2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Taro T

When I saw the hit I immediately thought it should be a penalty. But then I looked at it again and the puck was right there, so how can it be?

I think the feeling I got was because I've never seen such a play, that it should be a penalty but with the puck in his feet it couldn't be.

I'm off two minds on it, but like you said, if a goalie is untouchable then he shouldn't be able to do that either.

I feel the rule should be made clear that if you can't hit a goalie with a body check, then he shouldn't be able to lay you out either, therefore it should be a 2 min minor. His job is goalie, stop the puck. Not goalie, body check other team's player. That is the job of a skater. I don't think there is a rule for it, but it should be. Otherwise, goalies out of their crease should be fair game too.

That's it exactly - Thomas should only be playing the puck if goaltenders are afforded special care. It would have been great if Sedin got a little bit of his stick on that puck to direct it into the big empty net that Thomas wasn't even trying to protect.

Since when does extent of injury play a role in determining whether or how long to suspend?

seriously. it always seemed to factor in unofficially -- but i've never seen it acknowledged expressly.

Is Horton the same caliber as Vanek?

so now we're looking at both severity of injury (as perceived in the in-game situation (compare: sidney crosby)) and who it was that was injured?

sounds about right.

so I just heard about the suspension. Here's my question.

If it's game 3 and Chara does that same hit, is he suspended for the remainder of the Finals?

I think we all know the answer to that question and that is why this league comes off as bush in so many instances.

Rome = who's he? Gone 4 games. Chara = star player.......

And on another note. It was chippy and stuff last night and some guys were dropping too easy, I get that. But how can the potential MVP of the NHL get a 10 min misconduct for after the whistle stuff? Come on. Fans want to see the stars play. The refs have to stop being the show. Call goal scoring opportunities taken away, penalties. Call dirty hits. Call 2 hand slashes, but quit making stuff up out there. Let them play.

so I just heard about the suspension. Here's my question.

If it's game 3 and Chara does that same hit, is he suspended for the remainder of the Finals?

I think we all know the answer to that question and that is why this league comes off as bush in so many instances.

Rome = who's he? Gone 4 games. Chara = star player.......

And on another note. It was chippy and stuff last night and some guys were dropping too easy, I get that. But how can the potential MVP of the NHL get a 10 min misconduct for after the whistle stuff? Come on. Fans want to see the stars play. The refs have to stop being the show. Call goal scoring opportunities taken away, penalties. Call dirty hits. Call 2 hand slashes, but quit making stuff up out there. Let them play.

That 3rd period stuff needed to calm the f down. The ref's didn't want to lose the game. You could tell it was getting pretty chippy out there with that kinda lead. Putting Sedin away for a while wasn't going to change the score. He did mug him after all.

IMO the league is changing over the last years. This clip from 02-03 shows no penalty or suspension. Same type of hit.

FF to 1:12 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiDJ1y7cGIw

seriously. it always seemed to factor in unofficially -- but i've never seen it acknowledged expressly.

so now we're looking at both severity of injury (as perceived in the in-game situation (compare: sidney crosby)) and who it was that was injured?

sounds about right.

The poster I was responding to was talking about karma... not the NHL's flippant handling of penalties. As Dwight showed, Vanek and Horton are obviously not of the same caliber. So to call this karma seems kind of inaccurate as they would have needed to have taken out a more valuable Sabres player for that to be an 'even' karmic act.

Is Colly still running things for now? When does Shanahan take over?

Murphy, I see, so no Shanny yet. Since when does extent of injury play a role in determining whether or how long to suspend?

Murphy also said that the next person who starts "finger waving" will get two minutes an a 10 min misconduct.

Murphy also said that the next person who starts "finger waving" will get two minutes an a 10 min misconduct.

I thought that was hysterical! If they can't make finger biting jokes what are they going to do in those scrums - talk about his mother?

I hope we see this happen. This series has been fun to watch .. in between all these silly finger-biting, hand-in-mouth, hand-waving, 'get under your skin' silly situations. I get the point. Agitation works sometimes. I wouldn't mind seeing some of this crap cut short though to get to some more actual hockey.

