Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

That's my biggest fear as well. I really want to land one of the top center prospects in this draft but obviously would prefer not to be forced to bet the farm on them in case they don't pan out. I think Grigorenko is gone for sure and Galchenyuk will likely be gone too. That leaves Faksa and Girgensons as the best available but I don't know much about them other than reading small snippets and seeing stat lines. How far up do you think we'd need to trade up to assure ourselves of landing Faksa? Any chance packaging the #12 pick with one of our 2nd rounders is enough?

It's really hard to say on Faksa, I've seen the guy ranked as high as top 5 and as low as mid teens. Personally I'm going to assume he's a top 10 player. If he's there at 8 I think that's probably the time we should jump up for him. Carolina is good on centers with Staal, Sutter, and Dalpe probably making the jump next year, but Winnipeg at 9 has bare down the middle both on their roster and system with the exception of Scheifele. And Washington at 11 certainly needs a #2 center. I think the wild card is Anaheim at 6 since they essentially have Getzlaf and then nothing, with only 1 good center prospect. But they also have holes on D and on the wing, so depending how they rank the prospects, I can see them going any number of ways.

If I'm handicapping, I say getting into the top 8 gets you Faksa, and top 5 gets you Galchenyuk. Personally I think the dropoff in offensive upside from Galchenyuk to Faksa is big enough it is worth doing what it takes to trade with the Islanders.

andrew peters bro, jason peters played for the bills and the idiot bills should have done everything to try to keep him...

Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles twice, the second time literally falling off a wagon. Eagles paid $11M/yr just to say they had a Pro Bowl LT and not much else. Besides Peters admitted as much that he was not trying hard in Buffalo because he felt underpaid. You never reward a player who does that. Never.

PTR

Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles twice, the second time literally falling off a wagon. Eagles paid $11M/yr just to say they had a Pro Bowl LT and not much else. Besides Peters admitted as much that he was not trying hard in Buffalo because he felt underpaid. You never reward a player who does that. Never.

PTR

oh ok i didnt know all that. all i knew is that he was pretty good for us.

anything that brings grigorenko to buffalo I have huge reservations over considering all the talk about how lazy he is. Galchenyuk Would be great.

The problem is with all the issues this team has and the questions surrounding their ability to "compete" night in and night out I really would rather not bring a player that already has rumblins surrounding him for being a lazy type of person who plays when he feels like it. He could grow out of it or the people looking at his game could be wrong. I am just hesitant to commit I suppose.

anything that brings grigorenko to buffalo I have huge reservations over considering all the talk about how lazy he is. Galchenyuk Would be great.

The problem is with all the issues this team has and the questions surrounding their ability to "compete" night in and night out I really would rather not bring a player that already has rumblins surrounding him for being a lazy type of person who plays when he feels like it. He could grow out of it or the people looking at his game could be wrong. I am just hesitant to commit I suppose.

I still have no idea what to really believe about Grigorenko. I've read some anonymous takes that he is just completely disinterested, some that say he has ups and downs but attribute it to being an 18 year old kid, and some who don't see a problem at all with his work ethic.

I don't really see why the Sabres are reportedly trying to move up in the draft. Seems to me that the guy they should go after is Brendan Gaunce who could still easily be available in the 12th spot. Then again, maybe they really really want Gaunce and want to make absolutely sure he's still on the board by moving up a little (but top 5 though??)

Gaunce seems to be the kind of guy that just plugs a number of holes for the Sabres. Natural center, NHL ready size, though and gritty (in the OHL at least), strong on the boards and in front of the net, works hard on the puck and has a great 2 way game, plus, everyone points out his leadership on and off the ice. I don't care that there are flashier players available, the Sabres have enough flash.

I don't really see why the Sabres are reportedly trying to move up in the draft. Seems to me that the guy they should go after is Brendan Gaunce who could still easily be available in the 12th spot. Then again, maybe they really really want Gaunce and want to make absolutely sure he's still on the board by moving up a little (but top 5 though??)

Gaunce seems to be the kind of guy that just plugs a number of holes for the Sabres. Natural center, NHL ready size, though and gritty (in the OHL at least), strong on the boards and in front of the net, works hard on the puck and has a great 2 way game, plus, everyone points out his leadership on and off the ice. I don't care that there are flashier players available, the Sabres have enough flash.

