2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Taro T

...you can clearly see that he intended to hit Horton high and he knew the puck was gone. At least Brian Campbell started at RJ Umberger while he still had the puck....

From the way I saw it, Rome was starting towards Horton while Horton still had the puck, so I see it as pretty much the same as the Umberger hit, only a fraction of a second late. Furthermore, I think the Umberger hit is a good comparo because in both those hits there wasn't body contact with the head, it was the head hitting the ice that caused the injury.

From the way I saw it, Rome was starting towards Horton while Horton still had the puck, so I see it as pretty much the same as the Umberger hit, only a fraction of a second late. Furthermore, I think the Umberger hit is a good comparo because in both those hits there wasn't body contact with the head, it was the head hitting the ice that caused the injury.

Def hit the head with his shoulder, plus head hitting the ice. @ 30 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyn6zdXRYno

IMO, 5 and a game is enough. Horton has to realize he's gonna get hit in that area of the ice.

I actually thought Thomas' hit should have been interference. The Canuck (Kessler?) didn't have possession of the puck and Thomas got in his way. But it was clearly a sign that the Bruins came into the game to hit and hit hard. Rome's shot on Horton just exacerbated the attitude.

If goalies are going to complain whenever they are touched then they sure should be getting called for plays like Thomas did.

IMO, 5 and a game is enough. Horton has to realize he's gonna get hit in that area of the ice.

I agree that the call was correct for the late hit. If this was during the regular season then I think that would be it. But I'm guessing now he also gets a game suspension.

I agree that the call was correct for the late hit. If this was during the regular season then I think that would be it. But I'm guessing now he also gets a game suspension.

Honestly, I'm torn over the hit. On one hand, I think the biggest problem was his head banging the ice, not the shoulder up high, but at the same time, the hit seemed a tad late (all the slow-mo replays helped make it look worse). 5 and a game seemed good, and the only reason I'd like to see him suspended is so that Chris Tanev gets into the lineup... :ph34r:

I'm glad to hear Julien say what he did - that's exactly what to tell your team. That said, it's obvious they don't listen to him. The Bruins need to let the finger-biting thing go. They're either going to get a taunting penalty or one of those digits bit clean off.

As for Rome's hit, it was late. Too late. Time it all you want, but even a half-second is a lifetime out there. He also led with his shoulder right into Horton's chin. I really can't blame Horton for looking - that happens all the time and is precisely what Drury was doing when Neil cold-cocked him. To me, it's the exact same situation. This one gets more attention because it's the finals and not a game in March. Rome should be suspended - you can clearly see that he intended to hit Horton high and he knew the puck was gone. At least Brian Campbell started at RJ Umberger while he still had the puck.

I actually thought Thomas' hit should have been interference. The Canuck (Kessler?) didn't have possession of the puck and Thomas got in his way. But it was clearly a sign that the Bruins came into the game to hit and hit hard. Rome's shot on Horton just exacerbated the attitude.

Lost in all this is that we have a series now. I don't want the Bruins to win, either, but I didn't want a sweep. This is exciting now.

I actually thought the Thomas hit was great. A hockey play. He was simply separating Sedin from the puck. It was actually a gutsy play because Sedin did have control of the puck and could have put it past him until he was 'separated' from the puck. The amount these goalies have been literally run over in their crease this playoff season is well beyond the norm and they've let it go and Thomas makes a ( imo ) good clean hit to one guy and people want a penalty. I'm not sure but is there a rule that states a goalie can't make contact?

OK, I guess there was head contact. I didn't see it with any of the other vids I saw of the hit. That makes it more grey in my mind. I still don't think it was late enough for Rome to change his mind before impact, but it was high enough to make head contact. I could see the league justifying an extra game.

Bruins: Horton out the rest of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a severe concussion.

I find it interesting that all season long, and into the postseason, teams go to great lengths to hide injuries. And now Boston releases an injury report labeled "severe concussion". I'm sure it is a lobby effort for a more severe suspension. Not that I blame them for trying it.

Hope Horton recovers OK. The sport doesn't need to lose another entertaining player to a head injury. Or any other player for that matter.

I find it interesting that all season long, and into the postseason, teams go to great lengths to hide injuries. And now Boston releases an injury report labeled "severe concussion". I'm sure it is a lobby effort for a more severe suspension. Not that I blame them for trying it.

