Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

If Darcy can look into his crystal ball and predict who finishes last overall in 2013 get that pick. Trade what you have to. Nathan MacKinnon will most likely go 1st in that one and some have said he's the best 16 year old they've seen. Go get him.

If Darcy can look into his crystal ball and predict who finishes last overall in 2013 get that pick. Trade what you have to. Nathan MacKinnon will most likely go 1st in that one and some have said he's the best 16 year old they've seen. Go get him.

Wow! I just looked him up, All Halifax had to trade to get him was their MVP, Carl Gelinas, A big (6'3" 185lb) center, Francis Turbide, and 3 First Round Draft Picks!

Wow! I just looked him up, All Halifax had to trade to get him was their MVP, Carl Gelinas, A big (6'3" 185lb) center, Francis Turbide, and 3 First Round Draft Picks!

Lurking a bit these days ...

Being in Halifax I've seen this kid play many times.

He is, IMO, the next "one" ... Crosby and potentially more. His game is complete and he is just a kid ... turns 17 on September 1st. Big (5' 11" ... 180 lbs) and plays bigger than that ... probably not fully grown yet either. And plays center.

DR should do whatever it takes to land him.

Lurking a bit these days ...

Being in Halifax I've seen this kid play many times.

He is, IMO, the next "one" ... Crosby and potentially more. His game is complete and he is just a kid ... turns 17 on September 1st. Big (5' 11" ... 180 lbs) and plays bigger than that ... probably not fully grown yet either. And plays center.

DR should do whatever it takes to land him.

Trade away Miller, Myers and Vanek and bottom out?

I watched the Memorial cup game between Shawinigan and Edmonton (Psysk's team). I liked Henrik Samuelsson. He is a big body winger ranked somewhere between 50 and 75 depending on whose ranking you like. Might be worth it in the second round. Very good value in the 3rd.

After watching all 4 of Edmonton's games I can confirm my first impression. He is ranked 75th amoung North American skaters by central scouting. He was, I think, Edmonton's leading scorer in the Memorial Cup. The commentators doing the games thought he would be drafted earlier than his current ranking indicates. I think the central scouting final rankings come out June 11. Be interesting to see if he moves up.

Haven't had A.D.D. or done this in awhile so here we go, lets have some fun.

Sabres trade Vanek for a first and stuff to the team they believe will finish last (regardless) this upcoming season. This frees up capspace for Parise and if all goes according to plan gets you McKinnon which is the real prize.

Roy gets traded for something or other and this allows the core shakeup you need and also lets you go sign a tougher true 3rd line center. In this case I am going with Stoll

Now what is the point of doing this? Well it gives you a couple of years to tweak and adjust before you have a team that is truly a contender. Stafford falls off after you draft McKinnon and Pommers will slot down into the 3rd line after Armia comes up. McKinnon, Armia and the new line combos take a year to gel and then in that 3rd year (2014-2015) you end up with this Roster:

Parise - Hodgson - McKinnon

Foligno - Ennis - Armia

Leino - Stoll - Pommers

Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta/Tropp

For defense you are already looking good but it would probably shake out like this:

Myers - McNabb

Ehrhoff - Pysyk/Leduc

Weber - Regehr

random 7th defensmen (Sultzer, someone we drafted, ect...)

Goaltending is the most interesting and unpredictable part of this plan. Miller could still be ok at age 35 but if not I think Enroth or maybe Lieuwen may fill in and be good. The catch is it is way to early to tell.

3 years from now you all go downtown for the Stanley cup parade. Armia and McKinnon have a year under their belts and Pommers, Parise, Ennis, and Stoll lead us to the promise land. McNabb has a few years in and Leduc/Pysyk is in their 2nd season. I fully expect this to be ripped to shreads so have it. Either way if this team was put on this ice I would be extremely excited and optimistic.

Can we just stop this McKinnon talk right now? This team is not going to finish near the bottom next year. And as for the trade route, knowing that he is coming up in 2013, why would any team that is likely to finish near the bottom trade their 1st round pick?

Can we just stop this McKinnon talk right now? This team is not going to finish near the bottom next year. And as for the trade route, knowing that he is coming up in 2013, why would any team that is likely to finish near the bottom trade their 1st round pick?

Ya, like thats ever been done before. Why in gods name would you trade a first round pick ?

Ya, like thats ever been done before. Why in gods name would you trade a first round pick ?

Outside of Toronto, I can't think of any recent crappy teams that decided to move their first round pick. Those are the teams trying to rebuild. That doesn't happen by moving your #1 pick. Now add into that the fact that the draft has THE elite prospect coming up. They're not going to move that first round pick. It's not just the Sabres who know this kid is a year away, everyone else does too.

Haven't had A.D.D. or done this in awhile so here we go, lets have some fun.

Sabres trade Vanek for a first and stuff to the team they believe will finish last (regardless) this upcoming season. This frees up capspace for Parise and if all goes according to plan gets you McKinnon which is the real prize.

Roy gets traded for something or other and this allows the core shakeup you need and also lets you go sign a tougher true 3rd line center. In this case I am going with Stoll

Roster:

Parise - Hodgson - McKinnon

Foligno - Ennis - Armia

Leino - Stoll - Pommers

Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta/Tropp

Point one ... I think you have to wait until you know who gets the first overall pick in that draft and then trade them whatever they want for that pick.

Point two ... why would you have MacKinnon, as sure a bet to be a number one centre as Crosby was, playing wing.

-----

A general question for anyone ...

Since MacKinnon will still be 17 come the 2013 draft are we sure he will be draft eligible? Back in the day I seem to remember a player had to be 18 years old in order to be drafted by an NHL team.

Trade away Miller, Myers and Vanek and bottom out?

d4rk,

Why the venum? And this is mild compared to some of the stuff I have read coming from your keyboard lately, which is not your style. You always presented your arguements in a well thought out and constructive manner.

I think my time away from the board was cut short.

-----

Carter,

Really, I do hope all is well with you.

-----

As posted above I think one needs to wait to see who has the number one pick in the draft MacKinnon comes out in and then trade whatever that team wants for that first overall pick.

Trading away everyone and hoping to tank is not likely to land you the first overall pick with the lottery and there are always teams that will be doing the same thing .. a crap shoot proposition at best.

Since MacKinnon will still be 17 come the 2013 draft are we sure he will be draft eligible? Back in the day I seem to remember a player had to be 18 years old in order to be drafted by an NHL team.

Anyone who turns 18 between January 1 and September 15th of the draft year is eligible. McKinnon turns 18 on September 1st, 2013, so he just barely qualifies for next year's draft.

Anyone who turns 18 between January 1 and September 15th of the draft year is eligible. McKinnon turns 18 on September 1st, 2013, so he just barely qualifies for next year's draft.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Not to nitpic, but it's MacKinnon ... around my parts a slip like that would get a guy beat up real good ... :P .

Has anyone considered the risk of drafting a Russian? Top young Russians can make more in the KHL than in the NHL under entry level contracts. Some might prefer to play in their homeland. There are some good Russian forwards, and one goaltender who might slip down because of this. When do they slip down enough to become good risks?

Bonus question: What top prospect has a Russian surname but was born in the US?

Archived