Who should the Sabres Draft in the first and second round?

North Buffalo

So the Sabres are in fact drafting 12th another step back...

Despite enjoying the rush to finish just outside of the last playoff spot... I do think the Sabres would have been better off losing a lot more of the final games from a draft choices stance that another thread has suggested. Hard to hurry up and wait till the next year's season.

The more I read the more I think the Sabres should move up to take Grigorenko by dumping Roy and then later on back it up with another center in Stephan Matteau another big guy. Even if he ends up playing wing, the guy can score and he plays with an edge and you can't teach genetics a la Folignos. Since D is strong, I say the Sabres take one in between.

From what I understand of Grigorenko's work ethic and attitude I wouldn't want him or his talents anywheres near my team. Alexander Ovechkin is highly skilled but hes a craptastic teammate and lazy.

The only player around the the sabres (probably will go top ten so we would have to move up to 7-9) is Radek Faksa. http://thehockeywriters.com/radek-faksa-the-next-ones-nhl-2012-draft-prospect-profile-ascending-up-the-ranks/

If we still have that 2nd 1st round pick I like Matteau and he has the potential to fall that far.

If we still have both of our 2nd rounders we could use a LW with good potnetial in the pipeline and we could also draft a goalie or defensemen to round out the 2nd round.

The lottery is bullcrap. Last should get first, period end of story.

Disagree, I'm so sick of hearing about losing to strengthen your draft pick. Every team who misses the playoffs should be tossed into one big lottery for draft positioning.

From what I understand of Grigorenko's work ethic and attitude I wouldn't want him or his talents anywheres near my team. Alexander Ovechkin is highly skilled but hes a craptastic teammate and lazy.

The only player around the the sabres (probably will go top ten so we would have to move up to 7-9) is Radek Faksa. http://thehockeywrit...g-up-the-ranks/

If we still have that 2nd 1st round pick I like Matteau and he has the potential to fall that far.

If we still have both of our 2nd rounders we could use a LW with good potnetial in the pipeline and we could also draft a goalie or defensemen to round out the 2nd round.

My main target is Galchenyuk, but it's a definite possibility that moving up high enough to draft him will simply be too costly (especially if the Sabres are trying to make a big trade for a current NHL player). If that's the case, I'm absolutely on board with moving up a little to grab Faksa, which is probably a more plausible scenario than getting into the top 4-5 for Galchenyuk. The "old Sabres" would probably stand pat and settle for a guy like Gaunce, but the "new sabres" give me hope that they will aggressively pursue the better talent.

I may get roasted for this opinion but.....

I'm alright if the Sabres stand pat and use their 4 picks in the top 44 of the draft. Now that we have an owner willing to spend whatever money is required to win the cup, we need good young talent. The salary cap is an issue and young guys playing on their entry level deals at a high level are gold in the NHL today. From what I've read it's a fairly deep draft and we could use some stocking of forwards down in Rochester IMO. I know we had to call a bunch of kids up from the A which didn't help but the Ameriks are not even in a playoff spot yet?! That's not a loaded farm if you ask me. From a salary cap perspective, I'll take some young guns.

I'm alright if the Sabres stand pat and use their 4 picks in the top 44 of the draft. Now that we have an owner willing to spend whatever money is required to win the cup, we need good young talent. The salary cap is an issue and young guys playing on their entry level deals at a high level are gold in the NHL today. From what I've read it's a fairly deep draft and we could use some stocking of forwards down in Rochester IMO. I know we had to call a bunch of kids up from the A which didn't help but the Ameriks are not even in a playoff spot yet?! That's not a loaded farm if you ask me. From a salary cap perspective, I'll take some young guns.

I don't think you're going to get roasted. I'd be OK with it as well. The Sabres farm isn't super deep. The best guys from the 2009 draft are probably Sabres next year (Foligno, McNabb). We're adding Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, and Sundher to Rochester next year, but it's not like we have a ton of guys on the way.

If the draft is deep, this might be a good year to stock up. We haven't had a 2nd round pick each of the last three years so we haven't picked up as many young guys as we could have. We currently don't have any more prospects as big/tough as McNabb and Foligno. And we should also think about drafting another goalie at some point since Miller is 30 now.

Anyone they draft this year will not be headed to Rochester this year. The Amerks should have a decent talent infusion headed their way from the last two drafts and any other signings though. They'll still have plenty of midround picks to shore up Rochester's future, so if they can use this glut of early picks for an immediate help to the big club, they probably should.

