Stafford needs to go

Eleven

As much as I would like to Stafford and Leino gone before next season, the Sabres might be in a position where they can't afford to let either of them go. They represent $8.5 mil of the Sabres salary cap next year. The Sabres are already projected to be $41 mil under the cap. Removing another $8.5 mil and the Sabres might have trouble hitting the cap floor.

Spend it on someone more worthy.

Yeah, and it hurts the team to have a supposed offensive player like Leino who is completely UN-productive on the ice, spending time on the ice. If there were a better player on the ice, subbing for his 13 minutes of ice time, who knows how last night's Leafs' game might have turned out? For cryin out loud, we're closing in on the half-way point of the season, and now even John Scott has scored more goals this year than Leino!

Edited by Jsixspd

As much as I would like to Stafford and Leino gone before next season, the Sabres might be in a position where they can't afford to let either of them go. They represent $8.5 mil of the Sabres salary cap next year. The Sabres are already projected to be $41 mil under the cap. Removing another $8.5 mil and the Sabres might have trouble hitting the cap floor.

I've been saying that for a while now, but i would cut Leino anyway no matter what, we can't have him on our team for another 3 yrs.

This. I wish that floor myth would go away and take Leino with it.

What about the cap floor is mythological? It does exist.

Spend Leino's money on Miller. Problem solved.

The tough part of signing "someone more worthy" is getting that "someone" to sign here. We may all like the changes since Regier/Roslton were shown the door, that doesn't instantly make the Sabres a free agent destination. There is a ton of work to be done, say like hire a GM. The Sabres are going to remain a tough sell to players until they can prove to the players/agents around the NHL that players can come here and succeed.

What about the cap floor is mythological? It does exist.

The tough part of signing "someone more worthy" is getting that "someone" to sign here. We may all like the changes since Regier/Roslton were shown the door, that doesn't instantly make the Sabres a free agent destination. There is a ton of work to be done, say like hire a GM. The Sabres are going to remain a tough sell to players until they can prove to the players/agents around the NHL that players can come here and succeed.

There seem to be a lot of people who want to see Moulson, Ott, and Miller here next year, and that's going to take some cash. Spend it on them instead.

Based on Capgeeks list.

So centers out there that I think the Sabres should go after are Statsny and Callahan. Statsny may be a tough sell as others have said, Callahan is an intriguing idea, especially with Nolan's coaching style.

Marleau is also a projected ufa as well as Ignla, but I can't see either coming to Buffalo. Not sure what to think of Cammelleri, Hemski or Gionta. Jokininen is up and down and Michalek when not injured is a tough guy with good hands who might be interesting

Jussi Jokininen and Derek Roy are there too. Interesting list: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

There seem to be a lot of people who want to see Moulson, Ott, and Miller here next year, and that's going to take some cash. Spend it on them instead.

Definitely Miller and Ott. Still not sure about Molson.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL, this thread just randomly pops up from time to time and I still get a chuckle out of the title......... :lol:

I caught the Sabres fire sale video in another thread,

buy one under-achiever (Stafford), get a second under-achiever (Leino) for free........

Man, this site does make my day.

Oh, and Stafford needs to stay, so we can hit the Cap floor next season. Which brings me to my next point, wouldn't you all throw ######-fits if we re-sign him after his contract is up to reach the Cap floor then :P

LOL, this thread just randomly pops up from time to time and I still get a chuckle out of the title......... :lol:

I caught the Sabres fire sale video in another thread,

buy one under-achiever (Stafford), get a second under-achiever (Leino) for free........

Man, this site does make my day.

Oh, and Stafford needs to stay, so we can hit the Cap floor next season. Which brings me to my next point, wouldn't you all throw ######-fits if we re-sign him after his contract is up to reach the Cap floor then :P

I'll end up doing time for something, in that event, that's for sure.

I want stafford to play out his deal sign a long term team friendly deal as a 3rd line scorer.

Ugh, no thanks. He needs to go. Before he signed his cash in deal I wanted him gone. He is such an underacheiving waste of roster space. Give me Brian Gionta on a two year deal. I would take 5 cents on the Canadian dollar to get him out of Buffalo. Great person, good locker room guy, completely inconsistent. He also lacks a consistent motor. He's 50/50 at best in and out each game.

Eleven, did you have any idea, 25 months ago, that you were creating such a sublime metaphor for all things Sabre when you created this post? We're stuck in mediocrity mud, trying to squirm out. Stafford must go, tank, suffer, rebuild, draft, trade, UFA, RFA, core, new core .... I'm not complaining - it just screams at me!

Edited by Neo

Ugh, no thanks. He needs to go. Before he signed his cash in deal I wanted him gone. He is such an underacheiving waste of roster space. Give me Brian Gionta on a two year deal. I would take 5 cents on the Canadian dollar to get him out of Buffalo. Great person, good locker room guy, completely inconsistent. He also lacks a consistent motor. He's 50/50 at best in and out each game.

Very well said! :thumbsup: