2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Taro T

The hit was a bit late, but not a headshot. Horton should have looked to his right :rolleyes:

Kind of reminded me of the Neil hit on Drury years back.

It WAS a "headshot" by the definition that his shoulder made contact with his head, but that's not the reason he should be suspended. Nobody said it was blindside (except the versus goons who tried to argue for it or whatever) but it is certainly very late interference and possibly suspension worthy.

I find it extremely hard to believe he made it from point A to point B without taking a single stride.

post-770-020337000 1307416655_thumb.jpg

Here is the video, I think you should watch it a few more times.

The hit was not late.

I can get from the red line to the blue line in one stride and I'm as slow as dirt. I'm sure he can. It was not late.

This is just ugly, lucic is dirty as hell, and vancouver needs to regroup...... it was only a matter of time before boston got dirty. I would hope couver shows up next name

Lucic is a dirty pri*k and to hear Milbury and Roenick praise him is a joke. They rip on Burrows to no end, but then think Lucic taking cheap shots at him is fair play and they love it, even though Burrows is half Lucic's size. I had no problem when Recchi got in Burrow's face, but Lucic? Lucic and Chara both love to go after smaller guys who won't fight, especially after the whistle. Vancouver needs to put a goon in the lineup and come out and play their most physical game on Wednesday. I don't know who they have in the press box, but most likely they will need to replace Rome.

But yes, what an ugly game and the Canucks totally hung Luongo out there during the second half of the third period. I don't think Luongo should have started the third period anyways. Can't wait for Wednesday's game.

The hit was not late.

I can get from the red line to the blue line in one stride and I'm as slow as dirt. I'm sure he can. It was not late.

Watching it again, I wouldn't be surprised if Rome isn't suspended for the hit (have seen the NHL rule similar hits each way, considering it's the Finals, I'd probably expect no suspension but won't be surprised either way now), but it is by definition late and thus interference. The puck was gone from Horton's stick for just over 1 second and the Bruin winger clearly had possession of the puck by the time Rome hit Horton. No possession => no legal hit => interference.

The hit was not late.

You can clearly see him take two strides in the video, but since your eyes are blocking that out we'll just pretend he didn't take one stride -- The less strides he takes, the slower he is moving, meaning the more time Rome had to make his decision. He had nearly 1.5-2 seconds from the time the puck left Horton's stick until the time Horton reached the blue line. I guess everybody sees these things differently, but the fact that we were debating the same thing 5 years ago when

happened is enough to convince me that this his is much later. People were calling for a Campbell suspension when the puck was at his feet when he delivered the hit -- in this case, the puck is over the blue line and practically being shot on goal when Rome delivers the hit at the blue line.

Anyway, putting this controversy behind me, I've changed my stance on the series. I want the Bruins the win. I can't stand the way the Canucks are playing -- the Sedins taking dives everywhere, Burrows biting Berg's finger and denying it, now this border-line (or in my opinion quite obviously) dirty hit.. not to mention the little slash by Hanson that opened up ice for him to score Boston's first goal -- that same slash to the inner-knee area has been used all series by Vancouver. I absolutely LOVE the way Boston responded with Lucic giving Burrows the business and then shoving his fingers in his face. Next I want to see Boychuk take out a Sedin or two like he did Vanek/Ellis, with a hard clean hit... Or, not that I want to see anybody die, but since Mike Richards destroying Connolly head-first into the boards was deemed "legal", how bout one of those for Torres or Kesler? Loved Thomas delivering a hit to Sedin too -- probably should have been a penalty (I'm not really sure what the rule is with GOALIES initiating contact?) but Sedin got what was coming to him.

I almost lost it I was laughing so hard when a Sedin took the lightest shove from Ference after the icing and fell on the ice holding his face like he took an elbow or stick to the eye. And all these years I've been calling Sidney Crosby and Derek Roy cry babies and divers...

Watch the CBC feed and you'll see the opposite ballwashing.At least when the canucks are winning. Glen Healy is terrible.

I wish I could hear that feed, just to even the ballwashing out. I love listening to Roenick, but tonight he was gushing over the Bruins during the post game discussion.

Watching it again, I wouldn't be surprised if Rome isn't suspended for the hit (have seen the NHL rule similar hits each way, considering it's the Finals, I'd probably expect no suspension but won't be surprised either way now), but it is by definition late and thus interference. The puck was gone from Horton's stick for just over 1 second and the Bruin winger clearly had possession of the puck by the time Rome hit Horton. No possession => no legal hit => interference.

