Stafford needs to go

Eleven

But can't they send him down (which involves waiving him) for the rest of the year and then buy him out? That would accomplish the "send the message" goal.

It could, but do you want to poison the young guys in Rochester if you do think he's that bad of an influence? For what it's worth, I was reading into all of these "waive him" comments as people wanting it done for an outright release.

So you realize the dismantling of the tired post-lockout core that began when Connolly was allowed to walk in the summer of 2011 will end by this year's trade deadline.

Connolly, Gaustad, Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Sekera, Vanek, Miller — all gone.

And the only man left standing in blue and gold will be Drew Stafford.

Stafford isn't going anywhere until the end of his contract, the Sabres will need it to reach the Cap floor.

I think many on here forget about the Cap floor.

There are plenty of overpaid players in the NHL who the Sabres can pick up if they need to reach the floor -- and 90% of them will produce more than Stafford.

There are plenty of overpaid players in the NHL who the Sabres can pick up if they need to reach the floor -- and 90% of them will produce more than Stafford.

Great, name me a few that would be willing to come to Buffalo at 4 mil or more a season. I doubt you'll find many, and in my opinion, any for that matter with Buffalo going into full rebuild mode.

Hate to say it, but Stafford and Leino aren't going anywhere anytime soon IMHO.

Exactly.

The Sabres do not need to worry about the cap floor.

Your right, they don't, because of Stafford and Leino type contracts. Yet, once again, I think both of you are way off base. No player is coming to the Sabres at 4 mil or more a season and more productive than Stafford or Leino, if they are more productive, there are other destinations that aren't in full rebuild mode to go to.

I think your both wrong, it will prove to be much more difficult than you think to replace those contracts to reach the cap floor if you move them.

Ennis and Foligno are UFA at the end of this season, IIRC.

Signing both will help with the floor situation. Foligno is coming off his EL contract and will be in line for a pretty big raise. Ennis is coming off a just shy of $3 million cap hit salary and will likely command more.

Then there is Ott to be resigned, if he isn't traded. Cody Mc and Moulson and Scott.

Signing both will help with the floor situation. Foligno is coming off his EL contract and will be in line for a pretty big raise. Ennis is coming off a just shy of $3 million cap hit salary and will likely command more.

Then there is Ott to be resigned, if he isn't traded. Cody Mc and Moulson and Scott.

Foligno will get a raise.

If Ennis keeps up his abysmal play he gets very little if any raise at all.

Ott and Moulson may be retained but that is hard to guess at.

Scott and McCormick should be no longer viable parts of this team. Scott wastes a roster spot no matter how fun he is. McCormick is a fringe AHL/NHL guy and I don't really care if he sticks around or not.

Great, name me a few that would be willing to come to Buffalo at 4 mil or more a season. I doubt you'll find many, and in my opinion, any for that matter with Buffalo going into full rebuild mode.

Hate to say it, but Stafford and Leino aren't going anywhere anytime soon IMHO.

Your right, they don't, because of Stafford and Leino type contracts. Yet, once again, I think both of you are way off base. No player is coming to the Sabres at 4 mil or more a season and more productive than Stafford or Leino, if they are more productive, there are other destinations that aren't in full rebuild mode to go to.

I think your both wrong, it will prove to be much more difficult than you think to replace those contracts to reach the cap floor if you move them.

First, there are plenty of FAs who won't find a $4MM chair when the music stops in July.

Second, there are plenty of overpriced guys under contract whose teams will want to be rid of them -- so the Sabres can pick them up in trade.

I agree that no one is going to trade for Stafford or Leino -- but that doesn't mean the Sabres couldn't buy out or waive either or both of them.

Ennis and Foligno are both RFA, not UFA.

Sabres could easily go the 2011 Florida route in the summer.

After gutting their team for picks at the deadline, Dale Tallon acquired Versteeg, Upshall, Fleischmann, Jovanovski, Theodore, Goc and Bergenheim and took on a big salary dump in Brian Campbell. Essentially, they overpaid a bunch of second- and third-raters to hold the fort until their kids made the jump.

Hasn't exactly worked out for them, but Freeman is right — opportunities will be there for Buffalo, or any team with lots of cap space.

Sabres could easily go the 2011 Florida route in the summer.

After gutting their team for picks at the deadline, Dale Tallon acquired Versteeg, Upshall, Fleischmann, Jovanovski, Theodore, Goc and Bergenheim and took on a big salary dump in Brian Campbell. Essentially, they overpaid a bunch of second- and third-raters to hold the fort until their kids made the jump.

Hasn't exactly worked out for them, but Freeman is right — opportunities will be there for Buffalo, or any team with lots of cap space.

This is true. However, how many of those players signed and how many came via trade?

First, there are plenty of FAs who won't find a $4MM chair when the music stops in July.

