OT - Tim Thomas takes a stand.....

That Aud Smell

2 pages. Max.

Damn jackbooted thugs are gonna close down this thread before I get to occupy it.

*takes dump on thread*

PIGS !!!!

Oh, someone had his hummus today.

...but I thought Tim Thomas was a goalie and not a right winger. :blink:

Excellent.

I am not saying this as a military member at all, I am just pointing out how silly it is for a millionaire athlete to take a stand like this. I dont like what he says and I will defend to my death his right to say it. Sometimes though, I wish I didnt have to defend stupid crap like this.

I couldn't agree more, not because I like Obama, but because this is the problem with the right and left wings of this country. They don't understand how to disagree without being disagreable. I think it is pretty immature and I to think Thomas' stand is hypocritical, see above. That being said he is well within his rights to freely be immature and pathetic.

Tim Thomas can do whatever he wants, I think it's dumb because it's not a political event and it brings unneeded negative attention to him and his team (whether it should bring this attention is irrelevant, all that matters is it does). But whatever, his choice.

Also, political discussions devolve into name calling and garbage 99% of the time, especially on the internet. But if you're really into that kind of thing, I direct your attention to: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/forum/14-politics-polls-and-pundits/

Why is it silly? Because he's a rich athlete? I don't understand what his occupation or income has to do with it.

Now, if you're saying that refusing the invitation is equivalent to disrespecting the office of the presidency, that is a valid point. And you are certainly entitled to disagree with him on his opinion of this president.

But I go back to him not wanting to pose in a photo op that is designed to help the president. And I also go back to the more fundamental point that freedom of dissent is a very important right -- maybe the MOST important right -- that we all have in this country.

Also, Darcy must go.

I feel that athletes, musicians and actors should stay out of the political realm, I dont think it is their place. It is an important right and I don't think the people in this thread were calling for freedom of speech to be taken away, just some of the ways people choose to use it are idiotic.

Not to sound like a right winger, but I never got the tax argument from the left. Even with proposed tax cuts, upper ten percent still would pay well over 50 percent of all income taxes collected, and the bottom 50 percent of income earners wouldn't pay any. As of now they only pay 3 percent. I disagree with many things of the right and the GOP, but taxes were never one of them.

Firth place that figure it inaccurate, but is being repeated over and over again by the right wing. If you look at what the poor pay in overall taxes as part of their income compared to the rich, the poor pay a lot higher percentage of their income in taxes including Sales tax and fees. Even that out before you start helping out the rich income tax payers.

Firth place that figure it inaccurate, but is being repeated over and over again by the right wing. If you look at what the poor pay in overall taxes as part of their income compared to the rich, the poor pay a lot higher percentage of their income in taxes including Sales tax and fees. Even that out before you start helping out the rich income tax payers.

The poor also face financial penalties that middle and upper class earners do not, such as being unable to get loans for costly automobile and home repair, for health costs if they cannot qualify for insurance, for bank fees because their accounts are perpetually empty, and for late fees and debt incurred because rent and other bills don't get paid on time.

There is greater cost to not having money than simply taxes, and the taxes just make it even more difficult.

Here is TT comment on his facebook page:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

I commend you for your service to this country but have zero respect for you personally. Make an argument that has intellectual merit (likes parts of your first reply to my post) and maybe I'll consider what you write as acceptable. You obviously are a very emotional guy but when you call people idiots and tell others to "F himself" then you lose credibility big time.

Good luck with everything it is you do in life, and I hope your temper/anger does not get the best of you.

And you are obviously paid to spew nonsense to get uninformed voters to believe the lie that Obama is even close to being a leftie. Not a single decision he has made since his inaguration has been anything but beneficial to the corporatist agenda which he serves as diligently as the last four presidents before him, and this whole right-wing crusade is meant to stoke the confederate/revisionist/bigot voting block into moving even further right.

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

If this is legit ... bully for him!!

But, it is a political statement. Just look at the reactions on this board.

I can respect that.

And you are obviously paid to spew nonsense to get uninformed voters to believe the lie that Obama is even close to being a leftie. Not a single decision he has made since his inaguration has been anything but beneficial to the corporatist agenda which he serves as diligently as the last four presidents before him, and this whole right-wing crusade is meant to stoke the confederate/revisionist/bigot voting block into moving even further right.

We all know the President, any President, is put in place by the powers that be (the people in real power) to serve their agenda. Real power in the US is concentrated in the hands of very few, who pull the strings. The same is true, but to a lesser extent, in Canada and most other nation states as well.

Now the mods can lock this puppy.

Oh dear I really do hate politics. If any situation that gets argued about (like this one) is flipped, you have the opposite side arguing the same thing. If this was five years ago and a more liberal athlete did this, you'd have all of the conservatives nagging about it. Who cares of Thomas didn't want to go? He got permission from the Bruins to stay, and while I would go in that situation regardless of my opinion of the President I don't feel angry that Thomas didn't. He is simply exercising a right that this wonderful nation allows him to.

Well, this is a load of paranoid hysteria.

Archived