2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Taro T

Yes.

Let me elaborate. They've got three good centers, a couple wingers in their top 6 with size, grit, toughness, and skill, a top shelf shutdown defenseman, a couple clutch scorers in their top 6, and a goaltending tandem second to none in the league.

We have 1 good center, no wingers in the top 6 that play with any grit, a defense that is a couple years away from showing their true level, no clutch scorers in the playoffs, and a starting goalie that is a half notch behind theirs.

They are a bit better in every position.

Like The Menace said, we were 4-1-1 against them.

They had three more wins.

They scored one more goal. We allowed 34 more

Our PP was 9th, theirs was 20th

Our PK was 13th, theirs was 16th

Our goalie won the Vezina last year. Theirs will win it this year.

Their leading scorer had 30 goals and 62 points. Ours had 32 goals and 73 points.

They had four 20 goal scorers. We had four 20 goal scorers

They were one OT goal from being knocked out in the first round.

We were one OT goal from winning the first round

We need to get better. But cup winners don't have to be great anymore, just good enough at the right time.

We are not that far away.

Let me elaborate. They've got three good centers, a couple wingers in their top 6 with size, grit, toughness, and skill, a top shelf shutdown defenseman, a couple clutch scorers in their top 6, and a goaltending tandem second to none in the league.

We have 1 good center, no wingers in the top 6 that play with any grit, a defense that is a couple years away from showing their true level, no clutch scorers in the playoffs, and a starting goalie that is a half notch behind theirs.

They are a bit better in every position.

One thing - Buffalo is faster. Boston is pretty slow.

Boston is a team built for crap ice. Nothing has neutralized Vancouver's speed and passing game like that sludge they are playing on in Beantown.

They are better when it counts. Thats all that matters. I called them to make the finals. I never believed for a minute that Buffalo would make the finals.

That is why I mentioned clutch scoring as a plus for them and lacking for us. Boston has a number of players that just know how to get it done. We don't. Boston was a favorite in the East of many prognosticators. Noone seriously suggested Buffalo.

Like I said, we are about 3 of the right players away.

Based on this year's rosters

Miller vs Thomas — pick 'em

Rask is better than Enroth

Chara is better than Myers, for now

Kaberle = Leopold

Ference Boychuk Siedenberg McQuaid are tougher to play against than Sekera Butler Weber Monty, but it's nothing we can't close with one solid acquisition.

Vanek > Lucic

Stafford = Horton

Pominville > Recchi

Kaleta < Marchand

Ennis > Ryder

Boyes = Peverley

Hecht = Kelly

Gerbe > Paille

Our wingers are better

Their centres are clearly better, but it's not like they have a franchise guy.

Upgrade Connolly and Monty with guys that have some grit and we are there.

Upgrade Connolly, Hecht (as a center) and Monty with guys that have some grit and we are there.

I'd happily quibble about some of your matchups but it doesn't really matter to the point overall. You can make all kinds of one-on-one matchups with other teams still not playing and make it look like several of them are "real close" when they likely aren't. Our forwards have different attributes than theirs. Ours look real nice in the stat category on March 31. Theirs are getting it done when ours couldn't against backup quality goaltending.

Like I said, we are about 3 players away. Pretty significant in my book when we are talking about a top center, a number 2 quality center, and a top 2 defenseman.

I'd happily quibble about some of your matchups but it doesn't really matter to the point overall. You can make all kinds of one-on-one matchups with other teams still not playing and make it look like several of them are "real close" when they likely aren't. Our forwards have different attributes than theirs. Ours look real nice in the stat category on March 31. Theirs are getting it done when ours couldn't against backup quality goaltending.

Like I said, we are about 3 players away. Pretty significant in my book when we are talking about a top center, a number 2 quality center, and a top 2 defenseman.

Can't argue with where they are, or that they have more grit.

But if Montreal scores in OT of game seven and your argument gets pretty thin.

And your argument is *at least* equally thin when you base it on an "if". ;)

Boston outplayed Vancouver in Game 1, IMO. I didn't see Game 2. Vancouver is in trouble. And we're all in danger of smugness emanating from the general direction of Massachusetts Bay.

It's funny how many people are attempting to pass themselves of as longtime hockey fans around here right now. And you know, for all the complaining (speaking of complaining...) I've done over the years about Jack Edwards, I finally get it. He's just giving the fans exactly what they want, the vilification of every single aspect of the opposing team.

But they didn't.

And the Blackhawks couldn't get that 1 additional goal and the 'Nucks staved off the epic collapse.

And Butler couldn't keep from grabbing the Phlyer and Filly scored on the pp and again in OT.

And, and, and ...

Not sure where I'm going w/ this. Just that the Sabres aren't in the Bruins class at present, but 2-4 moves and they are.

It's funny how many people are attempting to pass themselves of as longtime hockey fans around here right now. And you know, for all the complaining (speaking of complaining...) I've done over the years about Jack Edwards, I finally get it. He's just giving the fans exactly what they want, the vilification of every single aspect of the opposing team.

I hate the Bruins.....he's so over the top that it's embarrassing for anyone in hockey.

I'm waiting for him to get replaced by Gorilla Monsoon someday.

But they didn't.

And the Blackhawks couldn't get that 1 additional goal and the 'Nucks staved off the epic collapse.

And Butler couldn't keep from grabbing the Phlyer and Filly scored on the pp and again in OT.

And, and, and ...

Not sure where I'm going w/ this. Just that the Sabres aren't in the Bruins class at present, but 2-4 moves and they are.

Thanks to this one, all I can think now is "if James Patrick hadn't hit that post..." :wallbash:

I hate the Bruins.....he's so over the top that it's embarrassing for anyone in hockey.

I'm waiting for him to get replaced by Gorilla Monsoon someday.

Gorilla and the Brain calling a hockey game would be brilliant. Then again, those two could have entertained why calling a 5 hour paint drying session.

I'd hate to be living there right now. At least in Chicago, they admit to being fair-weather hockey fans.

I'd hate to be living there right now. At least in Chicago, they admit to being fair-weather hockey fans.

WWW really did an excellent job of breaking that fanbase. :(

His kid appears to be doing a good job of building it back up.

I feel for you man, it sucked around here in 2006 with all the caniacs coming out of the woodwork, many never to be heard from again. I really hope you don't have to deal with a cup parade in Boston this year.

I feel for you man, it sucked around here in 2006 with all the caniacs coming out of the woodwork, many never to be heard from again. I really hope you don't have to deal with a cup parade in Boston this year.

I've seen too many parades already. This city's long run of luck started the second I moved out here. It makes me wonder why my magical touch never helped Buffalo at all. Hell, I visited my brother in San Antonio one year and then they promptly won an NBA title. Will it work if I move back to Buffalo?

I've seen too many parades already. This city's long run of luck started the second I moved out here. It makes me wonder why my magical touch never helped Buffalo at all. Hell, I visited my brother in San Antonio one year and then they promptly won an NBA title. Will it work if I move back to Buffalo?

It's a risk I'm willing for you to take

And yet people have been saying how they don't like the dirty things Vancouver does? Boston is a much dirtier team IMO.

They are both dirty but the Canucks tend to be more sneaky dirty while the Bruins are blatant dirty. When the Canucks go blatant we see 4 game suspensions while the Bruins just go humming along doing what they want.

They are both dirty but the Canucks tend to be more sneaky dirty while the Bruins are blatant dirty. When the Canucks go blatant we see 4 game suspensions while the Bruins just go humming along doing what they want.

But if you ask the Bruin fan, every single player on the team is a saint. It's a really strange mentality around here. They still manage to complain about the Yankees spending so much money.

Archived