Stafford needs to go

Eleven

for what it's worth, i understand the numerous comments knocking Drew given his inconsistent production. i will dare to posit that Stafford has been a changed person in regards to his outlook and demeanor since the purge took place in which Regier was fired in November. as several people have told me that there was a heavy burden on several players during Darcy's reign, no more did that weigh on Drew.

his demeanor has been night and day since the change, and i believe it reflects in his on-ice performance. he's finally beginning to play to his potential under Ted and Tim.

jw

for what it's worth, i understand the numerous comments knocking Drew given his inconsistent production. i will dare to posit that Stafford has been a changed person in regards to his outlook and demeanor since the purge took place in which Regier was fired in November. as several people have told me that there was a heavy burden on several players during Darcy's reign, no more did that weigh on Drew.

his demeanor has been night and day since the change, and i believe it reflects in his on-ice performance. he's finally beginning to play to his potential under Ted and Tim.

jw

Thanks John. Not every player thrives with a mantle of leadership wrapped around him.

I think Drew should probably accept, that if he's going to remain in the NHL once his contract is up, it's going to be as a 3rd liner/2nd liner-bubble guy, whose main asset needs to be to work in the corners, backchecking, and in front of the net - AND at a greatly reduced pricetag.

At this point, the only thing making Drew unmoveable is his contract.

Leino on the other hand. Leino is the key - To Reinhart, that is :w00t:

I think Drew should probably accept, that if he's going to remain in the NHL once his contract is up, it's going to be as a 3rd liner/2nd liner-bubble guy, whose main asset needs to be to work in the corners, backchecking, and in front of the net - AND at a greatly reduced pricetag.

At this point, the only thing making Drew unmoveable is his contract.

Leino on the other hand. Leino is the key - To Reinhart, that is :w00t:

Here or elsewhere, no way does Stafford's price tag get greatly reduced. We already have 3rd liners making $5M since the lockout, so Stafford can definitely get a taker for $4M.

Here or elsewhere, no way does Stafford's price tag get greatly reduced. We already have 3rd liners making $5M since the lockout, so Stafford can definitely get a taker for $4M.

I will call NFW on this. No one will give him a contract at that number.

I will call NFW on this. No one will give him a contract at that number.

Time will tell, but Ryane Clowe got almost $5M and David Clarkson got more than $5M (and allegedly could have gotten even more outside of Toronto). And that was with the cap artificially going down to $64MM...when Stafford signs his next deal the cap could be in the $75MM range. Stafford getting $4M is very much in the realm of possibility.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

jw

Hi John,

How have you been?

I was leading the cheer when 11 started this thread, but now I really think that Stafford has a role to play on this team.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Hi John,

How have you been?

I was leading the cheer when 11 started this thread, but now I really think that Stafford has a role to play on this team.

I don't think he needs to be bought out ASAP like Leino does, and I wouldn't be outraged if he were back next year, but I wouldn't mind unloading him at the deadline either. I've seen enough.

Ted did mention in last night's post-game presser that he considers Drew one of the leaders of the team. :P

I think he's simply lamenting the widespread loss of veterans that he foresees with the trade deadline. He loves him some vets.