Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

Of anything I have recently read about this pending sale I hope it's this part that is 100% true.

This one made me wonder:

Pegula has been hushed because he feared his attempt to buy the franchise would fall through after one attempt failed several months ago.

I know I haven't been as active on here as I was in the past, but did I miss his first attempt to buy the team?

This one made me wonder:

I know I haven't been as active on here as I was in the past, but did I miss his first attempt to buy the team?

Yeah. another gem from Bucky. He won't feel the need to source that one out, either.

Also, he's reporting Pegula hopes to own the team in time to do things at the deadline. Source?

And note the very big leap in "facts" from his previous reporting that Pegula is said by sources to want to win multiple Cups to said by sources to want to be a perennial contender.

There's a fantastically detailed, real journalism piece in the News today on the history of violations and donations to politicians by Pegula's company. Every statement is sourced out. I wish the News had assigned real reporters to the Pegula buying the Sabres story.

Of anything I have recently read about this pending sale I hope it's this part that is 100% true.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully he has some sort of team put together already that is looking into the making moves at the trade deadline since he will likely only have a few days to get trades done if he doesn't officially become the owner if the board doesn't meet again until later in February.

It would be ideal for him and the fans but if changes are going to be coming next off season that will be a huge impact, I'll be happy if I have to wait.

Why do I get the feeling that Larry Quinn is trying to stall this or stop it from happening without it looking like he is the reason?

What possible reason could there be for a deal "breaking down" when Golisano could care less about hockey, stands to make a small fortune on the sale, and the guy who wants to buy has even more $$ than him and will meet Golisano's price, loves the Sabres, and wants to win cups with them?

The only issue I can see is that Quinn wants to snake his way into staying in charge and/or somehow being part of "ownership", which of course NO new owner is going to allow. You pay that kind of $$ you expect to run the team, not have some guy who is a financial lightweight with 5% ownership somehow calling all the shots.

Yeah, I wear tinfoil hats sometimes!

Yeah. another gem from Bucky. He won't feel the need to source that one out, either.

Also, he's reporting Pegula hopes to own the team in time to do things at the deadline. Source?

And note the very big leap in "facts" from his previous reporting that Pegula is said by sources to want to win multiple Cups to said by sources to want to be a perennial contender.

There's a fantastically detailed, real journalism piece in the News today on the history of violations and donations to politicians by Pegula's company. Every statement is sourced out. I wish the News had assigned real reporters to the Pegula buying the Sabres story.

Link to that article about the violations

ESPN's LeBrun says the new purchase price is $189 billion. Deal should be announced Thursday or Friday next week.

Obviously, Golisano really didn't want to sell and Pegula really did want to buy.

From the News article

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman would not speculate on when the deal, which includes $175 million for the Sabres and an additional $14 million in liabilities, would be completed. "

Why do I get the feeling that Larry Quinn is trying to stall this or stop it from happening without it looking like he is the reason?

What possible reason could there be for a deal "breaking down" when Golisano could care less about hockey, stands to make a small fortune on the sale, and the guy who wants to buy has even more $$ than him and will meet Golisano's price, loves the Sabres, and wants to win cups with them?

The only issue I can see is that Quinn wants to snake his way into staying in charge and/or somehow being part of "ownership", which of course NO new owner is going to allow. You pay that kind of $$ you expect to run the team, not have some guy who is a financial lightweight with 5% ownership somehow calling all the shots.

Yeah, I wear tinfoil hats sometimes!

No disagreements on Quinn's "character" and his desire to do whatever is best for LQ first, but who says the deal is breaking down? From all media reports it's full steam ahead so not sure where you are getting your info. Link, please.

No disagreements on Quinn's "character" and his desire to do whatever is best for LQ first, but who says the deal is breaking down? From all media reports it's full steam ahead so not sure where you are getting your info. Link, please.

I meant the reference to Pegula's previous bid "breaking down" in the news article

I think they were referring to the previous attempt (alluded to in the Buffalo News Gleason article, that gives no factual basis / or a quoted person), that this is Pegula's second attempt at purchasing the team... Link

Specifically:

"Pegula has been hushed because he feared his attempt to buy the franchise would fall through after one attempt failed several months ago."

Could you point out the information that is not public record that is "sourced out?" And any quotes that aren't from publicity seeking left wing tree huggers would be appreciated as well.

Could you point out the information that is not public record that is "sourced out?" And any quotes that aren't from publicity seeking left wing tree huggers would be appreciated as well.

I will later. But it's Jello Social Day here and there's a bean bag toss at 3. I have to limber up.

I guess I don't understand why the public record as a source should be discarded when trying to point out a good piece of reporting. That was really the heart of the story -- the violations and the history of political contributions. Maybe I went overboard in my praise for the story. It was just refreshing to see things fleshed out. (And I still can't get over Bucky changing his "reporting" from Pegula allegedly wanting to win several Cups to wanting to be a contender every year.)