Edit: I was under the impression that Catenacci was a year older and could head to Rochester next year, but upon further review, he's too young. So that's one less player than I originally though. Still, I think they should be able to retain enough draft pieces to stock up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, this is the draft site that correctly predicted the Sabres taking Joel Armia in the first round last year: http://www.mynhldraf...NHL-Mock-Draft/

And here's a 7 round mock: http://www.draftsite...ock-draft/2012/

If I'm using the draft picks (and not trading up or down), I'm praying that Brendan Gaunce is still there when we draft first. He's a big center from Ontario and every scouting report raves about his character and work ethic. http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=128003

Big supporter of the Gaunce pick. Is the general consensus that he won't be there at 12? Real nice article about him, written in Jan

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13678/2012_prospects_brendan_gaunce_fast_becoming_complete_player/

There looks to be a ton of value in the second and third rounds this year.

I expect the first round to be D heavy. D is loaded but not an outstanding Buffalo need at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy packages the two first round picks for a player, and gets a 2nd or 3rd round pick coming back.

I'm a fan of this assuming we get solid return.

We need a really solid, shot-blocking, stay at home defenseman. If you can get him as a FA, great. Otherwise, draft one who appears to be almost NHL-ready, if there's one out there who fits the bill.

Yes, another center would be nice, especially a respected, productive veteran who can scorch tail in the locker room. Perhaps you trade your two number 1s for such a beast.

We need a really solid, shot-blocking, stay at home defenseman. If you can get him as a FA, great. Otherwise, draft one who appears to be almost NHL-ready, if there's one out there who fits the bill.

Um...Regehr, Weber, McNabb, Pysyk don't fit the bill?

From the Buffalo News article on the NFL draft:

Nix said the Bills considered a move up. But he said it never got anywhere close to happening.

"We had opportunities to move up more than move down," Nix said. "We just didn't want to give up draft picks. I never do like doing that. I think you swap two guys for one,

and if you miss on that one it costs you dearly. We did not entertain moving down."

In 2003, instead of trading up, the Philadelphia Flyers drafted Carter(11) & Richards(24) with similar 1st round picks as Buffalo has this year. And, as you will recall, both players

were traded away last Summer in what looks like good deals for Philly.

So, yeah, trade Roy, Miller, etc. for other players, but do not trade away your picks for a crapshoot on a marginally better player.

Just my two cents.

From the Buffalo News article on the NFL draft:

Nix said the Bills considered a move up. But he said it never got anywhere close to happening.

"We had opportunities to move up more than move down," Nix said. "We just didn't want to give up draft picks. I never do like doing that. I think you swap two guys for one,

and if you miss on that one it costs you dearly. We did not entertain moving down."

In 2003, instead of trading up, the Philadelphia Flyers drafted Carter(11) & Richards(24) with similar 1st round picks as Buffalo has this year. And, as you will recall, both players

were traded away last Summer in what looks like good deals for Philly.

So, yeah, trade Roy, Miller, etc. for other players, but do not trade away your picks for a crapshoot on a marginally better player.

Just my two cents.

The Oilers got Dubnyk (14th) and Schremp (25th) in the 2004 draft

The Caps got Pokulok (14th) and Finley (27th) in the 2005 draft

The Kings got Berinier (11th) and Lewis (17th) in the 2006 draft

The Blues got Eller (13th) and Cole (18th) in the 2007 draft

The Sabres got Myers (12th) and Ennis (26th) in the 2008 draft

The Ducks got Holland (15th) and Palmeri (26th) in the 2009 draft

With the exception of the sabres, and possible the ducks as it is too early to tell, it seems that having mutliple picks might not be a great idea and the later pick appears to be a bust a lot and so it would be better to move up to a top 10 to ensure a good player than take the chance. But then, if we are the exception, maybe we can do it again?

The Oilers got Dubnyk (14th) and Schremp (25th) in the 2004 draft

The Caps got Pokulok (14th) and Finley (27th) in the 2005 draft

The Kings got Berinier (11th) and Lewis (17th) in the 2006 draft

The Sabres got Myers (12th) and Ennis (26th) in the 2008 draft

The Ducks got Holland (15th) and Palmeri (26th) in the 2009 draft

With the exception of the sabres, and possible the ducks as it is too early to tell, it seems that having mutliple picks might not be a great idea and the later pick appears to be a bust a lot and so it would be better to move up to a top 10 to ensure a good player than take the chance. But then, if we are the exception, maybe we can do it again?

It's a bit early on St. Louis too, but they did turn Eller into Halak.

And as for the argument for moving up or not, what if they turn one first and one second into a higher first round pick? That definitely sounds more palatable than packing both first rounders. I won't say they shouldn't make any move until I see what the move actually is.

