Round 1: Sabres vs. Bruins

Assquatch

Lindy did it again! In his presser he mentioned two offensive players being out and others not in their best shape and said "We're going to struggle to score goals." Reminds me of his comments early in the Rangers series when he said the Sabres weren't going to score much on Lundqvist.

Way to really plant a negative idea in your team's head. Smart, very smart.

Nothing more than excuse-making if you ask me. Let the record show that Lindy is the first one in the organization to blame the first-round defeat on injuries.

If Lindy Ruff can't get this team ready for a regular season game why would we expect him to get this team ready for the playoffs.

I'm not worried about the Sabres offense. I hear that the Sabres have talked Tampa Bay into a game tomorrow to pad their offensive/power play stats.

This team just isn't good enough nor does it care enough to beat the Bruins in a series. I don't see what Ruff can do in the next 44.5 hours to change that.

Lindy did it again! In his presser he mentioned two offensive players being out and others not in their best shape and said "We're going to struggle to score goals." Reminds me of his comments early in the Rangers series when he said the Sabres weren't going to score much on Lundqvist.

Way to really plant a negative idea in your team's head. Smart, very smart.

Nothing more than excuse-making if you ask me. Let the record show that Lindy is the first one in the organization to blame the first-round defeat on injuries.

I know you think this isn't very Lindy-like, but what if he's trying reverse psychology? He says publicly that they're going to struggle to score in order to rile them up?

OK, OK...maybe not. But it sounds like everyone here is making the excuses before the series is even over. Remember when we were all happy (not "we just won the Cup" elated, but happy) after Game 1? Yeah...didn't think so.

It's 2-1, not 3-1. I don't care what Lindy or anyone says right after the game. I thought they played well enough to win last night and I think they can win Game 4. If they don't, then I might join the negative nellies around here. Until then, nothing is over.

I'll repeat a couple of things from this season and the start of the playoffs...

1. Except for Miller, Myers and Kaleta, this team is forgettable and very unlikeable(players, coaches and front office).

2. I set the bar low for the playoffs and so far they have not disappointed.

That being said, the two losses have been 1 goal games and a win(along with some strong play) tomorrow will go a long way towards righting the ship.

In that second game it was frustrating watching them get it within 10 feet of the blueline and simply hand it over to the bruins.Chip the damn puck out.

and and after you chip it in you recover it how. :D you a right, failing to carry the puck in against their trap twenty times in a row is a bit much.

Sorry to play on anyone's deepest, darkest fears -- dying alone and penniless, getting cancer, losing a playoff series -- but the Buffalo franchise has never, in 12 times, come back from a 2-1 series deficit. In the Ruff era, only the Pittsburgh series in '01 can offer much hope. The Sabres lost the first two games at home and won the next three before... :censored:

I'll repeat a couple of things from this season and the start of the playoffs...

1. Except for Miller, Myers and Kaleta, this team is forgettable and very unlikeable(players, coaches and front office).

Kaleta? What exactly has he done? If you told me he wasn't even in the lineup last night, I'd believe you.

Looking at the numbers through three games:

Surprisingly, the Sabres lead in hits, 128-114, and the Sabres have blocked 10 more shots. If you're trying to quantify "desperation," the Sabres have done well.

Here are the problem areas IMHO.

0-12 on the PP

47 giveaway to Boston's 19

Boston has won 56, 53 and 58% of the draws in the three games

The latter two have created so much possession time for Boston and the appearance that the Sabres are being dominated despite the close games.

I'm really glad there's not a missed pass stat. I would like to see zone possession time counted. They're doing it on the Pittsburgh broadcast.

Kaleta? What exactly has he done? If you told me he wasn't even in the lineup last night, I'd believe you.

I'm talking about the entire season, not one game. In addition, you know Lindy's motto..."Don't hit because you take yourself out of position". He actually brought this up again after game one.

Surprisingly, the Sabres lead in hits, 128-114, and the Sabres have blocked 10 more shots. If you're trying to quantify "desperation," the Sabres have done well.

0-12 on the PP

The latter two have created so much possession time for Boston and the appearance that the Sabres are being dominated despite the close games.

I'm really glad there's not a missed pass stat. I would like to see zone possession time counted. They're doing it on the Pittsburgh broadcast.

The Bruins hits and blocked shots are lower than the Sabres' because the Sabres would have to have the puck for them to do either.

