Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

The more I look at it, the more I think the Sabres have targeted Radek Faska with the first pick. He makes the most sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they even moved up a few places to grab him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/radek-faksa-the-next-ones-nhl-2012-draft-prospect-profile-ascending-up-the-ranks/

I actually think this year they keep the picks.

With a lockout looming it doesn't make sense to trade for a veteran unless that player is tied up for years.

Here's my best guess at the Sabres first 4 picks.

1 – 12 Radek Faska C/W 2 way stud.

1 – 21 Matt Finn D WHL D man.

2-42 Henrik Sameulson C/W Good genes/Good package of skills

2- 44 Matia Marcantuoni C/W Nice spot for a huge risk/reward type player.

This would be an excellent draft IMO.

After the playoff he had, I have no problem taking him with the 12th pick.

I am not among those who will have meltdown if they don't draft a big centre in the first round.

You draft to collect assets and trade to fill holes.

There are so many good defenceman available this year and teams will likely be reaching for forwards.

The best players available at our picks will likely be defencemen — Maata, Reinhart, Pouliot, Trouba, Koekkoek, Lindholm, Ceci.

If we are patient and get two of those guys with our two first rounders, the draft will be a success.

Sure, I'd like Faksa at 12 and Gaunce or Girgensons at 21, but I don't want to be reaching for them.

After the playoff he had, I have no problem taking him with the 12th pick.

I am not among those who will have meltdown if they don't draft a big centre in the first round.

You draft to collect assets and trade to fill holes.

There are so many good defenceman available this year and teams will likely be reaching for forwards.

The best players available at our picks will likely be defencemen — Maata, Reinhart, Pouliot, Trouba, Koekkoek, Lindholm, Ceci.

If we are patient and get two of those guys with our two first rounders, the draft will be a success.

Sure, I'd like Faksa at 12 and Gaunce or Girgensons at 21, but I don't want to be reaching for them.

Good post. I don't want them reaching either. But I am rooting for a Faksa or Gaunce to "fall" to them.

Well of course. They only have two cards in their deck to deal, Nash or #2 overall. Umberger is overpriced (and has a NMC), and Jack Johnson is the only notable Dman without a NMC. Besides, if I had a draft history as poor as Columbus, I wouldn't trust myself with the 2nd overall either.

Anyone wanting to remake the core, there's an opportunity here:

Vanek, Roy, #12 and Sekera, McNabb or Pysyk

for

Nash and #2 (and take Galchenyuk)

Buffalo gets an identity shift and the big young centre they covet.

CBus dumps Nash for a comparable player, adds a cheap two-way centre that can play the first line and one (or probably two) good young dmen.

Depends on how much value teams put on Galchenyuk but I think it's a conversation starter.

Flame away

for

CBus dumps Nash for a comparable player, adds a cheap two-way centre that can play the first line and one (or probably two) good young dmen.

Depends on how much value teams put on Galchenyuk but I think it's a conversation starter.

Flame away

Howson doesn't have the greatest reputation right now, but he can't be that stupid.

for

Flame away

Take Nash & Vanek out of the scenario. I doubt the Sabres would move Vanek and Nash has the final say and I don't see him willing to come to Buffalo. It would be a lateral move for him, he'll want to go to a contender.

The Sabres need to do something to energize the fan base after another disappointing season. A move to the #2 slot would do just that. Having two first round picks will go a long way in getting something done. If I'm the Sabres, Weber and McNabb are off the table, the Sabres can ill afford to give up any size and toughness, they have so little to begin with. I doubt Columbus has interest in Roy considering he is coming up on a big payday next season off-season. That really limits what the Sabres can do, The Sabres are not loaded with assets.

IMO, a fair offer for the #2 overall pick is:

The 2 first round picks in this years draft. This is the meat of the Sabres offer. The rest are side-dishes.

A prospects not named Weber, McNabb or Foligno.

Luke Adam - a good young player that plays a position of need. 22, cheap and can play right away is a perfect combo for a team like the Blue Jackets.

Jordan Leopold - With only 1 year at $3 mil he is a player that can help the Blue Jackets now without be saddled with a long term commitment.

The Jackets turn one pick into multiple picks with a prospect and two step in and play now players.

The Sabres jump up 10 spots in the draft and create some buzz without giving up any parts they were relying on for this season.

Archived