Hope Horton recovers OK. The sport doesn't need to lose another entertaining player to a head injury. Or any other player for that matter.

Teams only hide injuries if they know the person will be back playing. They know he won't be back so what's it matter.

Interesting it is announced before the 11 AM hearing.

In regards to the Rome hit, I've changed my stance and don't think he should be suspended. He will be but I don't think he should.

Horton breaks cardinal rule #1, don't watch your pass in the middle of the ice. There were dozens of hits that occurred later than the Rome hit.

Rome is a stand up guy, not dirty at all. He was late and it was interference but what about all the other plays that are "just finishing the check plays?"

He's gone, but the Canucks didn't have their top 6 defense play together until game 81 this year, so they'll be fine.

I'd dress 7 dmen though and run one on the 4th line wing here and there.

If goalies are going to complain whenever they are touched then they sure should be getting called for plays like Thomas did.

When I saw the hit I immediately thought it should be a penalty. But then I looked at it again and the puck was right there, so how can it be?

I think the feeling I got was because I've never seen such a play, that it should be a penalty but with the puck in his feet it couldn't be.

I'm off two minds on it, but like you said, if a goalie is untouchable then he shouldn't be able to do that either.

I feel the rule should be made clear that if you can't hit a goalie with a body check, then he shouldn't be able to lay you out either, therefore it should be a 2 min minor. His job is goalie, stop the puck. Not goalie, body check other team's player. That is the job of a skater. I don't think there is a rule for it, but it should be. Otherwise, goalies out of their crease should be fair game too.

When I saw the hit I immediately thought it should be a penalty. But then I looked at it again and the puck was right there, so how can it be?

I think the feeling I got was because I've never seen such a play, that it should be a penalty but with the puck in his feet it couldn't be.

I'm off two minds on it, but like you said, if a goalie is untouchable then he shouldn't be able to do that either.

I feel the rule should be made clear that if you can't hit a goalie with a body check, then he shouldn't be able to lay you out either, therefore it should be a 2 min minor. His job is goalie, stop the puck. Not goalie, body check other team's player. That is the job of a skater. I don't think there is a rule for it, but it should be. Otherwise, goalies out of their crease should be fair game too.

Which would be my preferred solution but we all know that one isn't ever going to happen.

Which would be my preferred solution but we all know that one isn't ever going to happen.

Me too.

Curious, did you get the same feeling when you saw the play? That that's a penalty? And then re-analyze it after?

Me too.

Curious, did you get the same feeling when you saw the play? That that's a penalty? And then re-analyze it after?

I've only seen the play once so far (on replay). It looked like a penalty when I saw it, but really wasn't sure where the puck was the one time I watched. Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to check the play again. If so, I'll get back to you.

I actually thought the Thomas hit was great. A hockey play. He was simply separating Sedin from the puck. It was actually a gutsy play because Sedin did have control of the puck and could have put it past him until he was 'separated' from the puck. The amount these goalies have been literally run over in their crease this playoff season is well beyond the norm and they've let it go and Thomas makes a ( imo ) good clean hit to one guy and people want a penalty. I'm not sure but is there a rule that states a goalie can't make contact?

From that point of view, it makes sense. I still think it's a penalty because I don't remember Sedin having control of the puck, but I did like how Thomas initiated the hit...risky/gutsy play, though. Any Canuck will probably think twice about running him now.

From that point of view, it makes sense. I still think it's a penalty because I don't remember Sedin having control of the puck, but I did like how Thomas initiated the hit...risky/gutsy play, though. Any Canuck will probably think twice about running him now.

Sedin grabbed the puck with his hand, while he's placing it back on the ice Thomas hits him. Nice play by Thomas.

NHL:

“Two factors were considered in reaching this decision,” said NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. “The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury.”

Suspension would carry over if 4 games aren't played this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyn6zdXRYno

Didn't see it live, and this is the only video I have seen. Puck was gone before the video starts, Horton takes two steps and gets blasted. It is late, comes from the blind side, and specifically targets the head. I'm surprised he only got 4. This is textbook suspension.

Is Colly still running things for now? When does Shanahan take over?

NHL:

“Two factors were considered in reaching this decision,” said NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. “The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury.”

Suspension would carry over if 4 games aren't played this year.

Murphy, I see, so no Shanny yet. Since when does extent of injury play a role in determining whether or how long to suspend?

Archived