Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Just wandered into this thread for the first time in awhile- in regards to you and Bio talking about it- my eye doctor put me on flaxseed oil to help with my post laser eye surgery dryness. I was on Restasis and systane as well. 

I tried the flaxseed. It's also a natural laxative. I quit the flaxseed. Even a small amount was having.... terrible effects. Fish oil does the same thing. Damn. Wish I could take stuff. Then again, I think I have an ulcer or something going. I get all the symptoms of a violent stomach flu a good 1-2 times a week now. But who the heck has time/money to see a doctor? Oh well, keeping me skinny. Anyone got other suggestions? 

Yes.  Find the time to see the doctor.

Just wandered into this thread for the first time in awhile- in regards to you and Bio talking about it- my eye doctor put me on flaxseed oil to help with my post laser eye surgery dryness. I was on Restasis and systane as well.

I tried the flaxseed. It's also a natural laxative. I quit the flaxseed. Even a small amount was having.... terrible effects. Fish oil does the same thing. Damn. Wish I could take stuff. Then again, I think I have an ulcer or something going. I get all the symptoms of a violent stomach flu a good 1-2 times a week now. But who the heck has time/money to see a doctor? Oh well, keeping me skinny. Anyone got other suggestions?

Coming from someone who can find an excuse to stay away from a doctor no matter what symptoms I get, this sounds like something that you should go see a doctor about.

I buy Spring Valley. It's a common brand at CVS and Wal-Mart. It's $8 or so for 200, 1,200 MG softgels. I take up to nine a day. If you Google around you'll see that no one really has a good understanding of why fish or flax oil helps with dry eyes, which one is better or what an effective dose is. Probably a good idea to start flaxseed oil low and increase slowly to make it doesn't bother you. You can also buy the ground flaxseed and put it on oatmeal. It's nice.

Eye docs are notoriously bad at treating dry eyes. If you can, get to a doc who specializes in it and will take the time to give you a good diagnosis and a thoughtful treatment plan. For example, they might be giving you Restasis because they think you don't make enough tears when your real problem might be the more common evaporative dry eye, where the oil glands in your eyelids are not working properly. Restasis can help with that, but there are a lot of other things you can do (hot compresses, lid massage, lid wipes, blinking exercises).

P.S. bio, since you're smart and science-y, you'll probably get quite a bit out of this technical overview of aqueous vs. evaporative dry eye. http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine.com/optometrytimes/news/schachter-factor-evaporative-dry-eye-vs-aqueous-tear-deficiency?page=full

Thanks!  My new eye doc seems like he keeps up on research and the like (he was putting together a lecture on biofilms recently), but it does seem odd that as far as the dry eye he's mostly saying to give the Restasis more time.  What kind of medication needs 6+ months to take effect?  Sheesh.  But NINE capsules/day?   :blink:   Surprised you weren't having the same side effects as Jo...

Edit: Almost forgot -- ground flaxmeal goes rancid quickly, so you're better off buying flax seeds and grinding your own (I use a cheap coffee grinder) in small batches.

Oh dear... may need to re-think trying this, lol.  I've been taking ~1500 mg/day of fish oil with no problems, so maybe I'll be okay with adding a small amount of flaxseed oil.  And I'll echo the others saying you should see a doc, Jo!  That doesn't sound good.

Edited by biodork

haha I hereby claim you all to be my many surrogate mothers. <3

I guess I haven't because I went through this back in high school, went through every GI doc/dehumanizing test out there, and there was no major diagnosis. I'm missing the cilia and a lot of nerve function in my intestines from being too thin as a kid (heart problem). That's kinda it. And I made do throughout college. It has gotten worse again, I'd be willing to bet stress. I haven't been this freaked out about life in a real long time. I probably need a head doc more than a body doc. 

I just feel so whiny and crying wolf-y to fork over a ton of money for their "no giant pools of blood? you're fine, eat tums" diagnosis.

but this is the Awesome thread. Sorry for derailing. It's gorgeous outside- that's effing awesome. 

