OT - Tim Thomas takes a stand.....

That Aud Smell

Yeah this is stupid, if the President is not a part of your party who cares? He is an elected official in charge of your country. He was not unjustly elected even if you didn't vote for him. If you cant respect the position, and the process, than frankly Tim Thomas can get the F out of my country. I find this incredibly offensive especially being in the military. Respect the man or not I will always respect the position no matter what. For the hundreds of thousands serving that have given or would give the ultimate sacrifice and have entrusted the power to this man to send us to war. Yet Tim Thomas cant go to the white house to be honored??? That is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I for one hope USA hockey takes notice because if you don't want to respect the POTUS you shouldn't represent this country in any international competition.

Being a lowly immigrant I don't really have a voice in such matters but this pretty much sums up how I feel about this issue, regardless of political leanings.

If I'm a player who wins it all, I skip out on the Cup ceremony because I disagree with Bettman's views on collective bargaining.

:worthy:

35 years from now, i am sure that obama will have a much larger net worth than tim thomas. i don't see kigash as the operative angle.

I wont argue that. I think the angle here is to respect the job. Regardless of whether you agree with a President's politics, that is a job only the brave (and maybe a little crazy) pursue. You become villified by many, you age twice as fast as the average person, and most of the time you live long enough to see all the work you did be completely torn down by the next regime.

Talk about working hard for nothing. At least Thomas gets his name on the Stanley Cup.

Last time I checked this was a free country with the right to free expression, which the left so vehemently defends. And this was his way of expressing his opinion and standing up for his convictions.

And leave out the name-calling - uncalled for. You can disagree with me but you lose relevance when you do that.

You are an idiot too for supporting this. Boom name calling. Guess what all the devout conservatives right wingers taking shrapnel and bullets in the ###### afghan valley right now wouldnt turn down an oppurtunity for the commander in chief to honor them. Now some stupid athlete thinks he is gonna take a stand? He can go F himself, I hope he suck starts a pistol.

This is about the right or the left it is about respecting the position. Tim Thomas is an AssHat and I truly liked him before but no more. I dont want him representing the country that i love in any competition.

Well, I thought Thomas was an asshat before, but now I like him. I don't want Obama representing the country that I love in any capacity.

Hitler, Nazis, close the thread.

Last time I checked this was a free country with the right to free expression, which the left so vehemently defends. And this was his way of expressing his opinion and standing up for his convictions.

And leave out the name-calling - uncalled for. You can disagree with me but you lose relevance when you do that.

Yes, he has the right to refuse the invitation, he can't and should not be prosecuted for not going to a dinner, but that doesn't mean his not being a little bitch. It makes me lose respect for him to pull a stunt like that, that's all.

I say way to go Tim Thomas - love your passion and principles to not go with a bunch of lemmings to the White House to be congratulated by Obama. I say props to you for following your convictions, wish there were more of those like you !

link:

http://www.politico....ama-111928.html

Is this OP not somewhat troll like, maybe it's just me ... carry on.

Over/Under on pages before the lock?

I've got mixed feelings about this. I understand his convictions and political preferences but it is an invite to the Whitehouse. It's not like he's going to be forced to witness a gay marriage or anything.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what the scheduled entertainment was.

I certainly hope the lock comes quickly...

Yeah this is stupid, if the President is not a part of your party who cares? He is an elected official in charge of your country. He was not unjustly elected even if you didn't vote for him. If you cant respect the position, and the process, than frankly Tim Thomas can get the F out of my country. I find this incredibly offensive especially being in the military. Respect the man or not I will always respect the position no matter what. For the hundreds of thousands serving that have given or would give the ultimate sacrifice and have entrusted the power to this man to send us to war. Yet Tim Thomas cant go to the white house to be honored??? That is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I for one hope USA hockey takes notice because if you don't want to respect the POTUS you shouldn't represent this country in any international competition.

First of all, thank you for your service.

Second, the bolded statement makes no sense and is at odds with what you and you brothers and sisters are fighting to defend. This isn't Tim Thomas as a member of the military refusing to follow the orders of the commander-in-chief. This is a legitimate political protest.

And we should all be clear that presidents don't conduct these team visits because they love the sport -- the current president has never been to a Caps game -- they do them for one reason only, and that is to try to increase their popularity.

If Thomas doesn't want to help the president's reelection campaign because he thinks Obama's an incompetent bozo with a radical left-wing agenda who's never had a real job, has no idea how the private economy works and has visited great harm on this country both domestically and internationally -- that is 100% within Thomas' rights.