Correction: In 2007, the Blues got Eller (13), Cole (18), & Perron (26). Perron has played well when healthy. Eller got moved in a great trade for Halak. The jury is still out on Cole.

Regardless, the point is that this proves that multiple picks can be better than one. Let's consider if the Blues had used their picks to move up in the draft. Patrick Kane was #1 and a

bonified star. In fact, Yakupov's profile and size seem distantly similar to Kane's. But, Kane's 145 points in his 1st year in junior (OHL) is 44 better than Yakupov had his 1st year despite

playing 7 more games.

But, let's play the what-if game. Would two or even three of the Blue's #1 picks have landed them Kane? Maybe, I don't know. I think the consensus then was that Kane was a sure-thing

whereas Yakupov still has some question marks.

What about other possible moves? Kyle Turris at #3 hasn't exactly lived up to that ranking. Sam Gagner(6) has had 220 points so far, but I doubt that many people

are calling him a star player (aside from one incredible night, and the Oilers were still looking to trade him). Hickey at #4 looks like a bust, likewise Hamill at #8.

McDonagh has people thinking star player, but he was only picked at #12 (where the Sabres will pick), one ahead of Eller.

That draft also include such likely busts as Chereponov (17), McMillan (18), Esposito(20) (once projected to be a superstar), White (25), Petrecki (28), Ross (30). The point is that I think that

St. Louis served themselves well by keeping the three picks and parlaying them into Halak, Perron, & Cole. Yeah, Kane has a Stanley Cup ring. But, the fact that Blues advanced whereas

Patrick Kane's Chicago didn't That seems to say that that Kane for Eller/Halak, Perron, & Cole isn't necessarily a no-brainer.

Again, just my humble analysis.

Correction: In 2007, the Blues got Eller (13), Cole (18), & Perron (26). Perron has played well when healthy. Eller got moved in a great trade for Halak. The jury is still out on Cole.

Regardless, the point is that this proves that multiple picks can be better than one. Let's consider if the Blues had used their picks to move up in the draft. Patrick Kane was #1 and a

bonified star. In fact, Yakupov's profile and size seem distantly similar to Kane's. But, Kane's 145 points in his 1st year in junior (OHL) is 44 better than Yakupov had his 1st year despite

playing 7 more games.

But, let's play the what-if game. Would two or even three of the Blue's #1 picks have landed them Kane? Maybe, I don't know. I think the consensus then was that Kane was a sure-thing

whereas Yakupov still has some question marks.

What about other possible moves? Kyle Turris at #3 hasn't exactly lived up to that ranking. Sam Gagner(6) has had 220 points so far, but I doubt that many people

are calling him a star player (aside from one incredible night, and the Oilers were still looking to trade him). Hickey at #4 looks like a bust, likewise Hamill at #8.

McDonagh has people thinking star player, but he was only picked at #12 (where the Sabres will pick), one ahead of Eller.

That draft also include such likely busts as Chereponov (17), McMillan (18), Esposito(20) (once projected to be a superstar), White (25), Petrecki (28), Ross (30). The point is that I think that

St. Louis served themselves well by keeping the three picks and parlaying them into Halak, Perron, & Cole. Yeah, Kane has a Stanley Cup ring. But, the fact that Blues advanced whereas

Patrick Kane's Chicago didn't That seems to say that that Kane for Eller/Halak, Perron, & Cole isn't necessarily a no-brainer.

Again, just my humble analysis.

This is the first round by order, although picking one draft to analyse seems a little pointless, but oh well:

Kane - Good

JVR - Good

Turris - Meh - Turning it around with the Sens, still not great though

Hickey - Flop

Alzner - Good

Gagner - Good, not as good as the others

Voracek - Good

Hamil - Flop

Couture - Good

Ellerby - Good

Sutter - Good

Mcdonagh - Good

Eller - Alright

Shattenkirk - Good

Plante - Flop

Gillis - Flop

Cherepanov - Dead

Cole - Alright

MacMillian - Flop

Esposito - Flop

Nash - Meh

Pacioretty - Good

Blum - Alright

Backlund - Alright/Meh

White - Flop

Perron - Good

Smith - Alright

Patrecki - Flop

O'Biren - Alright

Ross - Flop

It seems to be that there is a clear difference between the top half and bottom half of that draft, but then i made those rankings, so i could be bias. I think that we should use a combination of picks/players to move into the 5-7 range and get an upgrade for our current roster. So ideally we would have, one top 5 pick, one second and an upgrade. But i don't really mind that much

Archived