The problem with Gaunce is he really has limited upside, and he's not a great skater. He's essentially Gaustad if Gaustad had any offensive ability at all. From what I've read he projects as more of an ideal checking line center than a typical top-6 guy (that's not to say he can't play in the top 6, but don't expect 60+ points from him). If he's there at 22 I'd definitely be interested, but I think 12 is much too early.

Edit: Just had a brainstorm comparison for Gaunce - Martin Hanzal. I'd love to have a Hanzal on this team, but I don't want him taken at the top of round 1.

Sounds like you've just described Semin, another player I don't want the Sabres near.

Sounds like you've just described Semin, another player I don't want the Sabres near.

Which is why I remain nervous and highly skeptical over this years draft. Galchenyuk sounds much better as far as work ethic but he was injured all season so wth knows if his skills are NHL ready. The good news is he theoretically could fall a little lower (6-8) because he has not played for almost a year. I still think the order should be Faksa - Gaunce - Pearsson, thats my draft board going forward.

The problem with Gaunce is he really has limited upside, and he's not a great skater. He's essentially Gaustad if Gaustad had any offensive ability at all. From what I've read he projects as more of an ideal checking line center than a typical top-6 guy (that's not to say he can't play in the top 6, but don't expect 60+ points from him). If he's there at 22 I'd definitely be interested, but I think 12 is much too early.

Edit: Just had a brainstorm comparison for Gaunce - Martin Hanzal. I'd love to have a Hanzal on this team, but I don't want him taken at the top of round 1.

This is the problem with Gaunce but if you do not move out of the 12 spot I think this is what you are going to get. Drafting yet another Defensemen seems foolish but we have already had the "best draft player available" argument so understand if thats what we get its just getting to the point where you must draft centermen. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Cat Nasty the best center prospect we have? The end of next month should be really fascinating...

If you see Gaunce as the next Paul Gaustad I can see your reservations, but I think that is selling short what Gaunce projects to be. Obviously there are players with better scoring touch in the draft, but what does it cost to get there? The way I see it there's no point for the Sabres to trade up to pick defense, so it basically comes down to trading up for either Forsberg or Faksa most likely, unless they are shooting for Grigorenko(???). If that is the case, I'd keep both first rounders and get Gaunce who is a great fit and from what I see is pretty close to be able to make the jump up already. He gives us a mountain of muscle to park in front of the net for Vanek, reportedly has great leadership qualities that projects to be a future NHL captain, has top 6 upside, gives us tremendous grit along the boards as well as a decent production if all pans out.

So is the price worth moving up for a slicker, more offensively gifted center (I would assume the Sabres would pick Faksa over Forsberg) when we still don't know what Armia will do? Or do you keep the picks, and hope Gaunce is still available in the 12 spot? I know I would hold on to both 1st rounders and go for Gaunce, but it seems Regier might not agree with me.

If you see Gaunce as the next Paul Gaustad I can see your reservations, but I think that is selling short what Gaunce projects to be. Obviously there are players with better scoring touch in the draft, but what does it cost to get there? The way I see it there's no point for the Sabres to trade up to pick defense, so it basically comes down to trading up for either Forsberg or Faksa most likely, unless they are shooting for Grigorenko(???). If that is the case, I'd keep both first rounders and get Gaunce who is a great fit and from what I see is pretty close to be able to make the jump up already. He gives us a mountain of muscle to park in front of the net for Vanek, reportedly has great leadership qualities that projects to be a future NHL captain, has top 6 upside, gives us tremendous grit along the boards as well as a decent production if all pans out.

So is the price worth moving up for a slicker, more offensively gifted center (I would assume the Sabres would pick Faksa over Forsberg) when we still don't know what Armia will do? Or do you keep the picks, and hope Gaunce is still available in the 12 spot? I know I would hold on to both 1st rounders and go for Gaunce, but it seems Regier might not agree with me.

Personally I think there's a good chance Gaunce will still be there with our second pick in the 1st (22 I believe). The Gaustad comparison was definitely underselling his ability, which is why I tossed Hanzal out there, but I still think if we take him at 12 we're passing up better talent at other positions. I think the difference in talent between Galchenyuk and Gaunce is significant--Galchenyuk can be a star, Gaunce can be a very good player. As to Armia, he's definitely a winger, and I'd imagine Vanek's heir apparent as our best offensive threat on the wing.