I don't know enough about the various environmental groups to either defend or criticize them. I live in the middle of this and the suggestion that they're "tree huggers" doesn't ring true. Some folks on the outskirts of my town had to fight to have city water lines installed because their water wells were polluted by gas drilling activity (not fracking). Some of their tap water was actually flammable.

There are legitimate environmental concerns here.

I guess I don't understand why the public record as a source should be discarded when trying to point out a good piece of reporting. That was really the heart of the story -- the violations and the history of political contributions. Maybe I went overboard in my praise for the story. It was just refreshing to see things fleshed out. (And I still can't get over Bucky changing his "reporting" from Pegula allegedly wanting to win several Cups to wanting to be a contender every year.)

I don't know enough about the various environmental groups to either defend or criticize them. I live in the middle of this and the suggestion that they're "tree huggers" doesn't ring true. Some folks on the outskirts of my town had to fight to have city water lines installed because their water wells were polluted by gas drilling activity (not fracking). Some of their tap water was actually flammable.

There are legitimate environmental concerns here.

My only point is that you made some statements in your post that just weren't true. There just weren't "sourced" quotes throughout the story, just a couple of quotes from people that have as much of an agenda as Pegula and his company have. In addition, the reporter decides that the difference in the violations per well is "significant" without really backing that adjective up. If Bucky were to write that Miller's save percentage of .923 was significantly better then goalie X's .920, you would go to great lengths to argue that the difference wasn't "significant."

And quite frankly, I don't see much difference between wanting to win multiple Cups to wanting to be a contender every year.

On a personal point, I'm glad to have some time to debate this with you. I've missed it.

My only point is that you made some statements in your post that just weren't true. There just weren't "sourced" quotes throughout the story, just a couple of quotes from people that have as much of an agenda as Pegula and his company have. In addition, the reporter decides that the difference in the violations per well is "significant" without really backing that adjective up. If Bucky were to write that Miller's save percentage of .923 was significantly better then goalie X's .920, you would go to great lengths to argue that the difference wasn't "significant."

And quite frankly, I don't see much difference between wanting to win multiple Cups to wanting to be a contender every year.

On a personal point, I'm glad to have some time to debate this with you. I've missed it.

Yes, the word "significantly," referring to Pegula's company vs. other large operators, could have been fleshed out.

I enjoy the debate too. Not sure I can get fired up enough to continue this one. I am glad this story was written. Let's get everything on the table about the new owner. If this is the worst information to be had about the guy -- that his company had some violations and he contributes money to politicians, his right as an American -- we're fine. By no means do I think he sits in his SUV and cackles maniacally while twisting his thin mustache as Mother Earth is raped.

Let's just say, if Nick Bakay were to scan this forum....now would be a good time to go to the Tale of the Tape.

Larry Quinn vs. Osama bin Laden

Body Hair:

bin Laden - A patriarchal salt and pepper beard that is the envy of Muslims worldwide

Quinn - Finally just growing some stubble back after having his chest shaven by a 280lb nurse

Advantage: bin Laden

Headwear:

bin Laden - A pristine white, well kempt turban

Quinn - 30 boxes of slug hats he can't get rid of

Land Developing:

bin Laden - Oversees a mountainous range consisting of primitive housing and goat herders

Quinn - Buffalo

Advantage: Push

Most Trustworthy Employee:

bin Laden - Khalid Shaikh Mohammed

Quinn - Ryan Miller

Advantage: Quinn

Public Appearances:

bin Laden - Hides in a cave for months at a time, avoiding attention and angry Americans while sending out a propaganda piece through Al Jazeera every 8 months

Quinn - Hides in his office for months at a time, avoiding attention and angry Buffalonians while sending out a propaganda piece through John Wawrow every 8 months

Advantage: bin Laden (it takes more skill to avoid a predator drone than to avoid a drunken Kaisertown blowhard)

Pets:

bin Laden - A goat

Quinn - Darcy

Greatest Geopolitical Accomplishment:

bin Laden - Single handedly led a ragtag group of tribesmen against the Soviet Union and was able to turn them back

Quinn - Was able to score tickets in the Golds to watch the Sabres defeat the Soviets thanks to Jimmy Griffin's brother

Air transportation:

bin Laden - Now on the no-fly list

Quinn - Can't find a flight to Raleigh

Advantage: Quinn

Biggest Regret:

bin Laden - Not accepting the love of his family, forcing him into the life of a loaner who is always on the run

Quinn - Bass Pro

What He Does for Fun:

bin Laden - Meditates on the everlasting paradise awaiting for him in the next realm

Quinn - Ronan Tynan

So there you have it.......after looking at all the facts...it is as clear as can be. Osama bin Laden is by far the better man over Larry Quinn.

*Author makes post in satirical manner*Any similarities to the actual Tale of the Tape is intended solely for the well-being of Buffalonians*

Awesome.

I'm sure you're talking about the idea of him being in control before the trade deadline, but one part of that comment was pretty stupid. It implies that moving contracts that expire this year is going to free up cap space for next year. I'd love to know how that's possible. The rest is fine, but head scratchers like that really make you question anything else that is written.

Archived