Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

The value might be there but putting myself in Columbus' shoes I just couldn't see trading a player who has the upside of the #2 pick for a bunch of nice players, but no one who has nearly the same level of potential. I guess it would depend on their confidence in this particular draft class and their opinion on the level of talent that will be there at #12.

The value might be there but putting myself in Columbus' shoes I just couldn't see trading a player who has the upside of the #2 pick for a bunch of nice players, but no one who has nearly the same level of potential. I guess it would depend on their confidence in this particular draft class and their opinion on the level of talent that will be there at #12.

Columbus needs a young star for marketing purposes more than it needs four solid prospects for hockey purposes, IMO.

I'd love to see these picks traded for a player.

Hockey's future's Sabres draft preview is up: http://www.hockeysfu...-draft-preview/

Please, no.

Not on you, Lanny, but please, no.

There is no hole at power forward because of Kassian's departure. Foligno has it; the team doesn't need Tom Wilson that badly. Faska is enticing, but I'd much, much rather see the picks go for a player.

And I realize it's only a one-round mock, but the Sabres do need to develop another goalie (besides Enroth), unless Knapp is the answer. (Frankly, I'd rather see Knapp beating up Lucic regularly.) Hope that goalie gets taken in the third-seventh.

Anyone wanting to remake the core, there's an opportunity here:

Vanek, Roy, #12 and Sekera, McNabb or Pysyk

for

Nash and #2 (and take Galchenyuk)

Buffalo gets an identity shift and the big young centre they covet.

CBus dumps Nash for a comparable player, adds a cheap two-way centre that can play the first line and one (or probably two) good young dmen.

Depends on how much value teams put on Galchenyuk but I think it's a conversation starter.

Flame away

Wow...................

Either you're giving Nash way too much credit, or you're not giving Roy/Vanek enough.

Why are people so insistent on thinking that Roy is so worthless on the market? With his numbers and his cap hit Roy is sure to get some interest.

There is no hole at power forward because of Kassian's departure. Foligno has it; the team doesn't need Tom Wilson that badly. Faska is enticing, but I'd much, much rather see the picks go for a player.

And I realize it's only a one-round mock, but the Sabres do need to develop another goalie (besides Enroth), unless Knapp is the answer. (Frankly, I'd rather see Knapp beating up Lucic regularly.) Hope that goalie gets taken in the third-seventh.

I feel as though they could find someone with Wilson's particular set of skills much later in the draft, where those guys are typically drafted. Sure he probably won't be as sure of a thing as Wilson but with a first round pick I'd prefer someone who has the potential to play on a top 6 line.

I feel as though they could find someone with Wilson's particular set of skills much later in the draft, where those guys are typically drafted. Sure he probably won't be as sure of a thing as Wilson but with a first round pick I'd prefer someone who has the potential to play on a top 6 line.

This is the first I have heard of Wilson.

Does anyone project him to be the next Lucic?

If not I would rather not spend a high draft pick on him.

EDIT: After reading some of the write-ups on the players in the draft I have come to the conclusion that they are all written by the player agents.

This is the first I have heard of Wilson.

Does anyone project him to be the next Lucic?

If not I would rather not spend a high draft pick on him.

McKenzie had him rated #20 in February, here's his write up from that:

"Turned heads at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 tournament last summer with his energetic, physical play, but then struggled to produce offensively at the start of the OHL season. Strengths: One of the more rugged prospects in the draft, loves to throw his weight around, and not afraid to drop the gloves. Strong, decent straight ahead skater, competitive, works hard at both ends of the ice. Weaknesses: Won't ever put up offensive numbers, has limited offensive skills, average hands, poor puck skills, below average agility. NHL upside: Has the size and toughness along with straight ahead speed to be a regular lower-line NHL player with a physical presence. " http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=58416

McKenzie had him rated #20 in February, here's his write up from that:

"Turned heads at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 tournament last summer with his energetic, physical play, but then struggled to produce offensively at the start of the OHL season. Strengths: One of the more rugged prospects in the draft, loves to throw his weight around, and not afraid to drop the gloves. Strong, decent straight ahead skater, competitive, works hard at both ends of the ice. Weaknesses: Won't ever put up offensive numbers, has limited offensive skills, average hands, poor puck skills, below average agility. NHL upside: Has the size and toughness along with straight ahead speed to be a regular lower-line NHL player with a physical presence. " http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=58416

Definately not the next Lucic ... maybe the next Kassian ... :ph34r: .

