Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

Everyone expects a big salary purge here. What I fail to understand is how all that cleared cap space can be made up in one offseason...

Bingo. It's not enough to have tens of millions in cap space and all the money in the world to spend, there have to be good free agents available to sign.

It's not like there are 3-4 stud players in the prime of their career that we can go out and get this summer.

Bingo. It's not enough to have tens of millions in cap space and all the money in the world to spend, there have to be good free agents available to sign.

It's not like there are 3-4 stud players in the prime of their career that we can go out and get this summer.

Why does it all have to be spent this off-season? Or, why does it have to be spent on only free agents? Not to mention that $30 million in cap space, if they can free it up, would look pretty damn good to new GM candidates.

I don't expect a huge purge in addition to the 7 players whose contracts are up. That's significant attrition. Depending on where the cap ends up.....Sabres will probably have over 25M to spend going into 2011-12. That's with Vanek, Pomminstein, Roy, Hecht, and Gaustad here.

My biggest hope is that there is a new GM making that decision.

Believe it or not, Tim Connolly is practically a top 10 forward in the UFA market.

It is thinner than thin. Semin and Backes are already locked up. Richards, Gagne, Ryder, Frolov, Zherdev, Cole.

Even on D it is thin: Andrie Markov, Lindstrom (like he's going anywhere), Joni Pickenin, Jovanoski, probably top it out.

Why does it all have to be spent this off-season? Or, why does it have to be spent on only free agents? Not to mention that $30 million in cap space, if they can free it up, would look pretty damn good to new GM candidates.

Well it looks like TP is pushing to get in before the trade deadline. That to me looks like he is ready to handle operations. Thus i'd infer he keeps DR and makes a push. Remember DR has been here for 13 years this old dog isn't gonna learn any new tricks in a month...unless he operates different with LQ and TG not holding his nads. Then again who is to say he isn't a meek trade guy regardless. So many questions to be answered renews my excitement in the season to say the least.

Well it looks like TP is pushing to get in before the trade deadline. That to me looks like he is ready to handle operations. Thus i'd infer he keeps DR and makes a push. Remember DR has been here for 13 years this old dog isn't gonna learn any new tricks in a month...unless he operates different with LQ and TG not holding his nads. Then again who is to say he isn't a meek trade guy regardless. So many questions to be answered renews my excitement in the season to say the least.

Pegula needs to give Darcey one order, hand him a list of players and tell him to get these guys off my roster and pick up what you can for them. If the trade deadline comes and goes and any of the players on that list are still on the team? You fire Regier right then and there.

Pegula needs to give Darcey one order, hand him a list of players and tell him to get these guys off my roster and pick up what you can for them. If the trade deadline comes and goes and any of the players on that list are still on the team? You fire Regier right then and there.

That's a tall order. The only way he pulls that off is to kill any cap that he has for probably the next few season(I actually mean 4 or 5 seasons). I know we have a lot coming off the books this off season but I would be happy it see maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of his "wish list" be fulfilled.

U seem to think Pegula has more hockey sense than Regier. A better test for Regier would be to give him a list of players that he knows are half 'no-gooders' and have Regier shoot down most of them, showing he owns a pair and able to speak his own opinion.

U seem to think Pegula has more hockey sense than Regier. A better test for Regier would be to give him a list of players that he knows are half 'no-gooders' and have Regier shoot down most of them, showing he owns a pair and able to speak his own opinion.

Pegula should hand Regier an contract extension for Tim Connolly and see if Regier tries to sign it. :death:

Thanks TG for saving the franchise and ensuring its stay in Buffalo. Welcome Mr. Pegula and company, we're looking forward to your ownership.

Yup, TG saw a good investment.

You forgot thanks for giving Sabres fans one of the worst logos since the Islanders Gorton's fisherman for the sake of income from sales of new jerseys. You forgot thanks for inheriting a team with a load of talent and potential in 2003 and selling it before nearly letting it slowly bleed to death through letting free agents go and making $83 million in the process. You're a good businessman, and a crappy owner. Good riddance, TG. I think we now have an owner with a passion for the team, instead of solely having a passion for money.

