything Devine (or Ruff, Regier, Black, Pegula for that matter) say from now until the draft means absolutely nothing to me.

The draft is less than 2 weeks away. Considering everything you'll read/hear about/from teams and anybody associated with those teams, how much do you think is actually believable versus a smoke screen? I'll go with under 5%. I'm not saying the Sabres are absolutely trying to move up, just saying that anything Devine (or Ruff, Regier, Black, Pegula for that matter) say from now until the draft means absolutely nothing to me.

I like Devine...he is pretty honest. I would have said the same thing last year, then I did some research and he is a pretty straight shooter who is a scout's. scout.

He said a few minutes after they drafted Myers....don't expect him to be the same player as Chara or Pronger because he isn't built the same way.

My guess is that they may have a guy targeted as top 5, but will only move up if he falls to 7 or 8. Then you can move 12 + 21 for 8 and a 3rd or 4th....something along those lines.

I like Devine...he is pretty honest. I would have said the same thing last year, then I did some research and he is a pretty straight shooter who is a scout's. scout.

He said a few minutes after they drafted Myers....don't expect him to be the same player as Chara or Pronger because he isn't built the same way.

My guess is that they may have a guy targeted as top 5, but will only move up if he falls to 7 or 8. Then you can move 12 + 21 for 8 and a 3rd or 4th....something along those lines.

He really is a straight shooter.

post-1429-0-93672100-1339442821_thumb.jpg

That's a reasonable scenario. Esp. if Galchenyuk or Forsberg fall to 6 or 7.

I don't imagine #8 is a trading partner as it is Carolina.

Fair enough. I think trading up to 7 or 8 is certainly reasonable, and almost certainly more likely than trading up to 2 or 4 (which is my wet dream scenario....but would probably cost a ton). Assuming Devine is pretty up front, I can definitely see them moving up say 4 spots to secure Faksa, or jumping for a guy like Forsberg if he slips. And hell, I know they sound completely averse to Russians (and Regier's history shows it's more than just words), but if Grigorenko starts really sliding....chance at arguably the most talented player in the draft around pick 10? That'd have to be enticing even though it's a boom or bust pick.

At this point I'm not sure exactly what I expect anymore. The wild card to me is Pegula. Obviously he's involved, but will he force Regier's hand at some point? Last year he basically told Regier to go out and get Ehrhoff, and Regier did it. Does Pegula do it again, this time with a star prospect or a more established player (obvious example is take a run at Staal)? I have no specific expectation, but I'd be surprised at this point if draft weekend passes and we simply use all of our selections without any other roster moves.

That's a reasonable scenario. Esp. if Galchenyuk or Forsberg fall to 6 or 7.

I don't imagine #8 is a trading partner as it is Carolina.

The Islanders seem to love moving back and loading up with picks. They may be a target, even AFTER they've already moved back 3 or 4 slots.

Fair enough. I think trading up to 7 or 8 is certainly reasonable, and almost certainly more likely than trading up to 2 or 4 (which is my wet dream scenario....but would probably cost a ton). Assuming Devine is pretty up front, I can definitely see them moving up say 4 spots to secure Faksa, or jumping for a guy like Forsberg if he slips. And hell, I know they sound completely averse to Russians (and Regier's history shows it's more than just words), but if Grigorenko starts really sliding....chance at arguably the most talented player in the draft around pick 10? That'd have to be enticing even though it's a boom or bust pick.

At this point I'm not sure exactly what I expect anymore. The wild card to me is Pegula. Obviously he's involved, but will he force Regier's hand at some point? Last year he basically told Regier to go out and get Ehrhoff, and Regier did it. Does Pegula do it again, this time with a star prospect or a more established player (obvious example is take a run at Staal)? I have no specific expectation, but I'd be surprised at this point if draft weekend passes and we simply use all of our selections without any other roster moves.

I would be leary of the Sabres not moving those picks to trade up or acquire another player. .Any player taken with those picks is at least two to three years away from playing in the NHL and these four picks represent a great chance for the Sabres to improve this upcoming season.

I would be leary of the Sabres not moving those picks to trade up or acquire another player. .Any player taken with those picks is at least two to three years away from playing in the NHL and these four picks represent a great chance for the Sabres to improve this upcoming season.

I agree. If the Sabres have somebody in their sights I'd prefer for them to be aggressive and go after the guy they covet rather than just sitting back and picking the best of what's left. From what I've read I like Galchenyuk and Faksa and would be ecstatic to see them move up to grab one of them.

Nobody, if they want to meet the 3 year goal tpegs set. Take the 2 firsts and 2nds to go after NHL ready players. And next year use the draft picks for prospects. Get a #1 center, top winger and top 4 Dman. Also use forwards and dmen as trade bait(Roy,gerbe,Adam,sekera,&leo) Something like Roy, a 1st and 2nd should get you a top center. Sekera and a 1st or 2nd can get that winger and also gerbe, Leo and a 1st or 2nd can grab you a top 3 Dman.

Nobody, if they want to meet the 3 year goal tpegs set. Take the 2 firsts and 2nds to go after NHL ready players. And next year use the draft picks for prospects. Get a #1 center, top winger and top 4 Dman. Also use forwards and dmen as trade bait(Roy,gerbe,Adam,sekera,&leo) Something like Roy, a 1st and 2nd should get you a top center. Sekera and a 1st or 2nd can get that winger and also gerbe, Leo and a 1st or 2nd can grab you a top 3 Dman.

Darcy: "Ah yes! That's what I was missing! Roy and the first, AND a second! That'll get me (insert whichever star center makes you drool the most)"

No one wants Roy for anything worth trading for. Maybe if the pick was higher than 12...but it isn't.

Archived