Second, there are plenty of overpriced guys under contract whose teams will want to be rid of them -- so the Sabres can pick them up in trade.

I agree that no one is going to trade for Stafford or Leino -- but that doesn't mean the Sabres couldn't buy out or waive either or both of them.

Ennis and Foligno are both RFA, not UFA.

Yes, it's possible, I'm merely of the opinion it's improbable is all nfreeman.

As for the UFA to RFA status, this is correct, but I'm hoping Moulson continues the chemistry with Hodge and Ennis and re-signs here as well. That should help off set the cap floor thoughts I had. I'm more concerned about 2 years out than next year. Especially considering the high draft pick were sure to get and the subsequent injection of more youth into the line up. I'm not opposed to it all, and I'm sure the cap floor is already being considered by DR, I'm just thinking out loud on just how he plans to do it is all.

This is true. However, how many of those players signed and how many came via trade?

I think you may be failing to appreciate a critical fact: if a FA has a choice between playing in Buffalo (or for any other terrible team) for $4MM or not playing in the NHL, 90%+ of the time that FA will take the $$ and play for the lousy team.

Yes, it's possible, I'm merely of the opinion it's improbable is all nfreeman.

As for the UFA to RFA status, this is correct, but I'm hoping Moulson continues the chemistry with Hodge and Ennis and re-signs here as well. That should help off set the cap floor thoughts I had. I'm more concerned about 2 years out than next year. Especially considering the high draft pick were sure to get and the subsequent injection of more youth into the line up. I'm not opposed to it all, and I'm sure the cap floor is already being considered by DR, I'm just thinking out loud on just how he plans to do it is all.

His "plan" is to draft as many 1st and 2nd round players as possible. They will install veteran players as they see fit or as they think are needed to guide those players along. So while we will continue to be the youngest team in the NHL, we will also continue to sign or trade for veteran players who can come in and teach the kids. These veterans players will be overpaid because quite frankly we will have to to get them here but at the same time it helps our cap floor. Couple that with kids coming off entry level deals this year, next year and specifically in 3 years and you have lots of ways to reach the cap floor.

For example: Steve Ott is currently on the team. Now it sounds like he wants out but lets say we offer him 5mil for 4yrs and Pittsburgh offers him 3.5mil for 3years. That is 20million versus 10.5million. That would make anyone pause for a moment.

I think you may be failing to appreciate a critical fact: if a FA has a choice between playing in Buffalo (or for any other terrible team) for $4MM or not playing in the NHL, 90%+ of the time that FA will take the $$ and play for the lousy team.

Also true, I do not deny this fact. I question it's merit however, given the youth on the team, would management really want to bring in players that are here merely for a pay check? Is it just me, or do others believe that is a bad example to be giving the youth of the team, especially when they see this and their 3rd contract comes up, or 2nd, depending on the talent level? I see all kinds of bad things happening if the team went that route contract wise.

His "plan" is to draft as many 1st and 2nd round players as possible. They will install veteran players as they see fit or as they think are needed to guide those players along. So while we will continue to be the youngest team in the NHL, we will also continue to sign or trade for veteran players who can come in and teach the kids. These veterans players will be overpaid because quite frankly we will have to to get them here but at the same time it helps our cap floor. Couple that with kids coming off entry level deals this year, next year and specifically in 3 years and you have lots of ways to reach the cap floor.

For example: Steve Ott is currently on the team. Now it sounds like he wants out but lets say we offer him 5mil for 4yrs and Pittsburgh offers him 3.5mil for 3years. That is 20million versus 10.5million. That would make anyone pause for a moment.

See above.

Also true, I do not deny this fact. I question it's merit however, given the youth on the team, would management really want to bring in players that are here merely for a pay check? Is it just me, or do others believe that is a bad example to be giving the youth of the team, especially when they see this and their 3rd contract comes up, or 2nd, depending on the talent level? I see all kinds of bad things happening if the team went that route contract wise.

Well, I agree that the attitude that a veteran brings is important. I think the Sabres will also view it as important, though, and will be careful about who they bring in -- and let's not forget that we're talking about a replacement for Stafford, so any vet with a reasonable work ethic and esprit de corps will be an improvement.

Unless something changed in the last 24 hours Ott has not indicated he wanted out. In fact WGR constantly replays an interview Steve had with Howard Simon where he states the exact opposite.

Ott is either the kind of guy that loves his situation no matter what it is, or he's smart enough to know that his job is to say positive things to the media. Or, he's loving playing in a hockey-town.

See above.

Panthers got a division title out of it.

And were a pube's length away from beating the EC champs in the first round.

Sorry, misread your post the first time. Yeah, that OT game was tough to stomach.

Remember who won a division in Tyler Myers' rookie year?

I edited my post because I totally misread his.

Yes I do, what does that have to do with sending a wrong message by signing a bunch of veteran UFA's?