As per my edit to the post you quoted ... is McKenzie his agent ... :P ?

Wow...................

Either you're giving Nash way too much credit, or you're not giving Roy/Vanek enough.

Why are people so insistent on thinking that Roy is so worthless on the market? With his numbers and his cap hit Roy is sure to get some interest.

Actually, it's about Galchenyuk.

I agree with your Roy take. Just because many here are sick of him doesn't mean he has no value.

70-point centres who can play both ends aren't easy to come by, especially at a $4 million cap hit.

And Nash and Vanek have been pretty much the same player the past four or five years. Most would give the edge to Nash but it's close.

That part of the deal is mostly about shaking up the core of both teams. Columbus gets better in the process, Sabres get cap space.

Basically the trade only works if the Sabres think Galchenyuk is a legit first-line centre and the Jackets do not.

If Columbus thinks they can get a Dman at 12 who is close to Galchenyuk in potential, they make the trade.

If they think Galchenyuk (or their highest-ranked guy at two) has franchise potential they don't.

I honestly don't think there is going to be one player that the Sabres draft that will see the ice within 2 years. I would be shocked if they traded up into the top 5 so what I want to know is who they are targeting for a trade. Parise is not going to happen so what would it take to get Jordan Staal or someone of the like. Is Staal really even that good? Seems to be that it would turn out to be a wash if we got rid of Roy and got Staal. What are some trade options (that don't involve a #1 Center as it ain't happenin'). Size on the top line is what they are going to need so who can clear some space for Vanek as well as put in some goals to boot...

Use the first round pick from Nashville, one of the second round picks, and a player (roy or sekara) to obtain Jordan Stall or Paul Stasny. Use the other second round pick , a rosterd player, and make a deal to move up to select Teuvo Teravainen. Sit back and watch him and Armia for the next 5-7 years!!

Use the first round pick from Nashville, one of the second round picks, and a player (roy or sekara) to obtain Jordan Stall or Paul Stasny. Use the other second round pick , a rosterd player, and make a deal to move up to select Teuvo Teravainen. Sit back and watch him and Armia for the next 5-7 years!!

Okay Bucky.

Here is what I want to see, and it may surprise you.....

I want to take the best player available at the time. If Darcy actually does one thing better than the average GM, it is finding skilled defensemen in the draft. From what we have been told, there are a decent amount of them in the draft. Rather than reach on a center which we obviously have failed to develop over the past decade.....do what you do well and add more to the cupboard. At those picks...defense is safer anyway.

I assume Darcy will be gone in the next few years, so you might as well squeeze what is left of the lemon and have him find a few more solid d-men. Then you have numbers to use in deals when the next guy comes in to do a rebuild. If you are good at baking desserts but not the main course.....might as well bake tons of desserts then barter them to the deli next door to get some meat.

I wouldn't mind the Sabres trading 2 of their first 4 picks for proven player(s), but I'd like to see them utilize at least 2 draft picks to build a future. The organization has been pretty decent at drafting, so I don't see why we should trade that away.

If Regier uses all 4 picks to acquire players I'll be furious. To me, that would be worse than simply standing pat and using all 4. The farm system is not very well populated with talent (it's not awful or anything, but middle of the pack at best overall). Miller, Pominville and Vanek are all UFAs in 2 years...I really have no interest in needing to replace all of them at the same time, and I don't want to feel like I HAVE to resign them because the farm has no replacements. I'd rather be the Braves of the 90s (only 1 World Series, but consistently in the mix) than the Marlins (two World Series separated by years of suck and rebuilding). I know not everybody would agree, but that's my position on it.

