Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

And wasn't Leonsis's first move as owner to go out and buy Jaromir Jagr? Then a few years later his team sucks and he lucks his way into winning the lottery and a no brainer building block in Ovechkin.

Looking at the free agent market you mentioned earlier, it seems that much more important to unload the vets this year for as many picks as possible. They can then turn around in the offseason and use those picks as trade fodder. They need to make themselves players in the trade market for RFAs like Parise.

Not only did Leonsis's team suck for awhile but the bone-headed contract given to Jagr hampered their ability to do anything about it. I'm excited to have a hockey fan as the new Sabres owner instead of a someone who was marginally interested in the sport to support his investment. I wouldn't expect any Jagr type moves from Pegula & I wouldn't be surprised if there is some griping on this board about his being deliberate in what he does. It will be nice though to have someone who doesn't set artificial internal caps & I think that will translate to FAs being more willing to come to Buffalo to play.

personally, i'm hoping against hope there's no yashin/dipietro type contracts involved in this new ownership. vanek's was pushing it, but it hasn't totally blown up in the franchise's face to any degree. granted, a guy like crosby comes along, i wouldn't mind so much, but it absolutely HAS to be a sure thing. outside of that, i suppose a fluid roster/financial structure will always allow for quick turnarounds if whatever is cookin' tastes bad. at this point, we as fans really don't know what pegs is going to be like as an owner, and only time will tell.

finger's crossed.

It's an exciting day. The future always looks so bright. Kinda like draft day when you're hoping that you're picks aren't busts. I'm hoping Pegula lives up to the hype that's been built around him (of course not due to his own self promotion). Can't wait for that first presser from Pegula. Wonder when it will happen...after the board approves? Hope he can be active behind the scenes starting now though. Maybe the on ice product will start performing better. Oh the dawning of a new age...so full of promise.

Archived