My basic argument is this: the Sabres need legitimate top-end talent. I don't hate guys like Gaunce and Girgensons (another option at 12 if they insist on a center), but I don't think they're really what the Sabres need. The team couldn't reliably score, and there is limited offensive talent in the system. There are very few opportunities to get a shot at elite or near-elite talent, and the Sabres are in the rare position of having the ammunition to do so in this draft. I say they should take it.

Personally I think there's a good chance Gaunce will still be there with our second pick in the 1st (22 I believe). The Gaustad comparison was definitely underselling his ability, which is why I tossed Hanzal out there, but I still think if we take him at 12 we're passing up better talent at other positions. I think the difference in talent between Galchenyuk and Gaunce is significant--Galchenyuk can be a star, Gaunce can be a very good player. As to Armia, he's definitely a winger, and I'd imagine Vanek's heir apparent as our best offensive threat on the wing.

My basic argument is this: the Sabres need legitimate top-end talent. I don't hate guys like Gaunce and Girgensons (another option at 12 if they insist on a center), but I don't think they're really what the Sabres need. The team couldn't reliably score, and there is limited offensive talent in the system. There are very few opportunities to get a shot at elite or near-elite talent, and the Sabres are in the rare position of having the ammunition to do so in this draft. I say they should take it.

We are probably more in agreement than it seems. I don't think we have a shot at Galchenyuk though. I suspect he will go as the 2nd or 3rd pick and assuming we can't trade up that high, we're basically looking at Forsberg, Faksa or Gaunce. Yes, I expect Galchenyuk to go before Grigorenko in the draft, and I don't want the Sabres to draft Grigorenko. I am perhaps putting too much stock into the questions surrounding Grigorenko's work ethic, but I also think that you don't trade up in the draft and use your first round pick on someone with those kinds of questions attached to them. So, to me it is either stay put and hope to get Gaunce, or trade up for Faksa, Forsberg or a defender.

The rumors of the Sabres trading up makes me think that perhaps the Sabres are making a play for Galchenyuk. If they can make that happen I would not be complaining one bit, I just don't think they can.

This conversation seems to be spiraling down the path towards "draft a center at all costs" which is a mistake. If the right guy is there, fine, take him. But don't draft someone simply because he's a center. They're going to take the best available at each pick, yes, even if it is a defenseman. There will be plenty of opportunities throughout this draft and in free agency/trades to bolster the center ranks.

And it does look like you seem to be of similar thinking here. So I'm not singling you out, just wanted to reply to the ongoing conversation as a whole.

We are probably more in agreement than it seems. I don't think we have a shot at Galchenyuk though. I suspect he will go as the 2nd or 3rd pick and assuming we can't trade up that high, we're basically looking at Forsberg, Faksa or Gaunce. Yes, I expect Galchenyuk to go before Grigorenko in the draft, and I don't want the Sabres to draft Grigorenko. I am perhaps putting too much stock into the questions surrounding Grigorenko's work ethic, but I also think that you don't trade up in the draft and use your first round pick on someone with those kinds of questions attached to them. So, to me it is either stay put and hope to get Gaunce, or trade up for Faksa, Forsberg or a defender.

The rumors of the Sabres trading up makes me think that perhaps the Sabres are making a play for Galchenyuk. If they can make that happen I would not be complaining one bit, I just don't think they can.

If I had to guess the Draft will prob go:

Yakupov - Forsberg/Murray - Murray/Forsberg - Grigorenko - Galchenyuk

Of Course that can easily change on draft day and Galchenyuk could go 3rd (I am guessing the oilers will draft a defender but could be wrong)

That being said I still firmly believe the prize the Sabres should be looking to is Radek Faksa. Hes big, hard working, a center, lead all the OHL in rookie points, gwg, +- and will probably fall to 6-8 if we have any luck. If the Sabres can get him then excellent. This draft is IMHO going to answer most of my remaining questions about where this team sees itself right now and going forward in their goal to win a cup in another 2 years. If they draft defense again I may seriously break something.

This conversation seems to be spiraling down the path towards "draft a center at all costs" which is a mistake. If the right guy is there, fine, take him. But don't draft someone simply because he's a center. They're going to take the best available at each pick, yes, even if it is a defenseman. There will be plenty of opportunities throughout this draft and in free agency/trades to bolster the center ranks.

And it does look like you seem to be of similar thinking here. So I'm not singling you out, just wanted to reply to the ongoing conversation as a whole.

