Round 1: Sabres vs. Bruins

Assquatch

I don't think PA was talking about a beer or two. But I'll say this: if he's right, then I've seen a LOT of fake Sabres fans at playoff games, both at the Arena and at area establishments.

Yep, they're everywhere. Seriously, would you want to be drunk during a Cup-clinching Sabres game? I know the answer is no, because you're a real fan.

I will refrain from the thrilling roller coaster ride of an argument regarding whether true fans may "drink a beer or two" or "get hammered" during playoff games, but I will ask the mods to step in and pin one of the Bruins playoff threads (probably this one) so that the other ones can fade away. Otherwise, the stress will make me need to tie one one.

Yep, they're everywhere. Seriously, would you want to be drunk during a Cup-clinching Sabres game? I know the answer is no, because you're a real fan.

I actually thought this through last week when considering what a live game 7 would be like (I've never been to a game 7). I'm not sure I could handle the anxiety during a Cup-clinching game, or any game 7, without some form of liquid assistance, but I would not want to be drunk. But there will be plenty of people who are drunk at the playoff games. Some of them probably aren't real fans. But a lot of them are.

Lindy had his 1 pm presser behind the podium with the Stanley Cup banners behind him. Full Playoff Mode. FPM !

Updated injury situation:

Coach Lindy Ruff said today that he's "optimistic" that center Tim Connolly will be ready for Game One against the Boston Bruins after the center skated on his own over the weekend for the first time since he was injured late last month. And Ruff is not ruling out Jochen Hecht or Drew Stafford either. So where does that leave rookie Tyler Ennis?

Said Ruff: "We'll have to make that decision based on Hecht and Connolly and Stafford being available to play."

Ruff also said he's not made any decision regarding Chris Butler and Andrej Sekera. The struggling young defensemen have been alternating in recent games.

linkage

Lindy had his 1 pm presser behind the podium with the Stanley Cup banners behind him. Full Playoff Mode. FPM !

Updated injury situation:

Coach Lindy Ruff said today that he's "optimistic" that center Tim Connolly will be ready for Game One against the Boston Bruins after the center skated on his own over the weekend for the first time since he was injured late last month. And Ruff is not ruling out Jochen Hecht or Drew Stafford either. So where does that leave rookie Tyler Ennis?

Said Ruff: "We'll have to make that decision based on Hecht and Connolly and Stafford being available to play."

Ruff also said he's not made any decision regarding Chris Butler and Andrej Sekera. The struggling young defensemen have been alternating in recent games.

linkage

Looks good, I like I like - does not sound like anything too major for Connolly or Hecht.

Looks good, I like I like - does not sound like anything too major for Connolly or Hecht.

I wouldn't take what Ruff says three days before a playoff game to the bank. I remember against the Sens in 06 when the Tin Man got smoked. Ruff said he was hoping to have him back for Game 3. Tim never returned that year. Ruff is the same guy that doesn't always disclose injuries in November. I'll believe it when I see him out there.

I wouldn't take what Ruff says three days before a playoff game to the bank. I remember against the Sens in 06 when the Tin Man got smoked. Ruff said he was hoping to have him back for Game 3. Tim never returned that year. Ruff is the same guy that doesn't always disclose injuries in November. I'll believe it when I see him out there.

Well he is on the ice practicing so that is a pretty good sign to me...

To any Boston area posters:

Let's get in touch if you don't have tickets already. Earlier today there were plenty left, so I'm headed to the Fleet Center (yeah, I still call it that) tomorrow to pick up tickets. If anyone wants in, let me know. I can pick up a few extra. I don't want to go too crazy though. My credit card bill is already pretty stressed from the frozen four. Post here, PM me, whatever you want.

curious as to why an afternoon game in Buffalo. I heard the announcers say they Bruins played the most matinee affairs in the league. I don't remember the Sabres in too many. I've never thought they played well in the afternoon.

the Bruins will be more accustomed to the routine of an afternoon game and I'm wonderin if this does a lot to even out home-ice advantage.

curious as to why an afternoon game in Buffalo. I heard the announcers say they Bruins played the most matinee affairs in the league. I don't remember the Sabres in too many. I've never thought they played well in the afternoon.

the Bruins will be more accustomed to the routine of an afternoon game and I'm wonderin if this does a lot to even out home-ice advantage.

Miller got used to it during the Olympics. I think I even heard Ron Wilson complain about the number of afternoon games they had.

Seriously? <_<

It's so all the non-hockey fans in Buffalo don't have too much time before the game to get hammered and the Boston fans can make evening mass. The NHL is looking out for all of us.

Let's get in touch if you don't have tickets already. Earlier today there were plenty left, so I'm headed to the Fleet Center (yeah, I still call it that) tomorrow to pick up tickets. If anyone wants in, let me know. I can pick up a few extra. I don't want to go too crazy though. My credit card bill is already pretty stressed from the frozen four. Post here, PM me, whatever you want.

I'd wait until game 4 when the Bruins are down 0-3. There will be Bruins playoff tickets littering Causeway St.

PTR

Has LQ written and filmed and edited the maudlin playoff video yet? Can't wait to see and hear this year's tear-jerker. I STILL blame "Better Days" for the disapppointment of 2007. Get these guys fired up... don't put the hopes and dreams of an entire region on their shoulders. Too much pressure!

I'm a Boston area poster but will watch the games on TV (with the sound turned off). Not interested in rattling my jewelry at the Fleet unless I get freebies, but would love to get together with some Sabres fans.

I'd wait until game 4 when the Bruins are down 0-3. There will be Bruins playoff tickets littering Causeway St.

PTR

Love the optimism! C'mon, Promo, join us for Game 4 - I'll even give you a ride from Manch. Shrader's going for the tix today...

I'll say this much, a lot of talk around here has the Bruins as the favorite for a first round upset victory. (I'm not even counting Detroit..picking them as an 'upset' would be like taking Mario Lemieux as a 'sleeper' when he missed most of the year with injury)

But, as I get ready for hockey pools, the lack of respect for Buffalo could come in handy. the first 4 rounds of any draft are gonna see, wings, sharks, caps, devils, penguins, hawks and canucks gone. no one wants to touch buffalo. There will be prime Sabres in late rounds and its a great gamble to do something like guess for a Hawks sabres final...pick all Hawks early, and know you'll still get the best Sabres in late rounds. Even conference finals for both teams could land a guy a hockey draft win.

then again, I'm out in Western Canada...I'd imagine all you buffalo citizens will always encounter guys willing to take Sabres in early rounds no matter what,

Great news on the injury front. According to Mike Harrington, these are the lines at practice this morning:

Ennis-Connolly-Pominville

Kennedy-Roy-Vanek

Gaustad-Mair-Grier/Hecht

Kaleta-Ellis-Torres/Gerbe

Sabres Edge Blog at Buffalo News

Very nice. So if TC and Hecht are both back, 2 guys need to sit. I think Gerbe will be one of them and I'm guessing that Mair will be the other, leaving Ennis in the lineup at least for game 1. So:

TC-Ennis-Pommer

Roy-Vanek-Kennedy

Gaustad-Grier-Hecht

Ellis-Torres-Kaleta

If Ennis can mesh with TC and Pommer, and Roy's line can keep pouring it on, the Sabres will advance.

Archived