How quickly ppl forget George W. Bush and how his regime and policy's directly lead to this countries current economic turmoil... but hey if Thomas feels that strongly its his right to snub Obama, that's what makes this country an awesome one.

...in before the lock!

I agree it is a choice, but if the shoe were on the other foot Republicans would be crying foul saying he was un-american and a traitor...

I think it is fine to make a political statement, though I disagree with his stand and position. I am of the opinion that until politicians are willing to require states to drop sales tax as a way to fund things... an inherently regressive tax on the middle class and poor, I don't want to hear boo hoo about income tax and property tax issues.

The middle class is getting taxed death in small drips and drops with fees by local and state governments and corporations. I have little sympathy for Tim Thomas' who makes millions.

Finally, this is the kind of immaturity and intolerance we get for the extremes of the right and left. Both sides need to grow a pair and grow and stop the immature game of gotcha. Pathetic, you can disagree without being disagreable and this is another sad day in politics.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what the scheduled entertainment was.

I certainly hope the lock comes quickly...

First of all, thank you for your service.

Second, the bolded statement makes no sense and is at odds with what you and you brothers and sisters are fighting to defend. This isn't Tim Thomas as a member of the military refusing to follow the orders of the commander-in-chief. This is a legitimate political protest.

And we should all be clear that presidents don't conduct these team visits because they love the sport -- the current president has never been to a Caps game -- they do them for one reason only, and that is to try to increase their popularity.

If Thomas doesn't want to help the president's reelection campaign because he thinks Obama's an incompetent bozo with a radical left-wing agenda who's never had a real job, has no idea how the private economy works and has visited great harm on this country both domestically and internationally -- that is 100% within Thomas' rights.

I am not saying this as a military member at all, I am just pointing out how silly it is for a millionaire athlete to take a stand like this. I dont like what he says and I will defend to my death his right to say it. Sometimes though, I wish I didnt have to defend stupid crap like this.

You are an idiot too for supporting this. Boom name calling. Guess what all the devout conservatives right wingers taking shrapnel and bullets in the ###### afghan valley right now wouldnt turn down an oppurtunity for the commander in chief to honor them. Now some stupid athlete thinks he is gonna take a stand? He can go F himself, I hope he suck starts a pistol.

I commend you for your service to this country but have zero respect for you personally. Make an argument that has intellectual merit (likes parts of your first reply to my post) and maybe I'll consider what you write as acceptable. You obviously are a very emotional guy but when you call people idiots and tell others to "F himself" then you lose credibility big time.

Good luck with everything it is you do in life, and I hope your temper/anger does not get the best of you.

I commend you for your service to this country but have zero respect for you personally. Make an argument that has intellectual merit (likes parts of your first reply to my post) and maybe I'll consider what you write as acceptable. You obviously are a very emotional guy but when you call people idiots and tell others to "F himself" then you lose credibility big time.

Good luck with everything it is you do in life, and I hope your temper/anger does not get the best of you.

The bolded is exactly what Thomas should say while he accepts an HONOR from the president of his country.

I am not saying this as a military member at all, I am just pointing out how silly it is for a millionaire athlete to take a stand like this. I dont like what he says and I will defend to my death his right to say it. Sometimes though, I wish I didnt have to defend stupid crap like this.

Why is it silly? Because he's a rich athlete? I don't understand what his occupation or income has to do with it.

Now, if you're saying that refusing the invitation is equivalent to disrespecting the office of the presidency, that is a valid point. And you are certainly entitled to disagree with him on his opinion of this president.

But I go back to him not wanting to pose in a photo op that is designed to help the president. And I also go back to the more fundamental point that freedom of dissent is a very important right -- maybe the MOST important right -- that we all have in this country.

Also, Darcy must go.

p.s. when i say civility among foes, here's what i have in mind.

Thanks for posting that video by the way. Now I'm off reading about Chomsky and Buckley. These are things a youngin like me needs to learn.

Interesting quote about Buckley on wikipedia:

Lee (2008) argues that Buckley introduced a new rhetorical style that conservatives often tried to emulate. The "gladiatorial style", as Lee calls it, is flashy and combative, filled with sound bites, and leads to an inflammatory drama. As conservatives encountered Buckley's potent arguments about government, liberalism and markets, the theatrical appeal of Buckley's gladiatorial style inspired conservative imitators, becoming one of the principal templates for conservative rhetoric.

I think that is an accurate representation of where the conservative movement (and perhaps political discourse in general) has gone wrong, with outlets like FOX news being massive perperators. Buckley seems like a man who was not only extremely intelligent, but also capable of employing this style of rhetoric. The problem occurs when people of less learning use the same style. You get what we have now: Bombast sans complex intellectual thought.

Archived