I have never truly believed in this concept and if they draft a defender then Darcy is dumber than I thought. If a defender is the best available then they should have traded up. Basically my stance is and will continue to be "If the Sabres draft a defenseman with their highest pick in 2012, it constitutes nothing less than a failure on Regier's part to understand what this team desperately needs which is high end offensive talent in the forward ranks."

Of Course that can easily change on draft day and Galchenyuk could go 3rd (I am guessing the oilers will draft a defender but could be wrong)

That being said I still firmly believe the prize the Sabres should be looking to is Radek Faksa. Hes big, hard working, a center, lead all the OHL in rookie points, gwg, +- and will probably fall to 6-8 if we have any luck. If the Sabres can get him then excellent. This draft is IMHO going to answer most of my remaining questions about where this team sees itself right now and going forward in their goal to win a cup in another 2 years. If they draft defense again I may seriously break something.

I have never truly believed in this concept and if they draft a defender then Darcy is dumber than I thought. If a defender is the best available then they should have traded up. Basically my stance is and will continue to be "If the Sabres draft a defenseman with their highest pick in 2012, it constitutes nothing less than a failure on Regier's part to understand what this team desperately needs which is high end offensive talent in the forward ranks."

Why would you not want the best available position? Any rookie is unlikely to make the opening day roster, let alone have a serious impact on it, so this is a move for the future. If it is a move for the future, then surely you should draft the best possible player and then use them to trade for something you need, rather than drafting who you need right at the time

That bolded line is a bit of a head scratcher. So if they get to their pick and the top guy on their board is D, they should think "oh crap, we should have traded up"? What if their board goes Yakupov and then a bunch of d-men? So they either need to move up to #1 or bust? If a team approaches the draft with that kind of thinking, the "we need to fill this specific whole" idea, you're going to be left with a team full of holes. There are other avenues towards building a team and you're not going to fill today's needs in the crap shoot that is the NHL draft.

And as for taking a d-man with their first pick being a complete failure, they have 4 picks in the top 44! A lot can be done within that window. There is going to be prime talent for the taking. Would you be as upset if it went D, F, F, F in that order? You of all people must be pretty happy with that last forward we took with our second pick of the first round.

That bolded line is a bit of a head scratcher. So if they get to their pick and the top guy on their board is D, they should think "oh crap, we should have traded up"? What if their board goes Yakupov and then a bunch of d-men? So they either need to move up to #1 or bust? If a team approaches the draft with that kind of thinking, the "we need to fill this specific whole" idea, you're going to be left with a team full of holes. There are other avenues towards building a team and you're not going to fill today's needs in the crap shoot that is the NHL draft.

And as for taking a d-man with their first pick being a complete failure, they have 4 picks in the top 44! A lot can be done within that window. There is going to be prime talent for the taking. Would you be as upset if it went D, F, F, F in that order? You of all people must be pretty happy with that last forward we took with our second pick of the first round.

I don't understand that bolded part, is it a Tyler Ennis joke because I didn't make a big deal of him going to center. As for the D, F, F, F scenario I would be somewhat upset yes. There may only be 1 or 2 defensmen in the league who you could trade straight up for a forward of high caliber. That is my logic, if the Sabres believe going into the draft they can draft a high caliber offensive forward with grit, which at this point is not a need but a dire must have, but they have to move up to do that then they must move up. I'm not trying to start something with you but until someone can persuade me that you must only ever draft best available I will hold to my guns. That being said I understand the logic of your argument I just think there must be exceptions to any rule and this is definately one of them.

ps. They do not need to draft a center but a offensive forward.

If both Faksa and Gaunce are available whenever the Sabres pick, of course they need to pick Faksa. I just don't think the difference between the two is enough to trade up for. I am assuming that the trading up in the draft will mean we package both our picks in the first round to move up though. If we can move up for cheaper I am all for it. The way I see it though, Faksa has limited scoring upside, Gaunce has limited scoring upside, Faksa is a better prospect, but not by enough for me to say it's worth to move up for him.

Then again, if the work ethic issue with Grigorenko is overblown which it might very well be, the Sabres have a chance to basically pick #1 level talent if they go after him. I wouldn't, but I can see why someone would.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out when all is said and done!

Ahhhh, the voice of reason. I completely agree. Not sure why you would be so pissed about taking a Dman Liger. I know we've got some in the pipeline now but I am fully expecting atleast one of the prospects will be gone in a draft day trade. I hope atleast.

Archived