GDT: 10/4/11 Sabres at Adler 1:30PM

spndnchz

we've kicked around the subject of european atmosphere in the past on this board.

http://forums.sabres...post__p__191319

and because the video link in my post on the above thread has been disaabled by UEFA, i include a new link herewith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4g7gB1SLI

gets me every time.

i don't think that we can ever expect to have an event in the u.s. or canada have similar atmosphere. now, mind you, stadiums and arenas here have great atmosphere -- but the singing, chanting, and such -- not going to happen here, i don't think.

This is a very big part of why I love European football ... the atmosphere.

The only thing close is a Toronto FC match at BMO Field and only because there are so many European imigrants living in Toronto and they all love their football.

The reason you don't see it is because the fan bases aren't accustomed to it and it's not welcome. If you to tried to get a group of people to stand at the F'N Center for a whole game everyone that didn't want to be there would b*tch and moan. This kind of atmosphere does exist, especially in MLS. The Timbers Army is a great example of what can happen when people get organized and are allowed to have fun.

Here's U of M having fun:

The problem is, Chet and Muffy are fun suckers.

The reason you don't see it is because the fan bases aren't accustomed to it and it's not welcome. If you to tried to get a group of people to stand at the F'N Center for a whole game everyone that didn't want to be there would b*tch and moan. This kind of atmosphere does exist, especially in MLS. The Timbers Army is a great example of what can happen when people get organized and are allowed to have fun.

The problem is, Chet and Muffy are fun suckers.

as was also discussed in the thread that PA started (i think) -- the issue that many of us have with efforts in the U.S./Canada to create an atmosphere that is similar to what you may find in europe (including UK and ireland) is that the efforts feel forced, manufactured, somehow less than "organic."

i think it was pipes that related his unpleasant experience sitting near the "fun crew" (or whatever they're called) at a predators (?) game.

the chanting and singing that goes on in europe emerges from something that is ingrained in their cultural dna. when we try to replicate that experience here, it's just not the same. nothing wrong with that, mind you.

hi pals i am back from the game.

This was just an awesome evening, great hockey in a great atmosphere.

Sure it was not full contact hockey, but i still loved it.

Best line for me: Ennis, Leino, Boyes. I think i like Boyes on this line more than Stafford.

Ennis rocked the house! It is so awesome to see his skill in reality.

Second best line Vanek Adam and Pominville. Really good on PP, I liked the chemistry.

Gerbe Roy Stafford was the worst line. They had no chemistry together and i didn't like Roy very much today.

Our grinder line did what they are payed for. But i realized Gaustad will never be a third line center, His skating skills are really weak.

He looks like a giraffe for me.

Alltogether i had the feeling that we didn't won the majority of the faceoffs, but i can be wrong on this.

Defense: Regehr is in a friendly not so fearsome, i liked Myers very much and the goal of Ehrhoff was a killer.

I thought i saw some defensive weakness on Ehrhoffs side, but he was not the only one. The Adler got many good chances, thanks to Enroth they didn't scored on too many.

But this will improve in the normal full contact mode.

What is left to say. Yeah Jochen Hecht was chanted several times before and after the game. I hope he will come back to Mannheim next season, for Buffalo he won't be good enough, and we need the money for Ennis. All of it.

Maybe some of you know René Corbet. He won the Stanley cup with Colorado. He played for Mannheim from 2001 to 2010, won several championships with them and is a superstar here too. Tonight his number was retired.

Last fun fact: I never believed that the hardcore Adler fan block would cheer : Lets go Buffalo several minutes after the game. Yeah i cheered too, but i wore an 1995 Hasek jersey. This was awesome!!!

Ok, i think you believe me that i had a great night.

I love this game and i love this team, unfortunately i live on the wrong continent.

This is a very big part of why I love European football ... the atmosphere.

The only thing close is a Toronto FC match at BMO Field and only because there are so many European imigrants living in Toronto and they all love their football.

You should see the Red Bull fans in Newark,.. yes, I said Newark, NJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03kTueU2Q0&feature=related

They do this before every game. They have since been told to not use the flares. A friend of mine has season ticket and has been trying to get me to go. Looks awesome.

I love this game and i love this team, unfortunately i live on the wrong continent.

great post - thanks.

You should see the Red Bull fans in Newark,.. yes, I said Newark, NJ.

They do this before every game. They have since been told to not use the flares. A friend of mine has season ticket and has been trying to get me to go. Looks awesome.

that sorta goes to the point below, i think.

the issue that many of us have with efforts in the U.S./Canada to create an atmosphere that is similar to what you may find in europe (including UK and ireland) is that the efforts feel forced, manufactured, somehow less than "organic."

