Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

She's just about too much. In the best way. Really, almost not of this earth.

So I'm on the board of a small charitable organization.  And we decided to have a spaghetti dinner to honor our volunteers, who are dedicated and numerous.

My mother made sauce, meatballs, sausage, and pasta for 50 freaking people today.  36 showed up.  (She made it earlier in the week; fresh sauce freezes, but holy cow watch someone thaw 8 gallons of sauce and meat at once!  And cook the pasta and bake the garlic bread too!)

She is a champ.  

This thing could have happened three ways: We pay some crappy red sauce joint (1), we buy jar sauce (2), or my mom does what she did (3).

Mom is awesome.

I love this story.

Good, NS, good. Here's a little appetizer...

“You look at our winning percentage, and it’s been talked about the last 10, 20, 30, 40 games, and it’s almost .600,’’ Gionta said. “That’s what you want to be throughout the year. You’re one more win a month from being on that playoff cusp.’’

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2016/04/14/roth-s-safe-like-sabres-again/83033308/

I knew there was a lesser babka, but who knew there was a lesser CUSP!? This changes everything.

Good, NS, good. Here's a little appetizer...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2016/04/14/roth-s-safe-like-sabres-again/83033308/

I knew there was a lesser babka, but who knew there was a lesser CUSP!? This changes everything.

Oh captain, my captain.

Never mind a playoff cusp we want a SC cusp.  Just like in the days of yore.

Flaxseed oil. I've taken it religiously for years for dry eye. I think it helps a bit, but I've never been sure. Recently I stopped taking it, as a test. Two weeks later my eyes were still OK, but my hips started aching, which was something totally new for me, even at my advanced age. Back on flax for the last week and my hips are fine. Omega 3 fatty acids, baby.

Flaxseed oil. I've taken it religiously for years for dry eye. I think it helps a bit, but I've never been sure. Recently I stopped taking it, as a test. Two weeks later my eyes were still OK, but my hips started aching, which was something totally new for me, even at my advanced age. Back on flax for the last week and my hips are fine. Omega 3 fatty acids, baby.

Tor Eckman?

A whole bunch of early Spring Birthdays today.

Happy Day to all and we know what your parents were up to on the 4th of July in different years.

Skyrockets in flight!

There is nothing better than spring in WNY. God I love this land.

And NWPA. It's quite the paradox. You want it to be this way all the time, but if it were this way all the time, it wouldn't feel this way.

Interesting... I've been taking fish oil for years to help my cholesterol, and my eye doctor just this past week suggested upping the dose could help my dry eye (been on Restasis for about 3 months so far). I don't really want to double my fish oil since it's pricey (I take Barlean's) and can cause stomach upset, but maybe supplementing with flaxseed oil is a way to go. Any particular brands you like, PA?

Edited by biodork

I just walked and got a hair cut on Elmwood today. One of my favorite days of the year is the first really nice day of spring, especially walking down that street. Everything feels so alive.

Ah, I remember that day in BFLO. Every pasty white Buffalonian, crawling out the front door, hands covering their eyes as to not be blinded by the sun they haven't seen in 7 months. Good times, good times.  :angel:

Interesting... I've been taking fish oil for years to help my cholesterol, and my eye doctor just this past week suggested upping the dose could help my dry eye (been on Restasis for about 3 months so far). I don't really want to double my fish oil since it's pricey (I take Barlean's) and can cause stomach upset, but maybe supplementing with flaxseed oil is a way to go. Any particular brands you like, PA?

I buy Spring Valley. It's a common brand at CVS and Wal-Mart. It's $8 or so for 200, 1,200 MG softgels. I take up to nine a day. If you Google around you'll see that no one really has a good understanding of why fish or flax oil helps with dry eyes, which one is better or what an effective dose is. Probably a good idea to start flaxseed oil low and increase slowly to make it doesn't bother you. You can also buy the ground flaxseed and put it on oatmeal. It's nice.

Eye docs are notoriously bad at treating dry eyes. If you can, get to a doc who specializes in it and will take the time to give you a good diagnosis and a thoughtful treatment plan. For example, they might be giving you Restasis because they think you don't make enough tears when your real problem might be the more common evaporative dry eye, where the oil glands in your eyelids are not working properly. Restasis can help with that, but there are a lot of other things you can do (hot compresses, lid massage, lid wipes, blinking exercises).

P.S. bio, since you're smart and science-y, you'll probably get quite a bit out of this technical overview of aqueous vs. evaporative dry eye. http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine.com/optometrytimes/news/schachter-factor-evaporative-dry-eye-vs-aqueous-tear-deficiency?page=full

Edited by PASabreFan

Just wandered into this thread for the first time in awhile- in regards to you and Bio talking about it- my eye doctor put me on flaxseed oil to help with my post laser eye surgery dryness. I was on Restasis and systane as well. 

I tried the flaxseed. It's also a natural laxative. I quit the flaxseed. Even a small amount was having.... terrible effects. Fish oil does the same thing. Damn. Wish I could take stuff. Then again, I think I have an ulcer or something going. I get all the symptoms of a violent stomach flu a good 1-2 times a week now. But who the heck has time/money to see a doctor? Oh well, keeping me skinny. Anyone got other suggestions?