Briere (26 goals this season so far and a run to the finals last season)

Drury (two 20 goal seasons with the Rangers)

Campbell (+23 rating this season and a Stanley Cup last year)

Tallinder (OK, the Devils suck)

Lydman (+24 rating this season)

Dumont (career high 29 goals in 07-08)

Connolly bye, Niedermeyer bye, Hecht bye, Rivet bye

Let's hope he is like Leonsis, and not Danny Snyder.

Lets hope his teams do a bit better than Leonsis's teams have. All that spending that people perceive in Washington has translated into one Finals appearance, one Presidents' Trophy, and no Cups. Basically, the same track record that people bitch about Ruff having, but without the additional trips to the conference finals.

As I stated it would just be the start. Each just one of many building blocks needed. You don't like Gagne, target another talented player. Again, it doesn't all have to happen this off-season. Just make sure that when a player does become available like Horton, Byfuglien or Cammalleri you are ready to be aggressive and get into the mix.

The Summer is going to be fun tossing around names of GM's and players. :thumbsup:

In late October the Sabres were comming off of a terrible start to the season. Yet again, the team hadn't really made any offseason moves to make them get better. In short, things were at an all time low. Oh how things can change with one man. I'm so tired of seeing the big name free agents every offseason and not even considering them because I know the Sabres won't go after them. Yes, for the first time possibly ever as a life long Sabres fan, I really can't wait until July 1.

Lets hope his teams do a bit better than Leonsis's teams have. All that spending that people perceive in Washington has translated into one Finals appearance, one Presidents' Trophy, and no Cups. Basically, the same track record that people bitch about Ruff having, but without the additional trips to the conference finals.

And wasn't Leonsis's first move as owner to go out and buy Jaromir Jagr? Then a few years later his team sucks and he lucks his way into winning the lottery and a no brainer building block in Ovechkin.

Looking at the free agent market you mentioned earlier, it seems that much more important to unload the vets this year for as many picks as possible. They can then turn around in the offseason and use those picks as trade fodder. They need to make themselves players in the trade market for RFAs like Parise.

And wasn't Leonsis's first move as owner to go out and buy Jaromir Jagr? Then a few years later his team sucks and he lucks his way into winning the lottery and a no brainer building block in Ovechkin.

Looking at the free agent market you mentioned earlier, it seems that much more important to unload the vets this year for as many picks as possible. They can then turn around in the offseason and use those picks as trade fodder. They need to make themselves players in the trade market for RFAs like Parise.

+1

At least I'm not the only one talking about how important it is to collect draft picks for the offseason now.

+1

At least I'm not the only one talking about how important it is to collect draft picks for the offseason now.

I don't know who would disagree with you on this. Clearly we should try to eliminate our dead weight for picks. That gives DR or whoever replaces him the opportunity to either make the picks or use them to sweeten the deal on a potential trade or use them for a RFA signing.

I just took a quick look at the listed UFA's and found four guys at the age of 26 that I think would be a good start to rebuilding this franchise:

Maxime Talbot

Tomas Fleischmann

Nikolai Zherdev

Patrick Eaves

Are any of these players center pieces? No! You bring these guys in with a Brad Richards and Simone Gagne and you have yourself a pretty decent off-season to start. I said to start. Take a chance on a RFA and work the trade market. No trade market? Pick up the damn phone and create one.

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

You and me. We're thinking alike.

Add the Sharks and Hawks to the list of teams that don't have alot of cap room to sign FA's with next year. And the Cane's and Canadiens have fewer than 10 players under contract for next year as well. Sounds like another couple partners to trade signed players for picks.

The cap is going to go up at least $3 million, maybe more. While there may still be significant free agents available, cap space will not be an issue for most clubs. Budget space on the other hand may play a factor.

The cap is going to go up at least $3 million, maybe more. While there may still be significant free agents available, cap space will not be an issue for most clubs. Budget space on the other hand may play a factor.

Can budget and cap space be a synonym in Buffalo for a change? My God, I still feel like I'm in a dream comming to the realization that we may finally have the resources to put a competetive team on the ice and not just over rely on the draft to do it. Remember this past summer with the Tim Kennedy fiasco? Several reports said at the time that it was a financial move to cut him. Are those days finally over?

Archived