Best line for me: Ennis, Leino, Boyes. I think i like Boyes on this line more than Stafford.

Second best line Vanek Adam and Pominville. Really good on PP, I liked the chemistry.

Gerbe Roy Stafford was the worst line. They had no chemistry together and i didn't like Roy very much today.

Our grinder line did what they are payed for. But i realized Gaustad will never be a third line center, His skating skills are really weak.

Alltogether i had the feeling that we didn't won the majority of the faceoffs, but i can be wrong on this.

Defense: Regehr is in a friendly not so fearsome, i liked Myers very much and the goal of Ehrhoff was a killer.

I thought i saw some defensive weakness on Ehrhoffs side, but he was not the only one. The Adler got many good chances, thanks to Enroth they didn't scored on too many.

What is left to say. Yeah Jochen Hecht was chanted several times before and after the game. I hope he will come back to Mannheim next season, for Buffalo he won't be good enough, and we need the money for Ennis. All of it.

Maybe some of you know René Corbet. He won the Stanley cup with Colorado. He played for the Sabres from 2001 to 2010, won several championships with them and is a superstar here too. Tonight his number was retired.

Last fun fact: I never believed that the hardcore Adler fan block would cheer : Lets go Buffalo several minutes after the game. Yeah i cheered too, but i wore an 1995 Hasek jersey. This was awesome!!!

one word....Slingbox....you ust have someone here that would put one on a second or third tv for you so you can watch the sabres games. I did it when i was in Sweden.

Ducks had to go to OT to beat Jokerit Helsinki 5-4. The Kings had to come from behind to beat the Hamburg Freezers 5-4.

PTR

Jokerit isn't exactly a pushover. They're one of the hottest teams in the SM-liiga.

Maybe some of you know René Corbet. He won the Stanley cup with Colorado. He played for the Sabres from 2001 to 2010, won several championships with them and is a superstar here too. Tonight his number was retired.

These two are awesome. Thanks for the update!

Again, SO awesome that you got to go, and thanks for the report.

I have this weird feeling about Roy's future if things continue as is... just a gut thing but Adam and Vanek seems to be working well and maybe Vanek only steps up when he is literally forced. With Roy on his line he doesn't have to lead so he doesn't. With Adam he must and it produces great things.

I have this weird feeling about Roy's future if things continue as is... just a gut thing but Adam and Vanek seems to be working well and maybe Vanek only steps up when he is literally forced. With Roy on his line he doesn't have to lead so he doesn't. With Adam he must and it produces great things.

Or, maybe Roy isn't the center that Gerbe is...

we've kicked around the subject of european atmosphere in the past on this board.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/16691-ot-live-sporting-event-bucket-list/page__view__findpost__p__191319

and because the video link in my post on the above thread has been disaabled by UEFA, i include a new link herewith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4g7gB1SLI

gets me every time.

i don't think that we can ever expect to have an event in the u.s. or canada have similar atmosphere. now, mind you, stadiums and arenas here have great atmosphere -- but the singing, chanting, and such -- not going to happen here, i don't think.

Out of interest why wouldn't it? Sure you wouldn't want the classic 'your going home in a f***ing ambulance' chant? Footy fans can be quite creative sometimes with their chants sometimes.

Out of interest why wouldn't it? Sure you wouldn't want the classic 'your going home in a f***ing ambulance' chant? Footy fans can be quite creative sometimes with their chants sometimes.

you may have misunderstood me. my point is that i love the atmosphere in the euro leagues (soccer and hockey, specifically), but that i don't think the u.s. and canada can create the same sort of atmosphere (for the reasons below (the bolded piece specifically)).

as was also discussed in the thread that PA started (i think) -- the issue that many of us have with efforts in the U.S./Canada to create an atmosphere that is similar to what you may find in europe (including UK and ireland) is that the efforts feel forced, manufactured, somehow less than "organic."

i think it was pipes that related his unpleasant experience sitting near the "fun crew" (or whatever they're called) at a predators (?) game.

the chanting and singing that goes on in europe emerges from something that is ingrained in their cultural dna. when we try to replicate that experience here, it's just not the same. nothing wrong with that, mind you.

This video is awesome. I saw it the first time yesterday and it was breathtaking.

The Sabres team was already on the ice when they played the video (very loud) and finally the Mannheim team stormed on the ice.

I think our players were impressed by this video.

This ( a similar one) would be a great intro for the playoffs for Buffalo too.

Or, maybe Roy isn't the center that Gerbe is...

I hate to say this but you werent here for that whole conversation so your not allowed to make jokes about it... its like that guy who hears the end of joke then laughs with everyone else... its not cool and you look dumb...

Also Brad Boyes can still play center...

Archived