Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

Anyone notice the open admission by Devine that the Sabres did not take "the best player available" when they traded up for Girgensons?

He said they had Teravainen ranked higher, but thought with skill already picked, they went for a bull centre instead.

Be interesting to see how Teravainen develops versus Girgs.

(for the record, I completely support their decision)

I also noticed that. I wonder how frequent that practice is. I know we've debated on this site the merits of BPA vs drafting for need.

So Kevin Devine gave away the Sabres-Wisconsin connection on WGR today: Al McAdam (Sabres chief scout) is good friends with Mike Eaves. Sabres realize Wisconsin has been putting out some real good defensemen lately.

I will give the Sabres staff credit for giving credit to the scouts and people involved in guiding them towards selections. I don't know if it the smartest thing to admit, but nice to throw a bone ahead of time in case a guy hits.

So Kevin Devine gave away the Sabres-Wisconsin connection on WGR today: Al McAdam (Sabres chief scout) is good friends with Mike Eaves. Sabres realize Wisconsin has been putting out some real good defensemen lately.

Two players and there's suddenly this big connection? They've also had multiple Vermont, North Dakota, and Minnesota players recently too. What's the connection there?

I will give the Sabres staff credit for giving credit to the scouts and people involved in guiding them towards selections. I don't know if it the smartest thing to admit, but nice to throw a bone ahead of time in case a guy hits.

So a scout and a coach, both with NHL experience know each other. What exactly are they admitting to? On a related note, Buddy Nix has a preference for players from the SEC.

So a scout and a coach, both with NHL experience know each other. What exactly are they admitting to? On a related note, Buddy Nix has a preference for players from the SEC.

No...they have been breaking down the process of each of their picks.....the Sweedish goalie was spotted by an ex Sweed GM and pointed out to the staff.

The point being, instead of just talking about the player, they give credit to the guys who put the pick in motion....so if a guy hits, it's a feather in the scout's cap for future reference and promotion. It would be easy to sit back and have everyone assume it's all 1 or 2 guys picking the players.

I appreciate it, and I'm sure the scouts do.

No...they have been breaking down the process of each of their picks.....the Sweedish goalie was spotted by an ex Sweed GM and pointed out to the staff.

The point being, instead of just talking about the player, they give credit to the guys who put the pick in motion....so if a guy hits, it's a feather in the scout's cap for future reference and promotion. It would be easy to sit back and have everyone assume it's all 1 or 2 guys picking the players.

I appreciate it, and I'm sure the scouts do.

Darcy, as most GM's, has always readily admitted to not even seeing most of the guys the team picks. They do seem to be going out of their way to talk up the new scouts. Would seem a little self serving if I saw it from your usual point of view.

Two players and there's suddenly this big connection? They've also had multiple Vermont, North Dakota, and Minnesota players recently too. What's the connection there?

I'm sorry, you must have the missed the part where I didn't blow anything out of proportion. If figured COwhatever and WhatshisnutsBass would have enjoyed knowing that the Wisconsin coach is friends with a Sabres scout, as mentioned by Kevin Devine on GR.

Anything else you take from that I leave to your prescriptions to fix.

I'm sorry, you must have the missed the part where I didn't blow anything out of proportion. If figured COwhatever and WhatshisnutsBass would have enjoyed knowing that the Wisconsin coach is friends with a Sabres scout, as mentioned by Kevin Devine on GR.

That is pretty funny.

I think you'll find that with a decent sized scouting staff, they'll know someone just about everywhere.

If they start signing former Charlotte Checkers, then we'll know something is really up, because Al MacAdam is Don MacAdam's brother, and Don coached the Checkers from 1999-2004. :blink:

In all honesty, I did find it interesting that he's buds with Eaves. Thanks for pointing that out.

Archived