I thought that was hysterical! If they can't make finger biting jokes what are they going to do in those scrums - talk about his mother?

He was. When Lucic's fingers were in his face he said "Smells like your Ma".

BaDumChi

The big thing I don't like about this suspension is that it wouldn't have been 4 games during the season. It's bush league to change the interpretation of the rules and how punishment is metered out this late into the game.

Then again, it's not the 1st time they've changed a rule interpretation for the playoffs. :thumbdown:

The poster I was responding to was talking about karma... not the NHL's flippant handling of penalties. As Dwight showed, Vanek and Horton are obviously not of the same caliber. So to call this karma seems kind of inaccurate as they would have needed to have taken out a more valuable Sabres player for that to be an 'even' karmic act.

Except to the chunk of folks on this list that would trade Vanek in a heart beat. (Not me.)

No...

Horton has 17 points in 21 career playoff games

Vanek has 20 points in 36 games

Not to mention, the Bruins didn't have much momentum in this series. The Sabres were up a game and flying in period 1 of Game 2 (already with a 1-0 lead), then Boychuck hacked Vanek and turned things around.

No...

Horton has 17 points in 21 career playoff games

Vanek has 20 points in 36 games

or you could say Vanek is a goal scorer having 15 out of those 20 points being goals. Last season we needed goal scorers and having Vanek out was a pretty big blow.

The big thing I don't like about this suspension is that it wouldn't have been 4 games during the season. It's bush league to change the interpretation of the rules and how punishment is metered out this late into the game.

Then again, it's not the 1st time they've changed a rule interpretation for the playoffs. :thumbdown:

Well, I know that Campbell is "completely" out of the discipline racket, but I can't help but notice that the player that is being told by the league to sit hit a player on Colie's kid's team.

Unfortunately, I see that as a bigger factor than the 'people have heard of Horton, who the ###### is Rome? Is he any relation to the skinny ESPN guy w/ the goatee that nearly had "Chrissy" Everett kill him?' factor.

Hopefully discipline will be more consistent next year under Shanny. It can't be any worse than what we currently have.

And one other point as to your last point. "There is a difference in the playoffs than during the regular season ..." - Colin Campbell :censored: But this is the 1st time I've ever seen the playoffs disciplined more harshly than the regular season. So I guess that's progress. :unsure:

I think this suspension sucks.

Eventually, we are going to get to a point where there will be a line 6 feet from the boards, a complete oval except for the trapezoids (because those are known hitting areas) where no hitting will be allowed.

The big thing I don't like about this suspension is that it wouldn't have been 4 games during the season. It's bush league to change the interpretation of the rules and how punishment is metered out this late into the game.o

4 games is absolute crap, I thought the game misconduct was overkill, im getting very sick of the nhls "policies" recently. They need to get their heads out of their arses. I think there's more behind the scenes going on than we know

So Chara can break a guy's neck for free but this nets four playoff games for Rome?

I'm confused.

4 games is total horse****. Especially when they have the balls to say that part of the reasoning is because the hit caused a severe injury. Apparently a broken neck is just a flesh wound in the NHL. Chara never would have been suspended for that same hit. They would come up with some crap like Chara is so tall that he can't avoid hitting someone in the head.

I think part of the severity of Rome's suspension comes from every announcer complaining that Burrows should not have been playing in game two, so now they have to make up for that somehow. Vancouver got screwed in this deal. Apparently they didn't get the faxed memo in time for the puck drop that said any borderline hits from here on out will be dealt with more severe consequences (this new rule does exclude Zdeno Chara albeit). Sincerely, Colin Campbell oops, Brendan Shanahan.

Vancouver didn't get screwed. Rome delivered a very late, illegal hit and got nailed for it. I didn't expect 4 games, but I won't say that's unfair.

I think this suspension sucks.

Eventually, we are going to get to a point where there will be a line 6 feet from the boards, a complete oval except for the trapezoids (because those are known hitting areas) where no hitting will be allowed.

Tell me how a late center ice hit would have anything to do with putting a 6-foot "no hit" line around the boards?

Archived