Stafford needs to go

Eleven

Stafford represents EVERYTHING that is wrong with this team. He gets outworked every game and not because he is smaller and less skilled, it's because he does not put in the effort. I'll take Gerbe on this roster a million times over instead of this gutless player.

I'm with you there.

Drew Stafford has officially outlasted Thomas Vanek. What a world.

Well no one wants Stafford and that 4mil that he's making. That being said Ennis and Vanek are there go to shooters in the shoot out. Good thing is this team won't get many shoot outs so they don't have to worry about using Stafford much. But hopefully Stafford gone by deadline.

Stafford had an unforgivable failure to clear the puck on the PK last night that led directly to Dallas' 2nd goal. The Sabres had killed off 60%+ of the 4-minute penalty on Ott, Stafford had possession in the corner with plenty of time and space to clear it, and he just put it up the boards to Dallas' point man (who made a nice play to keep it in, but still).

I'm glad RR has been benching him. There needs to be some accountability in this franchise. Waiving Stafford would be a start.

Stafford had an unforgivable failure to clear the puck on the PK last night that led directly to Dallas' 2nd goal. The Sabres had killed off 60%+ of the 4-minute penalty on Ott, Stafford had possession in the corner with plenty of time and space to clear it, and he just put it up the boards to Dallas' point man (who made a nice play to keep it in, but still).

I'm glad RR has been benching him. There needs to be some accountability in this franchise. Waiving Stafford would be a start.

Send him down.

The more I watch what Rolston is doing and how Darcy has been forced to respond, the more on board I am with the notion that Darcy fired Lindy to buy himself time. Clearly Lindy was trying to avoid doing this with his players so that it didn't hurt their value, but I don't think Darcy fully grasped it.

I wonder if Lindy didn't ask for a rebuild years ago? His body language changed a lot after 07-08. Like he knew he was working with players that weren't going to get it done.

The more I watch what Rolston is doing and how Darcy has been forced to respond, the more on board I am with the notion that Darcy fired Lindy to buy himself time. Clearly Lindy was trying to avoid doing this with his players so that it didn't hurt their value, but I don't think Darcy fully grasped it.

I wonder if Lindy didn't ask for a rebuild years ago? His body language changed a lot after 07-08. Like he knew he was working with players that weren't going to get it done.

Slowly he turns...

With just about everyone of note being shipped out I am convinced more than ever that there is no trade value for Stafford.

DR will have to throw in some of those second round picks he has accumulated just so some sap of a GM will take him off his hands.

Waiving him is the only realistic option at this point, IMHO.

When do we get to the point where he will be waived?

He seems to have no future with the team, there appears to be no trade market for him, and he is very close to being outside the team's top 23 NHL roster. His coach gave him a second chance after losing faith in him last year, but he failed to take advantage.

Should he be dressed ahead of Kaleta or Tropp? We're probably better off giving Adam or Armia his role.

It sucks that Darcy didn't reel in a second rounder when he had the chance, but there is a time you have to swallow your pride and cut your losses. I think it's here. When will Darcy agree?

Edited by dudacek

Unbelievable to me that this deadwood is still on the roster - I think it sends a terrible message to the locker room - that good players are sent packing, and poor players are retained, and not even benched.

Stafford being kept on the roster is a glaring example of "what did he do WRONG?" when it comes to Darcy Regier. Unfortunately, Terry Pegula only asked that question rhetorically - I don't believe he actually wants an answer or rebuttal. Terry Pegula has left no avenue of which I'm aware for anyone to respond. I interpret that to mean that he is not interested in hearing any feedback or information that runs contrary to his very frame outlook on the Sabres and Darcy Regier.

Edited by Jsixspd

The only place Stafford will get traded is to Edmonton, because of his family connections in Edmonton. The problem is, nobody is going to pay his salary. I'm afraid he needs to be waived. That's business.

He's taking up a spot from a kid who will bust his butt trying to make it in the bigs. Stafford just doesn't seem to have the mental drive to play this game any longer.

He'll never be waived. It makes no sense when they can just wait until the offseason, use a buyout, and have his cap hit completely removed. Some may say we could flirt with the cap floor with that and a few other moves, but I don't see that happening.

But can't they send him down (which involves waiving him) for the rest of the year and then buy him out? That would accomplish the "send the message" goal.

The only place Stafford will get traded is to Edmonton, because of his family connections in Edmonton. The problem is, nobody is going to pay his salary. I'm afraid he needs to be waived. That's business.

He's taking up a spot from a kid who will bust his butt trying to make it in the bigs. Stafford just doesn't seem to have the mental drive to play this game any longer.

I am pretty sure those "family" connections ended when his uncle was fired.

But can't they send him down (which involves waiving him) for the rest of the year and then buy him out? That would accomplish the "send the message" goal.

I believe sending him down would be the best message. His money still counts in Roc, no?

I agree with this. I will admit that I was a Lindy supporter, and would have much rather seen Darcy go before him.