Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

I don't understand that bolded part, is it a Tyler Ennis joke because I didn't make a big deal of him going to center

I wasn't taking a shot. You're high on Ennis so I figured I'd mention him. Now take that draft and see if they can nail the same exact scenario, except landing another forward with real potential (I still hold out hope for Adam). If they can do that here, we'll all be very happy.

And I'm not convinced they use all four picks, but if they do, this really a spot that can make the franchise. That needs to be done all over the ice, not just up front.

This conversation seems to be spiraling down the path towards "draft a center at all costs" which is a mistake. If the right guy is there, fine, take him. But don't draft someone simply because he's a center. They're going to take the best available at each pick, yes, even if it is a defenseman. There will be plenty of opportunities throughout this draft and in free agency/trades to bolster the center ranks.

And it does look like you seem to be of similar thinking here. So I'm not singling you out, just wanted to reply to the ongoing conversation as a whole.

I'm definitely of the opinion the team should take the most talented player available at any given spot, regardless of position. My ideal scenario, however, is trading up to get the best talent possible and fill a position of need at the same time.

If both Faksa and Gaunce are available whenever the Sabres pick, of course they need to pick Faksa. I just don't think the difference between the two is enough to trade up for. I am assuming that the trading up in the draft will mean we package both our picks in the first round to move up though. If we can move up for cheaper I am all for it. The way I see it though, Faksa has limited scoring upside, Gaunce has limited scoring upside, Faksa is a better prospect, but not by enough for me to say it's worth to move up for him.

Then again, if the work ethic issue with Grigorenko is overblown which it might very well be, the Sabres have a chance to basically pick #1 level talent if they go after him. I wouldn't, but I can see why someone would.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out when all is said and done!

That's just it, we really have no idea what it will actually take to trade up. How many times are the Islanders going to keep getting young and drafting prospects? I'm inclined to believe they'd be more interested in a roster player who can help them in addition to our top pick, rather than both 1sts. A quick glance at their prospect pool tells me they need defensemen while they are pretty well stocked at forward. Given that the draft is deep in defensemen and the Sabres are deep in defensemen, it seems like a good trading partner. They can move back and still get a very good defensive prospect, while also picking up a defensemen to help immediately.

I'm definitely of the opinion the team should take the most talented player available at any given spot, regardless of position. My ideal scenario, however, is trading up to get the best talent possible and fill a position of need at the same time.

That's just it, we really have no idea what it will actually take to trade up. How many times are the Islanders going to keep getting young and drafting prospects? I'm inclined to believe they'd be more interested in a roster player who can help them in addition to our top pick, rather than both 1sts. A quick glance at their prospect pool tells me they need defensemen while they are pretty well stocked at forward. Given that the draft is deep in defensemen and the Sabres are deep in defensemen, it seems like a good trading partner. They can move back and still get a very good defensive prospect, while also picking up a defensemen to help immediately.

Edmonton need defense, not forwards so we have an advantage there. Islanders however have no money so I'm not sure what they can do, unless we give up both our 1st rounders plus a couple of mid level defensive prospects.

This conversation seems to be spiraling down the path towards "draft a center at all costs" which is a mistake. If the right guy is there, fine, take him. But don't draft someone simply because he's a center. They're going to take the best available at each pick, yes, even if it is a defenseman. There will be plenty of opportunities throughout this draft and in free agency/trades to bolster the center ranks.

And it does look like you seem to be of similar thinking here. So I'm not singling you out, just wanted to reply to the ongoing conversation as a whole.

Reaching for a center when there are much better players on the board may be a mistake but if the values are close then need should tip the scales. We are seriously devoid of center depth and talent and something needs to be done about it. Ideally, Darcy needs to figure out which center he likes best (Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Faksa, etc.) and then try to figure out where we need to trade up with in order to draft them and what it will take to entice the trading partner to pull the trigger. If that's packaging the #12 with a 2nd round pick so be it. If we need to part ways with an NHL calibre defenseman such as Leopold or Sekera, that's fine. If we need to part with a prospect and picks then so be it. I prefer not trade both of our first round picks but if that's what (for example) the Islanders demand to move up to get Galchenyuk then I'd be ok with it, provided that's the guy Darcy has pegged as the best center prospect.

I can't really see the Islanders doing anything until they get that arena situation worked out. As long as they don't know where they'll be playing tomorrow, they'll keep building for the future.

I can't really see the Islanders doing anything until they get that arena situation worked out. As long as they don't know where they'll be playing tomorrow, they'll keep building for the future.

See I was thinking the opposite: they may want to win now to actually spur fan interest and increase their chances at a new arena. Don't forget, they traded for Ehrhoff's rights last year before the Sabres did.

See I was thinking the opposite: they may want to win now to actually spur fan interest and increase their chances at a new arena. Don't forget, they traded for Ehrhoff's rights last year before the Sabres did.

They traded for his rights because they wanted to pay him big money so they could stay above the cap floor. Ehrhoff just didn't want to go there. (speculation).

I don't think fan interest plays much of a role in the whole thing though. That's completely in the politicians hands at this point. And with them being the red headed step child in that portion of the state, the politicians aren't going to bend to sudden fan support.

They traded for his rights because they wanted to pay him big money so they could stay above the cap floor. Ehrhoff just didn't want to go there. (speculation).

Good point on the cap floor, and I definitely agree Ehrhoff wanted nothing to do with the team.

I don't think fan interest plays much of a role in the whole thing though. That's completely in the politicians hands at this point. And with them being the red headed step child in that portion of the state, the politicians aren't going to bend to sudden fan support.

Didn't think about the red-headed stepchild thing. I was simply viewing it as politicians want to be re-elected, and if keeping a team in town will contribute to re-election, then they'll do what it takes to keep them. But if the Islanders fan base isn't consequential, then it won't matter what the team does even if they start selling more tickets.

Name the best defenseman in the entire NHL...

now name the top 10 forwards...

now if you had the top defender could you trade them for any one of those forwards? if you had one of the top forwards could you trade for that defensemen?

On a side note why do I have 1 warning point? I thought my posts the last couple days were quite civil?

now if you had the top defender could you trade them for any one of those forwards? if you had one of the top forwards could you trade for that defensemen?

On a side note why do I have 1 warning point? I thought my posts the last couple days were quite civil?

Did you end a sentence with "haha" or drrrraaaaggggg ooouuuuutttt your woooooords? Duuuuuuude?

Personally I suspect if anyone has a go at no.1 overall it'll be someone like Detroit, an aging powerhouse who aren't afraid of making the big moves. As much as I'm intrigued by so called 'new Darcy' I don't think his got it in him. Plus his not a centre so I think we would be better focusing our efforts elsewhere, be it trade or something.

I'm thinking he admitted to being a previously banned poster.

Whats with the dislike for LGR? What did I miss lol?

Personally I suspect if anyone has a go at no.1 overall it'll be someone like Detroit, an aging powerhouse who aren't afraid of making the big moves. As much as I'm intrigued by so called 'new Darcy' I don't think his got it in him. Plus his not a centre so I think we would be better focusing our efforts elsewhere, be it trade or something.

I'd expect them to be more of a player in free agency this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them land both Parise and Suter.

Whats with the dislike for LGR? What did I miss lol?

Actually both posts were a jab at our recently departed 12 year old who really wanted Lindy Ruff fired.

That's from last November for your profanity drenched tirade.

I'd expect them to be more of a player in free agency this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them land both Parise and Suter.

Actually both posts were a jab at our recently departed 12 year old who really wanted Lindy Ruff fired.

Ah lol sorry, stupid moment.

I really doubt with our salary cap that we'd even go for Parise or especially Suter, we're stacked on D. I do expect them to pick up players, but maybe depth forwards. Anyone high value I expect Darcy to trade for, I'm sure the 'Leino experiment' has taught him well, plus the FA market for top end centres is thin AND that would depend on us getting rid of Roy as well.

Did you end a sentence with "haha" or drrrraaaaggggg ooouuuuutttt your woooooords? Duuuuuuude?

I'm thinking he admitted to being a previously banned poster.

I'm lost?

That's from last November for your profanity drenched tirade.

ahh, in my defense last november was not good but thanks for clarifying.

Ah lol sorry, stupid moment.

I really doubt with our salary cap that we'd even go for Parise or especially Suter, we're stacked on D. I do expect them to pick up players, but maybe depth forwards. Anyone high value I expect Darcy to trade for, I'm sure the 'Leino experiment' has taught him well, plus the FA market for top end centres is thin AND that would depend on us getting rid of Roy as well.

Another stupid moment? ;)

Just kidding. I was talking about Detroit for Parise and Suter, not Buffalo.

I'm lost?

You must have been one of the smart ones who had FIRE LINDY RUFF blocked.

Another stupid moment? ;)

Just kidding. I was talking about Detroit for Parise and Suter, not Buffalo.

You must have been one of the smart ones who had FIRE LINDY RUFF blocked.

yea why? guy was obnoxious.

Getting a player with scoring talent is a waste in Buffalo since Ruff will just ruin them. Until Ruff learns how to treat and groom players, the Sabres will never go anywhere beyond the first round of the playoffs. The Sabres could have the best talent in the league but need better coaching.

Some new and interesting idea about the team and the direction it is headed and the moves it should make. I'm taking into consideration certain assumptions that are safe to make given the information coming from the team and a rough assessment of the current state of the the game of hockey, the NHL, and it's member teams. I'm not completely relying on statistics, but I'm also not basing my entire argument on anecdotal evidence of something i saw, or think i saw, one time while watching the game and enjoying a brew. My contention is further advanced by making an interesting observation about the way the game is actually played on the ice. The jewel of my post is that I recognize a flaw in the current make-up of the team and offer several possible options for the board to discuss, without simply complaining about something and offering no potential real solution. I may or may not be including one of the universal internet message board disclaimers IMO or IMHO.

Getting a player with scoring talent is a waste in Buffalo since Ruff will just ruin them. Until Ruff learns how to treat and groom players, the Sabres will never go anywhere beyond the first round of the playoffs. The Sabres could have the best talent in the league but need better coaching.

I presume that the fact many players have had their best years here is just chance? What you said is just ignorant conjecture. There is no way we can know that Ruff ruins players potentials as there is no 'control' group.

Some new and interesting idea about the team and the direction it is headed and the moves it should make. I'm taking into consideration certain assumptions that are safe to make given the information coming from the team and a rough assessment of the current state of the the game of hockey, the NHL, and it's member teams. I'm not completely relying on statistics, but I'm also not basing my entire argument on anecdotal evidence of something i saw, or think i saw, one time while watching the game and enjoying a brew. My contention is further advanced by making an interesting observation about the way the game is actually played on the ice. The jewel of my post is that I recognize a flaw in the current make-up of the team and offer several possible options for the board to discuss, without simply complaining about something and offering no potential real solution. I may or may not be including one of the universal internet message board disclaimers IMO or IMHO.

Plug and Chug, looks like you got quite the formula ther LPF...

IMHO

Archived