[OT] Spelling

inkman

Thanks you this, I just had to read through his post about 5 times before I found where he actually used "only". But then again, I did get hit in the head twice in a hockey game last night (and you people wonder why I'm so big on the eliminate hits to the head bandwagon).

Keep your head up if you don't want to get hit. ;)

Also, there is only one 's' in just deserts.

I'm pretty sure there are two s in deserts. (Of course now this thread has me worried about is it "two s" or "two s's.") (And now this thread has me worried about where the period should be with the parentheses.) (And now this thread has me worried about using the word "and" at the beginning of a sentence.)

Keep your head up if you don't want to get hit. ;)

It's more a case of a crappy skater who throws his arms up in the air at someone when he cant get out of the way. If my head was down, my neck would probably be broken right now because this guy was a wall. But that's a story for another thread in two days. And just to keep this on topic, I edited this post so that it has at least one typo in it (and I'm sure it is grammatically weak).

"I dedicate this post to my parents, Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul II" (that's a classic).

Great example, of what I am not sure. If the sentence is meant to imply your parents are MT & PJP, the comma should be replaced with a semi-colon. As written, you are thanking four people.

Did I mention that I really hated grammar, and that diagramming sentences was the bane of my existence in the 9th grade? Now, all these years later, I am debating grammar on a hockey message board. Unbelievable!

Great example, of what I am not sure. If the sentence is meant to imply your parents are MT & PJP, the comma should be replaced with a semi-colon. As written, you are thanking four people.

Did I mention that I really hated grammar, and that diagramming sentences was the bane of my existence in the 9th grade? Now, all these years later, I am debating grammar on a hockey message board. Unbelievable!

How do you know one parent wasn't a turkey baster?

"I dedicate this post to my parents, Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul II" (that's a classic).

Good example. But if you have to adhere to a certain stylebook, what are you supposed to do? Recast it, I guess. But why write something that's deliberately confusing?

I dedicate this post to Mother Theresa, Art Wander and my parents.

I dedicate this post to my parents, to Mother Theresa and to Art Wander.

Thanks you this, I just had to read through his post about 5 times before I found where he actually used "only". But then again, I did get hit in the head twice in a hockey game last night (and you people wonder why I'm so big on the eliminate hits to the head bandwagon).

And we are supposed to be able to notice a difference in the posts because ...

:P

• 1 month later...

Really? I thought a semi-colon was to join related sentences. Did you mean colon, maybe? A colon would make sense, but I don't see that usage very often in non-technical writing.

I nearly failed English because of diagramming sentences.

This thread is long overdue and pretty damn funny. I used to think I was the only Nazi who gave a damn about spelling & grammar. I think it's worse over at Two Bills Drive.

The "Buffalo apostrophe" - hilarious.

The Buffalo apostrophe.

Apostrophes are not used to make plurals. In other word's, this sentence is wrong. You have great seats for the game, not great seat's, and the team you are rooting for is the Sabres, not the Sabre's, and there is not a restaurant on William Street that has great soup's.

There is not a single word* in the English language for which the plural is formed by adding an apostrophe-s. Not one. Don't do it.

If you don't need to show possession, you probably do not need to use an apostrophe-s.

And yeah, there's a case where a possessive is formed without an apostrophe-s, too. It's tricky, but if you're attentive, you'll notice its presence here.

*Yeah, some people form the plurals of letters this way, e.g., "my son had three A's and two B's last semester," but those aren't words. And apparently, this confuses all of WNY.

• 8 months later...

Recently I've encountered a few words I hear mispronounced with regularity and I'm curious as to the nature. Is it local dialect? Is it regional affectation from heavy ethnic populations? Or do I just know a bunch of dumbasses? Here are the words:

Salsa- pronounced selsa

Since- pronounced sense

Milk- pronounced melk

Anyone encounter this?

Recently I've encountered a few words I hear mispronounced with regularity and I'm curious as to the nature. Is it local dialect? Is it regional affectation from heavy ethnic populations? Or do I just know a bunch of dumbasses? Here are the words:

Salsa- pronounced selsa

Since- pronounced sense

Milk- pronounced melk

Anyone encounter this?

I've encountered the last two as well. Annoying. So is "eggs," pronounced aigs.

Archived