Stafford needs to go

Eleven

IF Stafford continues to play like he did last night going forward the Sabres MAY have two of the best power forwards in the game under Nolan including Foligno. The two have proven when they follow through on checks and crash the net they are darn near unstoppable most nights. I admit these nights have been scant so far but I believe coaching can make a difference.

Edited by Bills12Sabres11

I thought that Stafford has looked good the last 3 games, hopefully Nolan can keep him to stay involved in the game and not float around, but that goes for at least a few other guys also. I was a little shocked to see that Stafford leads the team in SOG's, (52) maybe if he starts to bury a few more he'll get some confidence and want to play harder.

Nolan said with the vets you have to treat them with respect and everything thats happened before is out the window( sounds familiar to what Pegula said about Regier once upon a time ). Sounds like he's giving him every chance to prove himself. Hopefully he helps the team and in doing so ups his trade potential and value then ship him out. I'm afraid with Staff its what you see is what you get. Not much will change at this point in his career.

I'm done with him. I feel like the team can't trust him not to disappear after the compliance buyout period, after the next contract, etc.

And even when he should be fighting for his career, he's only had two or three games this season where he's put in a full effort.

/thread

That is a great question for the forum:

If Stafford continues to play like last night, is all forgiven?

Or has he already burned his bridge with you, the fan?

All is forgiven. It has to be. When I was in Buffalo visiting family and went to Laux for a Sabres jersey, they were all out of Vanek & Miller and I got stuck with Stafford. So I hope he redeems himself and I can wear the jersey with pride. No, pride isn't the right word... it has a slug logo after all....

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I had a nickel for every time Drew skates with the puck into the offensive zone, goes along the boards, gets squeezed out, and offers up a shot to the short side that the goalies handle easily. Or it might go wide altogether.

Over and over. :wallbash:

All of Stafford's shots appear aimed dead center at the goalie's chest. It's amazing he's actually got two whole goals after 35 games played given his bizarre and futile strategy.

Right. And it's bizarre and futile to hang on to him, salary cap be damned. The guy is the very definition of fail.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a vivid dream last night that we were tied with the islanders in buffalo, 3-3. And stafford, wearing a C, fought after a face off and knocked out the islander.

Go buffalo?

Sounds like Great Aunt Emma is making fruit cake with the recipe she learned in the sixties.

Yes, Stafford needs to go. But it's not easily accomplished in view of his contract, unless of course you merely cut him. Who would want to take that contract on for this serial underachiever? What's really puzzling is that before Stafford was drafted, he had the reputation with scouts as a hard driving two-way player. Hope that scout is no longer around. And please Ted, do not use DS in shootouts; he remains totally clueless.

Yes, Stafford needs to go. But it's not easily accomplished in view of his contract, unless of course you merely cut him. Who would want to take that contract on for this serial underachiever? What's really puzzling is that before Stafford was drafted, he had the reputation with scouts as a hard driving two-way player. Hope that scout is no longer around. And please Ted, do not use DS in shootouts; he remains totally clueless.

This thread is now 2 years and 2 weeks old. He is still not gone and will not be gone for a while.

Maybe we resign him at a proper price. I do not like it, but Stafford is really resistent to our wish to show him the door.

Woah, woah, woah, resign? He's around for another year and I think in the Nolan time he's made it off the buy-out list this off-season. If anything gets offered for him though, I'd trade him.

FWIW, Leino is the only person on the buyout list for me. I think he can be good in the right situation, but I'm not sure I keep him around for as many years as he's signed. If he only had another year (like Stafford), I'd keep him.

Woah, woah, woah, resign? He's around for another year and I think in the Nolan time he's made it off the buy-out list this off-season. If anything gets offered for him though, I'd trade him.

FWIW, Leino is the only person on the buyout list for me. I think he can be good in the right situation, but I'm not sure I keep him around for as many years as he's signed. If he only had another year (like Stafford), I'd keep him.

Agreed. I think since Nolan has lit a small fire under Stafford's arse, we may be able to move him at the deadline.

The only player I feel it is imperative to ditch now, after a month of Ted Nolan's coaching, is Ville Leino. He shows no improvement, and is a liability on the ice. It's almost like a power play for the other team when he's out there.

I don't feel the burning need to ditch either Stafford or Myers at this point - but I wouldn't cry if either were traded at some future point. I think I'm getting too mellow now that Pat and Ted hold the reins.

As much as I would like to Stafford and Leino gone before next season, the Sabres might be in a position where they can't afford to let either of them go. They represent $8.5 mil of the Sabres salary cap next year. The Sabres are already projected to be $41 mil under the cap. Removing another $8.5 mil and the Sabres might have trouble hitting the cap floor.