Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/4029/watch-burnside-and-lebruns-bog-report

Burnside and LeBrun speak for about a minute about the sale. Their smiles/giggles says it all imo...

Quinn is a TOOL! They ended their discussion with noting that no Sabres representative was there, Larry Quinn having a travel conflict...

I will always gives thanks for Galisano stepping in & saving the franchise (and apparently he will make some serious funds out of it, and perhaps one day can be a part of saving the Buffalo Bills franchise??). But Quinn... Will not be sorry when his meddling hands are off of the organization!

GO SABRES!!

Bettman says deal "not yet near done." Declined to speculate about an agreement being announced next week, "or...ever."

Answering a question about Quebec, he said, "I don't want anyone to get excited."

The presser certainly had that effect on me.

Bettman says deal "not yet near done." Declined to speculate about an agreement being announced next week, "if ever."

Answering a question about Quebec, he said, "I don't want anyone to get excited."

He has to be careful what he says.

For all the crap Bettman takes he has certainly done a good job as Commissioner. The league has shown a willingness to try new things and really thik outside the box. I am really surprised that the NBA hasn't copied some of the more recent ideas. Certainly an outdoor NBA game would draw some attention. If any league's All-Star Game could use a school yard style draft it's the NBA.

Quinn is a TOOL! They ended their discussion with noting that no Sabres representative was there, Larry Quinn having a travel conflict...

I will always gives thanks for Galisano stepping in & saving the franchise (and apparently he will make some serious funds out of it, and perhaps one day can be a part of saving the Buffalo Bills franchise??). But Quinn... Will not be sorry when his meddling hands are off of the organization!

GO SABRES!!

So we know Larry Quinn sucks at running a hockey team. Does anyone know if he's any good as a business man and land developer? Is there any proof of his prowess in either of these areas?

I really think the only reason he's considered "successful" as a land developer is that he's from Buffalo, where building a new Tim Horton's is considered a big deal.

(But I'm sure the new waterfront is really going to look spectacular once it's finished in 2058.)

Bettman says deal "not yet near done." Declined to speculate about an agreement being announced next week, "if ever."

Please tell me someone is trying to bring back the Nordiques. Hockey was about 1000x cooler when they existed.

Did you ever read Swados' book? Counsel in the Crease. I read some of it in a bookstore. Looks to be the most serious book written about the Sabres. I am embarrassed to say I didn't buy it.

One part talks about an encounter Swados had with Bettman in the finals. Sabres had taken a ton of penalties in game 1 and of course won. Swados said something like "Adversity overcome," to which Bettman said, "Adversity deserved." Not sure i have that perfectly right, but the disdain for Bettman was clear.

I read it. Not the best writing (and too much about himself), but a lot of interesting stuff about the formation of the team and the first 15 years or so of the franchise.

ESPN's LeBrun says the new purchase price is $189 billion. Deal should be announced Thursday or Friday next week.

Obviously, Golisano really didn't want to sell and Pegula really did want to buy.

You are joking, right?

Pegula must really want to own this team.... :clapping:

Indeed. That is a pretty rich price. One assumes he isn't plunking down that many potatoes if he doesn't really like hockey and, by extension, really want to own a good team.

Holy cow I really hope he's good at this...

He has to be careful what he says.

For all the crap Bettman takes he has certainly done a good job as Commissioner. The league has shown a willingness to try new things and really thik outside the box. I am really surprised that the NBA hasn't copied some of the more recent ideas. Certainly an outdoor NBA game would draw some attention. If any league's All-Star Game could use a school yard style draft it's the NBA.

Good call.

Obviously, Golisano really didn't want to sell

:unsure:

So we know Larry Quinn sucks at running a hockey team.

i always wanted him far away from hockey decisions, but when it came to making the team a financial success (no small thing in a market like ours) and improving the in-game experience, i always gave him solid marks.

So we know Larry Quinn sucks at running a hockey team. Does anyone know if he's any good as a business man and land developer? Is there any proof of his prowess in either of these areas?

I really think the only reason he's considered "successful" as a land developer is that he's from Buffalo, where building a new Tim Horton's is considered a big deal.

(But I'm sure the new waterfront is really going to look spectacular once it's finished in 2058.)

Not that I care, but he made some money somewhere, and it certainly wasn't in hockey.

I don't know if he inherited a land development business or not, but I do know that he is considered to be a "player" in Buffalo business circles, and I also know that that has nothing to do with the team.

Not that I care, but he made some money somewhere, and it certainly wasn't in hockey.

I don't know if he inherited a land development business or not, but I do know that he is considered to be a "player" in Buffalo business circles, and I also know that that has nothing to do with the team.

Don't worry....he's already licking his chops for Pegula to sink some money into a few projects in the city where he can set up another $10 million here or there of taxpayer money to funnel in to him and his pals as they build a beautiful Home Depot wood bridge over the canal and drop a couple $500,000 blocks of cement on the walkway and engrave them to show you where Sal the mule took a dump along the 15 miles.

So we have a "player" in the city where businesses go to die (or, more specifically, relocate from). And you think this has nothing to do with the team?

