2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Taro T

I have no idea...but when people show up with masks, goggles, balaclavas, and knapsacks, it is probably safe to assume that they didn't come out of a hockey game and they at least had a rudimentary plan.

And the 300 dollar canuck jerseys. If you're wearing canuck apparel you're supporting the team. I couldn't help but notice how many loony toons were wearing canuck gear. If you believe what Gillis is saying ,these people weren't fans? I realize that there was a core group that were simply there to stir it up and about 90% just got caught up in the excitement of the moment and...yeah right. Regardless if they were part of the core group of troublemakers or not, they are idiots one and all.

• 4 weeks later...

Rick I'm not arguing all your points and I'm certainly not insulting you ( sorry if it came across that way but I've heard it said by more Vancouverites than you in the media today and this post was aimed at all of those in general not you specifically )but there's no way you can possibly back up the statement that these people were not from Vancouver. Why even make the statement? Just by looking at these thousands of people running around wrecking the place you can tell they're not local. How? By their ethnicity? the way they dress? By their hairstyles? How rude they are? I just find it odd that you'd know by seeing it on the news where these people are from. Thats all.

As I said in an earlier post, my assumption that most of the rioters weren't from Vancouver was correct.

from the Province newspaper....

Chu said 37 rioters — 30 males and seven females — have turned themselves in to police and most of those aren’t Vancouver residents. Investigators are preparing charges against all 37, he said.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vancouver+police+preparing+cases+against+least+alleged+Stanley+rioters/5134432/story.html#ixzz1SkYBRNaA

As I said in an earlier post, my assumption that most of the rioters weren't from Vancouver was correct.

from the Province newspaper....

Chu said 37 rioters — 30 males and seven females — have turned themselves in to police and most of those aren’t Vancouver residents. Investigators are preparing charges against all 37, he said.

But it appears from that map that all are from the surrounding areas of Vancouver. Seems like it'd be comparable to someone from Clarence not being a Buffalo resident.

But it appears from that map that all are from the surrounding areas of Vancouver. Seems like it'd be comparable to someone from Clarence not being a Buffalo resident.

You are correct. My point when this all started was that most wouldn't be "true" Vancouverites. I've lived in the "Lower Mainland" as they call it and you can reach the city within the hour and you aren't a resident. Out of the 37 that turned themselves in, that still leaves hundreds more to be charged. I'm sure the percentage of Vancouverites goes down further when it's all said and done.

You are correct. My point when this all started was that most wouldn't be "true" Vancouverites. I've lived in the "Lower Mainland" as they call it and you can reach the city within the hour and you aren't a resident. Out of the 37 that turned themselves in, that still leaves hundreds more to be charged. I'm sure the percentage of Vancouverites goes down further when it's all said and done.

This seems like a pretty weak argument to me. I lived in Hamburg and if anyone said I wasn't a true Buffalonian I wouldn't be happy about it.

This seems like a pretty weak argument to me. I lived in Hamburg and if anyone said I wasn't a true Buffalonian I wouldn't be happy about it.

I agree. (says the North Tonawandian)

Ok, but then what do you call people who live in the City of Buffalo? Really true Buffalonians?

Ok, but then what do you call people who live in the City of Buffalo? Really true Buffalonians?

There are many things we could call them, none of them correct. Buffalo is different than most other cities. I know people and have lived in south buffalo but lived primarily in Angola. Even with that I would say I am from buffalo and if someone that lived in the city asked me where and I told them Angola they wouldnt challenge that. Buffalo extends much farther than its city limits. In a city like Vancouver I am sure it might be a little different, but this still seems like a cop out to me. I wouldnt go to Erie or Cleveland or any other city that is semi close to my area and riot. If these people are from the suburbs of this city and did this it is absolutely pathetic.

Buffalo is different than most other cities. I know people and have lived in south buffalo but lived primarily in Angola. Even with that I would say I am from buffalo and if someone that lived in the city asked me where and I told them Angola they wouldnt challenge that. Buffalo extends much farther than its city limits.

Rochester is the same way. Most Monroe County residents would tell people that they are from Rochester despite living outside the city limits. I'm sure this is pretty common for mid-sized cities with geographically small city limits and highly populated suburbs.

• 1 month later...

A report to Vancouver city council last week pointed out 70 per cent of the people who had come forward in the early stages of the investigation live outside Vancouver.

Rick, is that outside of Van-city proper, or outside of what would be considered Van-city and the local suburbs?

I know a lot of people (myself included) who've never (or at least not for more than a year or 2) lived in the city limits but consider themselves Buffalonians.

Rick, is that outside of Van-city proper, or outside of what would be considered Van-city and the local suburbs?

I know a lot of people (myself included) who've never (or at least not for more than a year or 2) lived in the city limits but consider themselves Buffalonians.

unless they live somewhere not on this map, they are from Vancouver.

post-1429-042756800 1316779308_thumb.png

Archived