I guess I haven't because I went through this back in high school, went through every GI doc/dehumanizing test out there, and there was no major diagnosis. I'm missing the cilia and a lot of nerve function in my intestines from being too thin as a kid (heart problem). That's kinda it. And I made do throughout college. It has gotten worse again, I'd be willing to bet stress. I haven't been this freaked out about life in a real long time. I probably need a head doc more than a body doc. 

I just feel so whiny and crying wolf-y to fork over a ton of money for their "no giant pools of blood? you're fine, eat tums" diagnosis.

but this is the Awesome thread. Sorry for derailing. It's gorgeous outside- that's effing awesome. 

Today's date is your clue as to what my recommendation would be, for both the head and the stomach. B-)

I'm the last person anyone should take advice from but I too have had GI issues for a loooong time. I started taking a probiotic when I was ill those two weeks. What a difference it has made. I can't remember the culture's name right now but I'm better than the last 15 years FWIW.

I also recommend SwampD's remedy.

Today's date is your clue as to what my recommendation would be, for both the head and the stomach. B-)

It's a lulz-y comment, but probably some truth there potentially. I've heard physicians say: It is a drug with many, many good and helpful medical/pharmaceutical applications. If I am being fair: The same cannot really be said for alcohol (medically, speaking).

It's a lulz-y comment, but probably some truth there potentially. I've heard physicians say: It is a drug with many, many good and helpful medical/pharmaceutical applications. If I am being fair: The same cannot really be said for alcohol (medically, speaking).

haha I appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately everyone's favorite bud and I don't get along too well :( leaves me super depressed, and I've got direct orders from my cardiologist not to use it (or really anything that's fun like that) in any way. Makes my heart do funny stuff I guess. I've tried it in enough different forms to conclude it's just not a direction for me. 

What does Hitler's birthday have to do with this?

or Columbine? April's such a weird month. 

I'm the last person anyone should take advice from but I too have had GI issues for a loooong time. I started taking a probiotic when I was ill those two weeks. What a difference it has made. I can't remember the culture's name right now but I'm better than the last 15 years FWIW.

I also recommend SwampD's remedy.

Hey, I'll try it- when you remember the name lemme know! Gut problems just gallop in my family- and everyone tends to border on hypochondriac, so I hate even mentioning it... but d4rk's getting to where he's even bringing it up with me so... guess it's getting time. Tends to ruin a lot of days. I dare to eat and everything's downhill from there. Thought it was allergies to certain beers at first. Now I don't even need beer to have a memorable afternoon. So I just don't eat much during the week to get through... then I eat a real meal on the weekend and die. 

Thanks guys, y'all are salt of the earth. 

haha I appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately everyone's favorite bud and I don't get along too well :( leaves me super depressed, and I've got direct orders from my cardiologist not to use it (or really anything that's fun like that) in any way. Makes my heart do funny stuff I guess. I've tried it in enough different forms to conclude it's just not a direction for me.

You haven't had Swamp's Boychuk Brownies.

Josie. I went through the wringer of tests and finally got a diagnoses. A simple pinched nerve. Find the right doctor!

100% right. It's all going to be a PITA. Nothing will change that. We all sort of owe it to the people that want and need us around to suck it up and do it though. They need you, man. I've been to a lot of crappy doctors but have yet to find a good reason to not go.

Old married couple alert in the Friday thread.

Congrats and you know you are an old married couple when you spend your anniversary in a museum .........

<3 well, not married yet... we're too poor/disorganized for that!

The dinosaurs off to see the dinosaurs... 

<3 well, not married yet... we're too poor/disorganized for that!

The dinosaurs off to see the dinosaurs... 

5 years together = / = old married couple ...  :flirt:  ......... Museum outing on 5th anniversary = / = old married couple ...  ;)  ......... *might as well face it* ...  :P

We would have never gotten married if we had to wait for that to be over.

No kidding.

Jo and d4rk will have dinner at four and end up watching reruns of Murder She Wrote until eight, then maybe some graham crackers and milk and... anything can happen from there but most likely won't.

Ahhh yes.  Tuesday night.