My take is that the Hockey Gods are smiling upon us. We have had enough of Golisano and Bettman knows and likes Pegula. We win. The next no goal situation goes our way.

Long time reader, 1st time poster...

Sorry to step slightly off topic for a moment, however: I feel it is my civic duty to jump on board here and please ask the original poster, GoBillsInDallas, (or one of the moderators) if he/she/they could so kindly move the question mark in the title of this thread one space to the left. With the vast ongoing popularity of this thread and the potential of powerful people perusing it, this subtle (yet strangely jarring) typographical error has caused this rather important piece of punctuation to float out there all naked and alone for over a month; quite literally disconnected from the word 'sold' that it craves so desperately to be fully questioning. You may or may not even realize how this is directly or subliminally impacting your perception of this (hopefully) impending sale, but I put forth that the moving of said question mark into its correct location could very well have a calming and soothing affect that carries us right into the warm and loving embrace of our new glorious owner: His Majesty The Duke of Fracking, Terry Pegula.

And yes, please: let this Pennsyltuckian Daddy War(Memorial)Bucks come rescue our rudderless ship!

And with that, I will now fade back into the ether to continue the fun sport of studying SabreSpace from afar.

Thanks so much and keep up the fascinating hyperbole!

Thank you, James Joyce. Your love of the English language is deeply appreciated here on this hockey forum, I'm sure.

Honestly, I haven't been reading the board long enough (or closely enough) to keep track of what everyone's take on Quinn is. So I don't know what your other posts said about him.

Let's just say, if Nick Bakay were to scan this forum....now would be a good time to go to the Tale of the Tape.

Larry Quinn vs. Osama bin Laden

Body Hair:

bin Laden - A patriarchal salt and pepper beard that is the envy of Muslims worldwide

Quinn - Finally just growing some stubble back after having his chest shaven by a 280lb nurse

Advantage: bin Laden

Headwear:

bin Laden - A pristine white, well kempt turban

Quinn - 30 boxes of slug hats he can't get rid of

Land Developing:

bin Laden - Oversees a mountainous range consisting of primitive housing and goat herders

Quinn - Buffalo

Advantage: Push

Most Trustworthy Employee:

bin Laden - Khalid Shaikh Mohammed

Quinn - Ryan Miller

Advantage: Quinn

Public Appearances:

bin Laden - Hides in a cave for months at a time, avoiding attention and angry Americans while sending out a propaganda piece through Al Jazeera every 8 months

Quinn - Hides in his office for months at a time, avoiding attention and angry Buffalonians while sending out a propaganda piece through John Wawrow every 8 months

Advantage: bin Laden (it takes more skill to avoid a predator drone than to avoid a drunken Kaisertown blowhard)

Pets:

bin Laden - A goat

Quinn - Darcy

Greatest Geopolitical Accomplishment:

bin Laden - Single handedly led a ragtag group of tribesmen against the Soviet Union and was able to turn them back

Quinn - Was able to score tickets in the Golds to watch the Sabres defeat the Soviets thanks to Jimmy Griffin's brother

Air transportation:

bin Laden - Now on the no-fly list

Quinn - Can't find a flight to Raleigh

Advantage: Quinn

Biggest Regret:

bin Laden - Not accepting the love of his family, forcing him into the life of a loaner who is always on the run

Quinn - Bass Pro

What He Does for Fun:

bin Laden - Meditates on the everlasting paradise awaiting for him in the next realm

Quinn - Ronan Tynan

So there you have it.......after looking at all the facts...it is as clear as can be. Osama bin Laden is by far the better man over Larry Quinn.

*Author makes post in satirical manner*Any similarities to the actual Tale of the Tape is intended solely for the well-being of Buffalonians*

Prospective Sabres buyer wows panel

"He was very impressive," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said. "He's down to earth, he's normal and he spoke about his passion for the game. He spoke about his passion for the Sabres and about this being a lifelong dream to own the Sabres and operate them. And he talked about his vision for the future."

Pegula built his $3 billion fortune through East Resources, a natural gas and oil company he sold for $4.7 billion last year. He donated $88 million to Penn State, enough for a new ice arena to start Division I hockey programs for his alma mater. Sources have said repeatedly he wants to build a perennial Stanley Cup contender in Buffalo.

"He has some pretty substantial resources behind the club and making it successful long term," Daly said. "He wants to see it be successful on the ice. It was a good session."

Pegula, 59, was hoping to close on the Sabres before the NHL trade deadline Feb. 28, which would give him a head start on shaping the franchise's immediate future while giving him a jump on next season. It was not clear Saturday whether he would be able to succeed in that mission.

Ok, where is the sports ###### emoticon?

edit: ok, filter gets common slang for erection apparently.

Buffalo has several players who are in the final years of their contracts and could be traded with the idea management would have more room to operate under the salary cap next season. The Sabres have struggled for most of the season before going on a 9-3-1 run before the All-Star break.

Of anything I have recently read about this pending sale I hope it's this part that is 100% true.

Honestly, I haven't been reading the board long enough (or closely enough) to keep track of what everyone's take on Quinn is. So I don't know what your other posts said about him.

I'm not a fan. So I'm not sure where your other comment was headed. No matter.

Archived