You can clearly see him take two strides in the video, but since your eyes are blocking that out we'll just pretend he didn't take one stride -- The less strides he takes, the slower he is moving, meaning the more time Rome had to make his decision. He had nearly 1.5-2 seconds from the time the puck left Horton's stick until the time Horton reached the blue line. I guess everybody sees these things differently, but the fact that we were debating the same thing 5 years ago when

happened is enough to convince me that this his is much later. People were calling for a Campbell suspension when the puck was at his feet when he delivered the hit -- in this case, the puck is over the blue line and practically being shot on goal when Rome delivers the hit at the blue line.

Anyway, putting this controversy behind me, I've changed my stance on the series. I want the Bruins the win. I can't stand the way the Canucks are playing -- the Sedins taking dives everywhere, Burrows biting Berg's finger and denying it, now this border-line (or in my opinion quite obviously) dirty hit.. not to mention the little slash by Hanson that opened up ice for him to score Boston's first goal -- that same slash to the inner-knee area has been used all series by Vancouver. I absolutely LOVE the way Boston responded with Lucic giving Burrows the business and then shoving his fingers in his face. Next I want to see Boychuk take out a Sedin or two like he did Vanek/Ellis, with a hard clean hit... Or, not that I want to see anybody die, but since Mike Richards destroying Connolly head-first into the boards was deemed "legal", how bout one of those for Torres or Kesler? Loved Thomas delivering a hit to Sedin too -- probably should have been a penalty (I'm not really sure what the rule is with GOALIES initiating contact?) but Sedin got what was coming to him.

I almost lost it I was laughing so hard when a Sedin took the lightest shove from Ference after the icing and fell on the ice holding his face like he took an elbow or stick to the eye. And all these years I've been calling Sidney Crosby and Derek Roy cry babies and divers...

You both need new stopwatches. It was under a second from the time he passed the puck to the time he was hit. I stopped reading after you gave me your times,.. sorry.

I wish I could hear that feed, just to even the ballwashing out. I love listening to Roenick, but tonight he was gushing over the Bruins during the post game discussion.

I believe it because Roenick has been known to be a mouthpiece and I think he tries to stir it up a bit. I kind of wish I'd heard the other feed just to hear Roenicks take.

You both need new stopwatches. It was under a second from the time he passed the puck to the time he was hit. I stopped reading after you gave me your times,.. sorry.

From when the puck leaves his stick until he is contacted is just over 1 second. If you want to say it's a fraction under, I'll call it close enough. There is absolutely no disputing that the winger has possession and control before Rome hits Horton.

The winger has possession. Horton does not. A second is a lifetime in this game and that is how long it took for Rome to hit him after the puck was released.

Convenient that you stopped reading after reading the time it took to initiate the hit, as you then get to ignore the fact that the Bruin winger had possession of the puck.

Anyone see coach Julien today before the game. He said that his team doesn't do that type of stuff (fingers in the face taunting) and that maybe the Canucks do but it's not their way.

Wonder what coach has to say tonight after the oldest guy on the ice did it first and then Lucic did it with gloves off.

All I know is Burrows better have said something along the lines of "sniff, your mom, no wait, your gf" because Lucic had that coming.

Thought the hit by Rome was late and stupid to boot, but only should have been 2 for interference. Not sure that hit comes under the head hit rule but I wouldn't be surprised to see him yanked by the league.

Thought Thomas was very shaky early on but the Canucks couldn't find those loose pucks. He got better as the night went on.

Alberts is awful. Get him off the ice please.

Thought some of the calls in the 3rd were too careful. Kesler's boarding call on Paille was a real head scratcher. Ference's trip was terrible. Not sure how Sedin and Ference get 10 mins each. Wonder if that would happen to Crosby.

Luongo should have been pulled at 5. Not good coaching there.

In the end, it's 2-1 in games. Bruins had to win and did. Score means very little at this time of the year. A loss is a loss.

From when the puck leaves his stick until he is contacted is just over 1 second. If you want to say it's a fraction under, I'll call it close enough. There is absolutely no disputing that the winger has possession and control before Rome hits Horton.

The winger has possession. Horton does not. A second is a lifetime in this game and that is how long it took for Rome to hit him after the puck was released.

Convenient that you stopped reading after reading the time it took to initiate the hit, as you then get to ignore the fact that the Bruin winger had possession of the puck.

I went back and read both. Guys get hit every shift after their teammate has already taken over possession of the puck. Nowhere in the rule book says you can't do that (well,.. maybe it's there but the refs sure don't call it that way).

I went back and read both. Guys get hit every shift after their teammate has already taken over possession of the puck. Nowhere in the rule book says you can't do that (well,.. maybe it's there but the refs sure don't call it that way).

