Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

Show me where Golisano dumped $88 million into a mediocre college program in a niche sport.

A mediocre program? Actually it was a non-existant program. They may have a club program in place there, but that doesn't count at all. They're starting from scratch.

A mediocre program? Actually it was a non-existant program. They may have a club program in place there, but that doesn't count at all. They're starting from scratch.

All the better. $88 million. The notion that he will pennypinch and stay under the salary cap to boost the bottom line sounds like sour grapes from the Quinn camp. LeBrun mentions the Canadian dollar and the salary cap. That is straight from Quinn's mouth, so I can only assume LeBrun talks to Quinn as his source, Quinn protects his buddy Darcy by saying Pegula is going to keep him, which is probably true for the next few months, then fluffs himself and OSP for a bevy of LeBrun comments praising the dictator.

Again, when Golisano bought the Sabres, his balance sheet looked like: $700 million PAYX stock, The Buffalo Sabres, $150 million cash + other. The bottom line matters when you only have $150 million liquid.

Pegula: Residual land + rights in his company, The Buffalo Sabres, $3 billion cash and other. Pegula has so much liquid cash now, he's scrambling to find places for it that return more than 4.6% while having to rely on the full faith and good credit of the United States Treasury. He's pulling down $4.37 in interest EVERY SECOND! A good businessman will look at bringing in franchise players as an investment....not a cost.

So, there's is nothing legally the old Sabres need to tell TP about trades etc... but they would run it past him.

Same for TPegs calling them and telling them to get someone. He can ask, they aren't obligated.

There IS a magical list of players that can be traded (assuming from TPegs).

From Terry Pegula, first time ever-

"As diehard fans of the Buffalo Sabres, the Pegula Family would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn on their committment to hockey fans in Western New York and their dedicated stewardship of the franchise. Without their generosity and perserverance through tough economic times and labor issues, there would not be a team for the Buffalo community to support. We will be forever grateful for their efforts in developing one of the best markets in the National Hockey League and providing the foundation for future success. My wife Kim and I are hopeful that the league's approval process of our intent to purchase the franchise will move swiftly and we can begin the next era of Buffalo Sabres hockey in the very near future".

Link- http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=33369

Did anyone catch this:

WECK 1230 AM reports: ''Sabres owner Tom Golisano announced that he has sold the team to billionaire Terry Pegula with a clause that Pegula can never move the club from Buffalo, spurning an offer worth $70-plus million more from another suitor to relocate the team.

Does anybody else think that other offer was from Jim Balsillie?

Did anyone catch this:

WECK 1230 AM reports: ''Sabres owner Tom Golisano announced that he has sold the team to billionaire Terry Pegula with a clause that Pegula can never move the club from Buffalo, spurning an offer worth $70-plus million more from another suitor to relocate the team.

This is completely irrelevant. As I have mentioned recently, if the NHL is bending over backwards(and then some) to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix(despite luke warm support at best), do you really believe they would approve the sale of the Sabres to a person who is buying them with the intention of moving them?

It wasn't going to happen, but a nice attempt by OSP to pat himself on the back one last time as the Sabres owner.

Did anyone catch this:

It was.

The tidbits in the CBC article are very interesting. I think it would be great if Pegula could get Craig Patrick as an advisor let alone possibly future president. Also, interesting to hear that it's been heard that he is interested in keeping both Regier and Ruff. As with most articles it could be way off base but interesting to hear especially the Craig Patrick piece of rumour.

So, there's is nothing legally the old Sabres need to tell TP about trades etc... but they would run it past him.

Same for TPegs calling them and telling them to get someone. He can ask, they aren't obligated.

There IS a magical list of players that can be traded (assuming from TPegs).

There was also mention of a certain financial commitment the Sabres can't exceed without TP's approval.

"Bad assumption! ... I'm not saying it's a wrong one ..." -TG

Like they used to say about Bubba Clinton, "slippery when wet."

The highlight for me in this regard was when Tom tried to explain that being 10% under the cap is "good business practice." (And, actuallly, he might have sold himself short a bit.)

Like they used to say about Bubba Clinton, "slippery when wet."

The highlight for me in this regard was when Tom tried to explain that being 10% under the cap is "good business practice." (And, actuallly, he might have sold himself short a bit.)

That's the best kind..

Did anyone catch this:

Golisano is making sure that Terry doesn't turn around and make a quick $70M flipping the Sabres to Mr. Crackberry. Not saying Pegula would, but a good businessman gets it in writing.

PTR

Archived