[OT] Spelling

inkman

For God's sake people:

Connolly - it's two o's, get it right

loser, lose, losing - it's one o, losers

than - when comparing two things, this is how you spell it

ridiculous - this isn't that hard people

Any other spelling Nazis want to join in, please do.

Love the idea, inky.

Where - there is an "h" in it.

Resign - to quit.

Re-sign - to sign someone again.

Two that always make me cringe.

This is not spelling but it is could have and should have, not could of and should of. That always bothers me.

And for me, the Pièce de résistance of this thread. Good Lord, seeing someone use "should of" or "could of" is the written word's equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. When I read "the Sabres should of traded so-and-so" or "the Bills could of won if they..." I want to :wallbash:

YOUR SUCH A MORON.

You are = You're

I hate this one, too. My solution is to make sure that you use the following pronunciations when saying them out loud:

You're = "Yure" or at least "Yer"

Your = "Yor"

Do that and you are far less likely to type "your" when you shouldn't. You will also start to cringe a little when someone pronounces "you're" with a very strong "yor".

I've made no secret of the fact that I do this for a living ... that is, edit ... and most of this stuff drives me crazy in most any other setting ... but geez guys, LIGHTEN UP. It's a message board, we're not writing Supreme Court opinions. We're just talking here.

Typos happen. In conversation, we all at some point say "that" instead of "who" (as sizzle points out) even if we might not write it that way. We all say things like "Boston lost because THEY turned it over too much." Of course, it should be "... IT turned it over ..." if you say Boston and "THEY" if you say Bruins, but who cares? To me, this is one big conversation and I don't want to be all formal.

I am not saying you shouldn't be annoyed, some posts get pretty ugly, but I don't see the need to call people out on it ... what are you proving? Just sayin' ... when they start paying me to post here, I'll make sure I am turning in perfectly clean copy.

I've made no secret of the fact that I do this for a living ... that is, edit ... and most of this stuff drives me crazy in most any other setting ... but geez guys, LIGHTEN UP. It's a message board, we're not writing Supreme Court opinions. We're just talking here.

Typos happen. In conversation, we all at some point say "that" instead of "who" (as sizzle points out) even if we might not write it that way. We all say things like "Boston lost because THEY turned it over too much." Of course, it should be "... IT turned it over ..." if you say Boston and "THEY" if you say Bruins, but who cares? To me, this is one big conversation and I don't want to be all formal.

I am not saying you shouldn't be annoyed, some posts get pretty ugly, but I don't see the need to call people out on it ... what are you proving? Just sayin' ... when they start paying me to post here, I'll make sure I am turning in perfectly clean copy.

You're not wrong. We're just here because Ink happened to start this thread on a rainy day when there was little else to do. I generally don't like it when people pick on grammar or spelling in a hockey-related thread, simply because they have no other way to respond, and I don't think most of the folks who posted in this thread do, either. (But I'm the first person to point out errors in a post that is idiotic for other reasons as well. I have problems.)

But this thread has been fun, too. It's a nice little language exorcism before the season starts. And then we'll all forget and screw up.

There's a big difference between being formal and being even slightly educated.

Not for nothin', but, spelling has no bearing on intelligence. Diligence, maybe, but not intelligence.

...grammar on the other hand....

Yeah, I can pretty much read right through most typos and misspellings without really noticing them (I have never once noticed the should of thing other than when people complain about it), but I cringe when I hear the stuff out loud. You can't misspell a word when you're speaking it.

I hate this one, too. My solution is to make sure that you use the following pronunciations when saying them out loud:

You're = "Yure" or at least "Yer"

Your = "Yor"

Do that and you are far less likely to type "your" when you shouldn't. You will also start to cringe a little when someone pronounces "you're" with a very strong "yor".

Not sure why "your" would take the strong "yor" sound either.

Man you guys are brutal.

I come on two this site too talk hockey cause it is were I can get away from the real world, and yet now I got to be worried about people judging me hear because of spelling issues. All I want to talk about is how bad connlley is playing and when will darcy re-sign, but noooo I got to think about every little key I type before it's to late. This place is worse then my english class.

You guys are really stuck and you're selfs.

-out

The Buffalo apostrophe.

Apostrophes are not used to make plurals. In other word's, this sentence is wrong. You have great seats for the game, not great seat's, and the team you are rooting for is the Sabres, not the Sabre's, and there is not a restaurant on William Street that has great soup's.

There is not a single word* in the English language for which the plural is formed by adding an apostrophe-s. Not one. Don't do it.

If you don't need to show possession, you probably do not need to use an apostrophe-s.

And yeah, there's a case where a possessive is formed without an apostrophe-s, too. It's tricky, but if you're attentive, you'll notice its presence here.

*Yeah, some people form the plurals of letters this way, e.g., "my son had three A's and two B's last semester," but those aren't words. And apparently, this confuses all of WNY.

:worthy:

I absolutely hate this with a passion and thank you dearly for pointing this out. People I work with make this mistake all the time.

Man you guys are brutal.

I come on two this site too talk hockey cause it is were I can get away from the real world, and yet now I got to be worried about people judging me hear because of spelling issues. All I want to talk about is how bad connlley is playing and when will darcy re-sign, but noooo I got to think about every little key I type before it's to late. This place is worse then my english class.

You guys are really stuck and you're selfs.

-out

I bet that took way too much effort.

One of the most misspelled word or words for that matter:

a lot - It doesn't piss me off as much as other words, as it's misspelling is as common as any I have seen, but the variations; allot, alot are everywhere.

Please stop. I love you too much to watch this continue. Someone has to say it. Must we have an intervention?

Archived