Round 1: Sabres vs. Bruins

Assquatch

Everyone talking about how good Rask is..blah...blah...blah... He'll crack IMO.

FWIW, Rask has 6 of his 22 wins against playoff teams. Miller has 17 of his 41 against playoff teams.

I'll take a 41.4% win rate vs. 27.27% any day.

FWIW, Rask has 6 of his 22 wins against playoff teams. Miller has 17 of his 41 against playoff teams.

Miller 17-12-6 against playoff teams

That's Under .500 for anyone keeping track

If you're looking for a flaw in Ryan Miller's stats, you're looking in the wrong place. He earned 40 out of 82 possible points against playoff teams and 50 out of 64 possible points against non-playoff points.

Last time I checked, going .500 against the playoff teams and beating up the non-playoff teams was the main recipe for success in pretty much every sport ever played.

Looks good, I like I like - does not sound like anything too major for Connolly or Hecht.

Connolly's already been out for two+ weeks. I wouldn't consider that a minor injury. ;)

Well he is on the ice practicing so that is a pretty good sign to me...

Very nice. So if TC and Hecht are both back, 2 guys need to sit. I think Gerbe will be one of them and I'm guessing that Mair will be the other, leaving Ennis in the lineup at least for game 1. So:

TC-Ennis-Pommer

Roy-Vanek-Kennedy

Gaustad-Grier-Hecht

Ellis-Torres-Kaleta

If Ennis can mesh with TC and Pommer, and Roy's line can keep pouring it on, the Sabres will advance.

Snooze has another story on Timmay. Looking good for Game One. Let's face it, we need him.

Snooze has another story on Timmay. Looking good for Game One. Let's face it, we need him.

Good find.

The more I look at this series, the more I believe the Sabres will bury the Bs. I don't see it going more than 5. Rask is completely unproven in the playoffs (yes, it matters), and Boston doesn't score. Oh yeah -- Vanek knows how to find the net again.

Pominville better be ready for all of those passes coming his way from both Ennis and Connolly.

Good call. Pommer the down-low triggerman from a couple of years ago has been MIA too often. This is going to be a tight series and he needs to bury his chances.

I'm not going to overlook Rask. Have we all forgotten some rookie goaltender in 05-06 by the name of Cam Ward?

So what are the other 15 goalies like?

Brodeur 23-13-5

Theodore 14-4-4

Elliot 18-9-2

Niemi 12-3-4

Nabakov 19-9-7

Luongo 21-11-3

Howard 19-5-5

Bryzgolov 19-11-5

Rinne 14-9-3

Miller 17-12-6

Quick 17-14-4

Halak 9-8-2

Fleury 15-13-4

Anderson 16-14-5

Rask 7-5-5

Boucher 4-10-2

1 Horrible (PHI)

2 Bad (BOS, COL)

6 Middle of pack (BUF,LA,MON,PIT,NASH,PHO)

3 Good (SJ,VAN,NJ)

4 Great (WASH,OTT,NASH,DET)

Notice anything????

Miller and Fleury were the only 2 to underplay their seeding.

Last time I looked.....Miller doesn't have Crosby and Malkin

If you're looking for a flaw in Ryan Miller's stats, you're looking in the wrong place. He earned 40 out of 82 possible points against playoff teams and 50 out of 64 possible points against non-playoff points.

Last time I checked, going .500 against the playoff teams and beating up the non-playoff teams was the main recipe for success in pretty much every sport ever played.

Ummm....... If you aren't .500 against playoff teams, that means statistically speaking.....you will lose in the 1st round.

Your line of reasoning sounds like something a girl's soccer coach would tell his players to prevent them from crying before their first playoff game.

I'm not going to overlook Rask. Have we all forgotten some rookie goaltender in 05-06 by the name of Cam Ward?

The HUGE difference is that Ward significantly outplayed his regular season stats and had one of those "dream" playoff runs. I don't think anyone expected him to carry the Canes, and therefore he didn't have the same sort of pressure.

05-06 Reg Season: 3.68 , .882 (atrocious)

05-06 Playoffs: 2.14, .920 (world class)

Ward is the rare goalie who does actually "turn it up" in the postseason.

Career Reg Season: 2.79, .905

Career Playoffs: 2.38, .917

Overlook Rask? No. Fear him? Also no.

Sorry for this off topic question, but curious to know what the playoff ticket prices were for round one for season ticket holders - were they the same as the mini-pack holder price (2 bucks off box office) or was it lower? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for this off topic question, but curious to know what the playoff ticket prices were for round one for season ticket holders - were they the same as the mini-pack holder price (2 bucks off box office) or was it lower? Thanks in advance.

For 300 section seats, it was about 200 bucks (total) for round 1+2 (together).

Goalies records against playoff teams and non playoff teams is an over rated stat simply because some of those teams either made or missed the playoffs by mere points which does'nt seperate their ability by very much.Also some of the wins or losses were by shootout which technically made the 2 teams competing on any given night equal.Just sayin

It's late, but someone help me with my math. This is a total 40 points out of a possible 70. That's over .500 :blink: Doesn't that make the rest of the comments on this post moot?

Ummm....... If you aren't .500 against playoff teams, that means statistically speaking.....you will lose in the 1st round.

Your line of reasoning sounds like something a girl's soccer coach would tell his players to prevent them from crying before their first playoff game.

As for this post...where's your logic in that? The numbers would have suggested (had Miller actually been under .500) that we wouldn't win the cup, but the first round? I don't agree with that statement at all. Heck, if you wanted to play with numbers you could end up with a situation where all but a few teams in the playoffs have a losing record to playoff teams. That would mean that less than 4 teams would move beyond the first round. Or another way to look at it...A 4 & 5 seed could both be over or under .500 against playoff teams. What happens then?

Even NHL.com can't get their facts straight:

"Plus, Boston has traditionally fared well against Buffalo in the postseason. The Sabres won the 1999 Eastern Conference semis, but has lost the other five series between the two teams."

Hey, eball, where's your Stanley Golf Bag trophy avatar? After all, it's only fitting that the Maple Leafs win it again. They've been perennial champions since 1968.

As for NHL.com, I wonder if Gary wrote that.

FWIW, the NHL Network had its EC playoff preview show tonight (it was pretty decent, btw), and in the "predictions" segment, both of the analysts predicted Boston to win. Eeeeeesh.

NO surprise there! Buttman casts a long shadow on his minions!

Won't matter! GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

It's late, but someone help me with my math. This is a total 40 points out of a possible 70. That's over .500 :blink: Doesn't that make the rest of the comments on this post moot?

His point is that in the playoffs, the overtime loss is a loss (points don't mean diddly any longer). So Miller is 17-18, hence under .500.

Miller 17-12-6

His point is that in the playoffs, the overtime loss is a loss (points don't mean diddly any longer). So Miller is 17-18, hence under .500.

True OTLs, yes. You can't lump in the shootout losses though.

Archived