Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

If the Sabres trade up for Faksa than sweet. However if they do not, than their obvious target should be Gaunce. Kid works hard, plays center, puts up points (68), and is a big guy at 6'2" 212lbs. His presence 2years from now would be well worth the wait considering Myers, Ennis, Hodgson, and some of our other young players will be hitting the start of their prime years give or a take. Either way, I would consider this draft very important for this organization and I will be dissappointed if we are not able to draft either player (Faksa/Gaunce).

Any chance Nix and Gailey could run this year's draft for the Sabres?

...sadly no

So for our second 1st rounder:

Tanner Pearson

http://thehockeywriters.com/tanner-pearson-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-third-times-a-charm/

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=10517

He has been passed over in the past 2 drafts. Did that stop him? No, it motivated him. Considered by many to be a extremely smart player who reads the ice far better than most, he also has size, is a good 2 way player and is "noticable on ever shift" according to 1 scout. Dropping 91pts in 60 games this 19yr old is not your typical undersized forward who takes time to adjust to the physicality. Instead at 6' 198lbs he played the entire past season as the biggest member of his line.

IMHO: You take a chance on this guy because I am pretty sure he is not available when you come up to draft again in the 2nd rnd. He is smart which I find intriguing because sometimes players take an extra year to examine their game and figure it all out. He is big enough and thats also important. It seems he would be well worth the chance and we could use a lw with size in the minors who projects to be a top 6. All and all considering we should draft around 24-26th with that 2nd pick i think this would be a great pickup.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the Sabres will pick Griffen Reinhart, he is a team mate of Pysyk and at 6'4' 200lbs he is big. He is apparently a solid two way guy, not a player who just throws big checks or one who just scores (so not Dion Phaneuf or Mike Green). In a few years, if our D core was comprised of Myers, McNabb, Pysyk, Erhoff, Reinhart and someone, that would be a pretty awesome line up with an average height of 6'4'

I wonder if the Sabres will pick Griffen Reinhart, he is a team mate of Pysyk and at 6'4' 200lbs he is big. He is apparently a solid two way guy, not a player who just throws big checks or one who just scores (so not Dion Phaneuf or Mike Green). In a few years, if our D core was comprised of Myers, McNabb, Pysyk, Erhoff, Reinhart and someone, that would be a pretty awesome line up with an average height of 6'4'

Joe Finley.

I don't get a chance to watch much hockey outside of the NHL whatsoever, but I'm definitely intrigued by the options we have in this draft with two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders. Whether we stand pat and make our picks or package picks and prospects to move up or else use our picks to trade for another teams existing player there are definitely a ton of options.

One guy I've seen on a couple of different mock drafts they have going to us with the Nashville pick is RW Tom Wilson from the Plymouth Whalers. Not what you'd call a playmaker by any stretch, but at 6'4" and 200 lbs he seems to have the mean streak and toughness that's lacking on this team. To anyone who has a chance to watch junior hockey in person or on tv what do you guys think about him? Could he add some much needed grit to this team or would he be another waste like Jason Peters?

Personally, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on the guy if we manage to get a solid center prospect like Faksa, Galchenyuk, or Girgensons at #12.

I don't get a chance to watch much hockey outside of the NHL whatsoever, but I'm definitely intrigued by the options we have in this draft with two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders. Whether we stand pat and make our picks or package picks and prospects to move up or else use our picks to trade for another teams existing player there are definitely a ton of options.

One guy I've seen on a couple of different mock drafts they have going to us with the Nashville pick is RW Tom Wilson from the Plymouth Whalers. Not what you'd call a playmaker by any stretch, but at 6'4" and 200 lbs he seems to have the mean streak and toughness that's lacking on this team. To anyone who has a chance to watch junior hockey in person or on tv what do you guys think about him? Could he add some much needed grit to this team or would he be another waste like Jason Peters?

Personally, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on the guy if we manage to get a solid center prospect like Faksa, Galchenyuk, or Girgensons at #12.

andrew peters bro, jason peters played for the bills and the idiot bills should have done everything to try to keep him...

andrew peters bro, jason peters played for the bills and the idiot bills should have done everything to try to keep him...

My mistake, man. I guess I lost his name from my memory bank after he hasn't played here in a number of seasons now. Back on point though, do you have any insights into Tom Wilson? Does he have the potential to be a Lucic or Hartnell type or would he end up like Andrew Peters where he'd only play when we know the likelihood of fights are high?

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Tom-Wilson

Punishing winger with decent hands and promise in slot anchoring. Skating is a work in progress but his impact as an imposing offensive corner punisher is undeniable. Not destined to be a 20-goal NHLer, but will have merit down low and in front, as he brings nastiness and grit.

The top rated prospects are mostly D-men but even then I don't know if Faksa or Galchenyuk will be available.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Galchenyuk is there at 12. Faksa has an outside chance of being there, but I really doubt that too. If we want one of them, trading up is really the only option.

Thanks, Weave. I think I read that the other day when I was googling nhl mock drafts trying to speculate on who we may pick up. He seems like an interesting prospect for sure and if Lindy and Darcy think he could develop into a Scott Hartnell type, I'd be all for it.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Galchenyuk is there at 12. Faksa has an outside chance of being there, but I really doubt that too. If we want one of them, trading up is really the only option.

That's my biggest fear as well. I really want to land one of the top center prospects in this draft but obviously would prefer not to be forced to bet the farm on them in case they don't pan out. I think Grigorenko is gone for sure and Galchenyuk will likely be gone too. That leaves Faksa and Girgensons as the best available but I don't know much about them other than reading small snippets and seeing stat lines. How far up do you think we'd need to trade up to assure ourselves of landing Faksa? Any chance packaging the #12 pick with one of our 2nd rounders is enough?

Thanks, Weave. I think I read that the other day when I was googling nhl mock drafts trying to speculate on who we may pick up. He seems like an interesting prospect for sure and if Lindy and Darcy think he could develop into a Scott Hartnell type, I'd be all for it.

Well, if they are projecting less than 20 goals as his upside, Hartnell is probably a poor comparison. Hartnell has been over 20 goals 6 times in his career so far.

Well, if they are projecting less than 20 goals as his upside, Hartnell is probably a poor comparison. Hartnell has been over 20 goals 6 times in his career so far.

Good point. Maybe he could be a bigger, nastier version of Chris Neil. I'd be ok with that providing we pick up a good center prospect with our top pick.

Archived