I agree, but I'd like to see him get more ice time.

0-12 on the PP

good post.

Just looking at the series as i try to step back....the Bruins seem faster and despite the stats, they are outhitting Buffalo. When a Sabres player delivers a hit, he bounces off. When Boston delivers a hit it really rattles us. I hate that Buffalo is small and not necessarily a fast team anymore. Miller gets his accolades but we could've used him to "steal" game #2. I still have not seen him carry the team ala Brodeur for many seasons. I thought the Sabres effort in game #3 was better but Boston just looks like the better team imo.

Sorry to play on anyone's deepest, darkest fears -- dying alone and penniless, getting cancer, losing a playoff series -- but the Buffalo franchise has never, in 12 times, come back from a 2-1 series deficit. In the Ruff era, only the Pittsburgh series in '01 can offer much hope. The Sabres lost the first two games at home and won the next three before... :censored:

So...you're just saying that they're due?

:unsure:

Good point! I love (hate) this board. Someone's always making me think!

you actually need a rate if you are going to quantify something like this that is more meaningful to what you see.

Hey PA have you seen this yet?

http://www.wgr550.com/No-Vanek-yet--Ruff-gives-up-on-power-plays-in-this/6851645

Lindy Ruff has given up on either team scoring with the extra man. Ruff said, "I don't think with the way both teams kill, I don't really anticipate anybody breaking through. I think them missing a Savard who makes those special plays and us without Vanek in front of the net hurts ours so I don't expect that."

http://www.wgr550.com/No-Vanek-yet--Ruff-gives-up-on-power-plays-in-this/6851645

Lindy Ruff has given up on either team scoring with the extra man. Ruff said, "I don't think with the way both teams kill, I don't really anticipate anybody breaking through. I think them missing a Savard who makes those special plays and us without Vanek in front of the net hurts ours so I don't expect that."

Makes me think of Bart's line to Homer, "Gotcha. Can't win, don't try."

Just looking at the series as i try to step back....the Bruins seem faster and despite the stats, they are outhitting Buffalo. When a Sabres player delivers a hit, he bounces off. When Boston delivers a hit it really rattles us. I hate that Buffalo is small and not necessarily a fast team anymore. Miller gets his accolades but we could've used him to "steal" game #2. I still have not seen him carry the team ala Brodeur for many seasons. I thought the Sabres effort in game #3 was better but Boston just looks like the better team imo.

I dont think Boston is a better team, but they are defiantly playing with more heart and against a very undersized team that is lacking a lot of effort and passion. Truthfully I wanna belive but I just dont think that the Sabres will come back in this series and if that is the case serious changes need to be made. They need to bring is big consistent scorers and stop simply building from within crap. We have great young players. Myers is the future of the Sabres, Ennis although undersized has a lot of talent, Kaleta and Kennedy play hard every shift. All other players (except of course Miller) need to be considered as possible trade bait is the summer.

http://www.wgr550.co...in-this/6851645

Yeah. I don't know why Lindy says stuff like this. I really don't. Maybe somebody can get him on some antidepressants. Seriously, how does this inspire his team?

Having said that, Hamilton really botched his reporting on this. Lindy wasn't saying he doesn't think there'll be anymore power play goals. He doesn't think either team will "break out" -- get hot. I say, why the ###### not.

0-12 on the PP

View PostDeLuca67, on 12 April 2010 - 10:05 AM, said:

Beating the Bruins is going to take a huge effort and will be no small accomplishment. They are #2 in face-offs and #3 in penalty killing right behind the Sabres. They also had the fourth least amount of turnovers in the league which can negate the Sabres transition game. The Bruins are the more physical team.

This may be the best possible match-up for the Sabres. Not in terms of ease. The Bruins are a physical team that will force the Sabres to step up their physical play. The Sabres will also have to play a smarter brand of hockey than they have for most of the year. Bad penalties and giving up odd man rushes will have the Sabres home early.

Some of us saw this coming while others were predicting the series to be over in 5 or 6 games.

Some of us saw this coming while others were predicting the series to be over in 5 or 6 games.

Right with you, Deluca. I still wonder why some people were saying "There's no reason the Sabres shouldn't sweep". I never expected anything less than 6 games for this series, regardless of who would win.

I mean, Miller is Miller, but you can't keep leaving him out to dry and expect to get away with it.

Archived