Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

OK, on a scale of 1-10, how creepy is Mike Harrington and Mike Schopp following 16-year-old Jessica Pegula on Twitter?

Schopp is a bigtime tennis guy,* so if that's why he's following her, I'm not too creeped out.

*This is a big reason why he never caught on nationally when he had his shot. You make your ESPN radio show about tennis and golf, and well, you're just not going to last.

OK, on a scale of 1-10, how creepy is Mike Harrington and Mike Schopp following 16-year-old Jessica Pegula on Twitter?

zero, She's blogging on hockeybuzz. Guess the family knows hockey.

Do I think Buffalo can make the playoffs? Yes. Absolutely. There are plenty of games left. Is it going to be easy? Hell no. Either way, I think they can do it because they showed it during the 1st and 3rd periods. Work on not letting that mental lapse come in. To me that is the HUGE difference between the top teams and the bottom ones. They aren’t as messy. Plus Buffalo just came off the NHL All-Star break, probably a little slow while Pittsburgh has been on fire proving they can win without their stars.

Tomorrow they take on Toronto at home. Shouldn’t be a threat at all. Let’s go Buffalo!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Guest-BloggerJessie-Pegula-on-the-Sabres/1/33411

I don't get it, but I laughed anyway.

I hope someone has verified this is the real Jessica.

I remember that Kotite was so bad in drafting, a story went around that his daughter actually made a few of the decisions.

Edit: Oh boy.....that's the daughter all right. She looks like a down to earth kid, but she is going to have to go underground. She has multiple tweets to Jeremy White, and a guy who drives an Ice Cream Truck. For the love of the Baby Jesus....Terry, buy a shotgun.

He was a lifelong Flyer fan.His kids are huge Pens fans.

The long-time season ticket part is true, but in a company seat kind of way. He would spreed them around the office to keep everyone smiling.

But he's a huge Sabre fan now. :clapping:

Hope he gets it all straightened out at his presser.

Per a story at the wivb web site, TP expects to take control by 2/22 (a week before trade deadline) and states that we're going to win a cup, then go ahead and win another one.......Sweet! That's what you want hear from your owner!

Per a story at the wivb web site, TP expects to take control by 2/22 (a week before trade deadline) and states that we're going to win a cup, then go ahead and win another one.......Sweet! That's what you want hear from your owner!

Thats what I want to hear. Problem is we heard the same misguided bravado from Ruff before the season. But I am glad this owner seems to have the balls to make that statement. Here's to hoping he can back it up.

Thats what I want to hear. Problem is we heard the same misguided bravado from Ruff before the season. But I am glad this owner seems to have the balls to make that statement. Here's to hoping he can back it up.

Bravado? I've guess I've never sensed that. Gruff statements of working hard, making progress, shaping up, seem to be the standard to me.

Bravado? I've guess I've never sensed that. Gruff statements of working hard, making progress, shaping up, seem to be the standard to me.

By bravado I was referring to Ruffs comment that the sabres would challenge for the cup which was way out there.

as the youngest poster here i think we should all agree to do our best to set me up with jessica pegula (pending photo verification that she's remotely good looking)

If there's anything I can do to help I'd be glad to :thumbsup: I'll have my people call her people.

Did anyone catch this:

WECK 1230 AM reports: ''Sabres owner Tom Golisano announced that he has sold the team to billionaire Terry Pegula with a clause that Pegula can never move the club from Buffalo, spurning an offer worth $70-plus million more from another suitor to relocate the team.

Does anybody else think that other offer was from Jim Balsillie?

That is referring to the clause from the original mortgage on the Mmarena that stated the team couldn't move (except in the case of a bankruptcy). The kicker is, that even though Golisano kept that clause when he took over the clause could easily have been removed and unless TG did something really off the beaten path TP (or any successor) will have the same "escape" clause to move the team after declaring bankruptcy.

It isn't that difficult to get to a point where a bankruptcy filing could be made. (It happened once and the Knoxes could have done so as well back before Rigas started infusing cash into the organization.) So that is really more of a "feel good" clause for the fan base.

All that stated, I don't see any way that TP would try to move them.

This is completely irrelevant. As I have mentioned recently, if the NHL is bending over backwards(and then some) to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix(despite luke warm support at best), do you really believe they would approve the sale of the Sabres to a person who is buying them with the intention of moving them?

It wasn't going to happen, but a nice attempt by OSP to pat himself on the back one last time as the Sabres owner.

While I'd agree that I don't see any reasonable set of circumstances that the league would agree to move the Sabres, and it's extremely doubtful that they'd approve a sale to someone that wants to move them; but when you get to that point where they've been sold to a Balsillie, you're looking at a lawsuit by the new owner against the league. I'd expect the league to win (like they did last time), but wouldn't want to be in the position where it has to happen to keep the team in town.

That is referring to the clause from the original mortgage on the Mmarena that stated the team couldn't move (except in the case of a bankruptcy). The kicker is, that even though Golisano kept that clause when he took over the clause could easily have been removed and unless TG did something really off the beaten path TP (or any successor) will have the same "escape" clause to move the team after declaring bankruptcy.

It isn't that difficult to get to a point where a bankruptcy filing could be made. (It happened once and the Knoxes could have done so as well back before Rigas started infusing cash into the organization.) So that is really more of a "feel good" clause for the fan base.

All that stated, I don't see any way that TP would try to move them.

While I'd agree that I don't see any reasonable set of circumstances that the league would agree to move the Sabres, and it's extremely doubtful that they'd approve a sale to someone that wants to move them; but when you get to that point where they've been sold to a Balsillie, you're looking at a lawsuit by the new owner against the league. I'd expect the league to win (like they did last time), but wouldn't want to be in the position where it has to happen to keep the team in town.

Thank you for posting that.

At least Rigas was willing to go to jail to keep the team in Buffalo. Now THAT's...an owner!

That and it's one of the teams we are fighting with for that 8th spot.

Not really. Atlanta has all but taken themselves out of the race.

If Thrasher management is smart they will take the positives from the season and build on them instead of burning some assets at the trade deadline for a futile playoff push.

With the announcement of Terry Pegula as the new owner, I've noticed that Buffalo and it's players have been proving people wrong, showing that they do actually care (somewhat) - they have 13 goals in the last 2 games and are on quite a streak with an improving record. As the days go on, you can see them coming together as a team, inching themselves closer to a playoff spot. I can see them exploding and winning 8 or 9 straight and making a great playoff push. Could it be possible that a change in ownership can actually inspire players or an organization? Last time Buffalo changed its ownership we saw them make deep runs into the playoffs. Do you think we'll see it this year, or maybe in the near future? Hopefully it brings back good times like this:

So Pegula is poised to buy the Sabres. People wonder.... what will he do? How fast will he act? How quick can we expect a top-notch team?

These were a lot of the questions being asked in North Texas last summer when Nolan Ryan and friends jumped hurdle after hurdle to buy the Texas Rangers. I believe in the end he didn't get control of the team until after the trade deadline. The team made it to the World Series.

Now, I realize the Sabres are in a different situation, but I have, and will continue to have, high hopes that the new ownership will provide a bounce in the morale, effort and commitment of the Sabres. Win a game at a time... see how far you can get. :thumbsup:

As I previously stated my optimism will go up when Pegula takes over, and I see what transpires over the offseason in terms of the FO, coaching staff, and roster.

The rest of this year...expectations are ZERO.

[edited] This post was in another thread and got merged into this one. I have no idea who I was responding to. :doh:

Archived