Actually, it does say that players can't do that in the rule book. (Rule 56)

Yes guys do get hit after their teammate has taken possession of the puck, when the hit comes right after the puck leaves the passer / shooter's stick. A hit coming a full second after the puck leaves the guy's stick on a play like that will get called most every time. (The league tends to let the Pat Kaleta trademark 'hit the defenseman / winger late when his head is up and he expects the hit' hit to go, but this hit tends to usually get called.)

Regardless, I'm calling it a night.

Anyone see coach Julien today before the game. He said that his team doesn't do that type of stuff (fingers in the face taunting) and that maybe the Canucks do but it's not their way.

Wonder what coach has to say tonight after the oldest guy on the ice did it first and then Lucic did it with gloves off.

All I know is Burrows better have said something along the lines of "sniff, your mom, no wait, your gf" because Lucic had that coming.

Thought the hit by Rome was late and stupid to boot, but only should have been 2 for interference. Not sure that hit comes under the head hit rule but I wouldn't be surprised to see him yanked by the league.

Thought Thomas was very shaky early on but the Canucks couldn't find those loose pucks. He got better as the night went on.

Thought some of the calls in the 3rd were too careful. Kesler's boarding call on Paille was a real head scratcher. Ference's trip was terrible. Not sure how Sedin and Ference get 10 mins each. Wonder if that would happen to Crosby.

In the end, it's 2-1 in games. Bruins had to win and did. Score means very little at this time of the year. A loss is a loss.

Thats a fair assessment Rick. The B's absolutely had to win tonight to make it a series. The canucks will come back determined to prove they aren't the team we saw tonight. I thought the canucks should have helped Lou out by pulling him out and it might have sparked the team.

Of course, the officiating this series has been hot and cold. Par for the course in the NHL. I have to agree that the 'Nucks acting has been making me queasy - but at this point I'm still on their side. The Bruins are too damn dirty.

You can stop (ok, maybe you never started) reading mine, as well.

It was at least a second... and at least two strides.

With that said, I doubt he gets suspended.

For the record, I timed it (in real time) four times with a stop watch and came up with 0.71s - 0.75s between releasing the pass and contact being made.

And what is a normal human reaction time? Now figure in the speed both players were traveling? Almost no margin for error.

No doubt, Rome was trying to line Horton up, and was well underway towards making contact when the puck was passed off. IMO Rome couldn't have reacted fast enough to avoid the hit.

Gonna be a tough decision for the league today.

For the record, I timed it (in real time) four times with a stop watch and came up with 0.71s - 0.75s between releasing the pass and contact being made.

I will say that that borders on being late. My only problem is that I bet we can find five other examples, in this very game, of hits just as late or later. In typical NHL fashion, they only called a penalty on that play because of the resulting injury. If it's interference, then it has to be interference every time, not just when someone gets hurt.

On a side note, how in the world does Horton get that blowed-up when Rome was in front of him the entire time? There's a lesson in there for the kiddies. There is just no time on the ice for admiring your passes,.. especially in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'm glad to hear Julien say what he did - that's exactly what to tell your team. That said, it's obvious they don't listen to him. The Bruins need to let the finger-biting thing go. They're either going to get a taunting penalty or one of those digits bit clean off.

As for Rome's hit, it was late. Too late. Time it all you want, but even a half-second is a lifetime out there. He also led with his shoulder right into Horton's chin. I really can't blame Horton for looking - that happens all the time and is precisely what Drury was doing when Neil cold-cocked him. To me, it's the exact same situation. This one gets more attention because it's the finals and not a game in March. Rome should be suspended - you can clearly see that he intended to hit Horton high and he knew the puck was gone. At least Brian Campbell started at RJ Umberger while he still had the puck.

I actually thought Thomas' hit should have been interference. The Canuck (Kessler?) didn't have possession of the puck and Thomas got in his way. But it was clearly a sign that the Bruins came into the game to hit and hit hard. Rome's shot on Horton just exacerbated the attitude.

Lost in all this is that we have a series now. I don't want the Bruins to win, either, but I didn't want a sweep. This is exciting now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/news/story?id=6633698

He didn't like it.

I will say that that borders on being late. My only problem is that I bet we can find five other examples, in this very game, of hits just as late or later. In typical NHL fashion, they only called a penalty on that play because of the resulting injury. If it's interference, then it has to be interference every time, not just when someone gets hurt.

On a side note, how in the world does Horton get that blowed-up when Rome was in front of him the entire time? There's a lesson in there for the kiddies. There is just no time on the ice for admiring your passes,.. especially in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Correct! Not any later than several, maybe dozens of other hits in a given game.

I'm still not sure about the hit to the head part of it, though. It was slightly blindside and slightly to the head and slightly late, so a combo of all that made it look bad.

Archived