I want to take the best player available at the time. If Darcy actually does one thing better than the average GM, it is finding skilled defensemen in the draft. From what we have been told, there are a decent amount of them in the draft. Rather than reach on a center which we obviously have failed to develop over the past decade.....do what you do well and add more to the cupboard. At those picks...defense is safer anyway.

I assume Darcy will be gone in the next few years, so you might as well squeeze what is left of the lemon and have him find a few more solid d-men. Then you have numbers to use in deals when the next guy comes in to do a rebuild. If you are good at baking desserts but not the main course.....might as well bake tons of desserts then barter them to the deli next door to get some meat.

Personally I think it should always be best player, especially drafting in the middle of the first where you likely won't see the player for a couple of years. Who knows what team needs will be in a couple seasons? I just view the draft as another way to acquire assets...which can then be flipped for more useful assets if necessary. Looking at it like that, you should always want better assets than the other guy since it makes your bargaining position stronger. If Faksa is gone, I'd much rather have Maata or Ceci than Gaunce. I'll take a guy with #2 defenseman ceiling and top- four likelihood over a guy with #2 center ceiling and #3 likelihood any day.

If Regier uses all 4 picks to acquire players I'll be furious. To me, that would be worse than simply standing pat and using all 4. The farm system is not very well populated with talent (it's not awful or anything, but middle of the pack at best overall). Miller, Pominville and Vanek are all UFAs in 2 years...I really have no interest in needing to replace all of them at the same time, and I don't want to feel like I HAVE to resign them because the farm has no replacements. I'd rather be the Braves of the 90s (only 1 World Series, but consistently in the mix) than the Marlins (two World Series separated by years of suck and rebuilding). I know not everybody would agree, but that's my position on it.

<snip.>

I wholeheartedly agree with this mindset. I would rather be constantly relevant than pouring it all into 1 year's team and not winning it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this mindset. I would rather be constantly relevant than pouring it all into 1 year's team and not winning it.

I'll take one cup and early summers for the next 10 years.

I'll take winning the last game in June and losing the next 82. 164. 246. Whatever. Just give me the god damned parade. I won't be looking at the scoreboard the next season anyway, I'll be staring at the banner all night, with tears in my eyes.

I'll take one cup and early summers for the next 10 years.

I'll take winning the last game in June and losing the next 82. 164. 246. Whatever. Just give me the god damned parade. I won't be looking at the scoreboard the next season anyway, I'll be staring at the banner all night, with tears in my eyes.

by all means, I would love to win it all. No if and or buts. I would rather however, continuously have a chance of winning it, rather than just pouring everything into this year. That didn't really work out for the Eagle's and their "dream team." I like the "build for a future" mindset that makes a team relevant for years to come, where any given season, your team is in talks of Stanley Cup contenders.

Using all 4 picks doesn't preclude grabbing players or making trades by other means.. I'd be fine with 4 picks.

I want him to draft 4 guys.

I think that's my point.....he is good at finding "useful" hockey players in the draft. It may be his biggest strength. I don't trust him to build a championship team in the present....so might as well stock up for the future. Then the new GM who comes in here over the next few years will have some young pieces to use when trying to reshape the philosophy.

If he is going to trade 4 picks to Winnipeg for the rights to Kane and Wheeler...then by all means. But I just can't trust him to do the right thing in a trade. I'm am making a leap that Darcy is gone within a year or 2, but that's how I hope it goes down.

I can get on board with this. I definelty want best player available and I'm ok with him using all four picks. I think with a salary cap era the value in good young players is a key ingrediant to winning. You need guys making under 3 mil making strong contributions to your team. Having said that, if there is a player that Darcy really covets near the top of the draft, I hope he uses some of our other picks to move up and get his man.

Using all 4 picks doesn't preclude grabbing players or making trades by other means.. I'd be fine with 4 picks.

Indeed. What I meant was I don't want him to trade all 4 away so we don't draft until the third round. If he uses all 4 picks to stock the system and then uses our current roster to make trades and retool I'm OK with that.

Archived