Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

I'm sure you're talking about the idea of him being in control before the trade deadline, but one part of that comment was pretty stupid. It implies that moving contracts that expire this year is going to free up cap space for next year. I'd love to know how that's possible. The rest is fine, but head scratchers like that really make you question anything else that is written.

Yeah! I puzzled over that one. "Buffalo has several players who are in the final years of their contracts" almost certainly means Connolly, Rivet, Grier, Neids etc. But I kept reading it as maybe referrring to Gaustad, Hecht etc. Why not "Buffalo has several players who are in the final year of their contract"?

Yeah! I puzzled over that one. "Buffalo has several players who are in the final years of their contracts" almost certainly means Connolly, Rivet, Grier, Neids etc. But I kept reading it as maybe referrring to Gaustad, Hecht etc. Why not "Buffalo has several players who are in the final year of their contract"?

The News probably cut their proof-reading department along with source validation.

So now the question is, How long will it take for the owners meeting to happen or how long will it take the owners to fax in their votes for him to be accepted as the new owner?

I could be wrong, but Pierre LeBrun said over the weekend it should be about 2-3 weeks before he gets the approval of the league.

I could be wrong, but Pierre LeBrun said over the weekend it should be about 2-3 weeks before he gets the approval of the league.

I thought that was the case also but I'm just curious whether it will actually take a full meeting for the approval to be recognized or if the fax in votes will do.

I don't know if that makes sense or not but I thought it did while I was typing it.

I thought that was the case also but I'm just curious whether it will actually take a full meeting for the approval to be recognized or if the fax in votes will do.

I don't know if that makes sense or not but I thought it did while I was typing it.

They can do it by fax.

Dreger from ESPN says "Pegula signed purchase agreement today"

As chz dances on her tippy toes!

Press release for press conference should be out today.

Per David Shoalts of the Toronto Globe and Mail....

Golisano, Quinn will announce Sabres sale at press conference on Thursay. New owner Pegula will have own presser at later date.

http://api.twitter.com/#!/dshoalts/status/32168332962570240

I was hoping that we would finally hear from Pegula but it's just gonna be Golisano and Quinn. Still exciting though!

I would just like, once more before the sale is final, to thank Tom Golisano for saving the Buffalo Sabres.

Without him stepping in - the city of Buffalo quite possibly would not have a team today.

I'd like to second that.

Sure maybe he hasn't been a great owner lately. Yes, he's not a hockey man. Okay, fine, he was more interested in the bottom line than winning. But he did step in and save the team. He did it and insisted it stay in Buffalo, and even when interested in selling he wasn't interested in selling to anyone who would move the team out of Buffalo. We should all thank him.

Now it's time to move on, he made his 100 million. Good for him. The team is now on solid standing, and is poised for a real, rich, hockey guy to take over.

Thanks, Tom.

I'd like to second that.

Sure maybe he hasn't been a great owner lately. Yes, he's not a hockey man. Okay, fine, he was more interested in the bottom line than winning. But he did step in and save the team. He did it and insisted it stay in Buffalo, and even when interested in selling he wasn't interested in selling to anyone who would move the team out of Buffalo. We should all thank him.

Now it's time to move on, he made his 100 million. Good for him. The team is now on solid standing, and is poised for a real, rich, hockey guy to take over.

Thanks, Tom.

I'd agree with this, but this team has an ongoing agreement with the NHL itself that the team can't be moved. TG has it and TP will have it.

And we know that we have this because...

I had this thought: what if Pegula's philosophy is to go Biblical, flatten this organization back to the Stone Age and start from scratch, perhaps angling for a #1 pick in the process the way he saw his other favorite team, the Pens, do it? He has the luxury of doing his, because the fans really can't hold ticket sales over his head. What I'm driving at is that in this scenario the amount the Sabres spend on salaries could go lower, much lower, for a while.

Everyone expects a big salary purge here. What I fail to understand is how all that cleared cap space can be made up in one offseason...

I had this thought: what if Pegula's philosophy is to go Biblical, flatten this organization back to the Stone Age and start from scratch, perhaps angling for a #1 pick in the process the way he saw his other favorite team, the Pens, do it? He has the luxury of doing his, because the fans really can't hold ticket sales over his head. What I'm driving at is that in this scenario the amount the Sabres spend on salaries could go lower, much lower, for a while.

Everyone expects a big salary purge here. What I fail to understand is how all that cleared cap space can be made up in one offseason...

I don't expect a huge purge in addition to the 7 players whose contracts are up. That's significant attrition. Depending on where the cap ends up.....Sabres will probably have over 25M to spend going into 2011-12. That's with Vanek, Pomminstein, Roy, Hecht, and Gaustad here.

Archived