The Music Thread

darksabre

I just can't get past the fact that she is on Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest Guitarists and yet Alex Lifeson is not. I shouldn't hold it against her but I do.

rush gets snubbed a lot. and it's tragic--especially considering the sheer volume of quality music they've made. even their two newest singles are amazing. and they're quickly approaching 60.

the great thing about them is that they just don't care. hall of fame, no hall of fame, recognition ... whatever. they make music cuz they like doing it.

seriously, if you haven't heard BU2B yet, you *have* to check it out. it's out of this world amazing.

I just can't get past the fact that she is on Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest Guitarists and yet Alex Lifeson is not. I shouldn't hold it against her but I do.

Alex is very proficient, but doesn't much 'soul' or 'heart' in his playing. I guess it depends on how you rate things.

Errrr, Alex is #98 in the above link.

Alex is very proficient, but doesn't much 'soul' or 'heart' in his playing. I guess it depends on how you rate things.

Errrr, Alex is #98 in the above link.

So he is. It's been changed since the last time I looked at it and he's still beneath her. :blink: I'm guessing my definitions of soul and heart are different from yours,.. a lot different.

Edited by SwampD

So, on multiple levels - I can't get this song out of my head and it could be a Sabres Theme song... I saw them last month and was a casual fan. Now I'm obsessed. The more I learn about the band the more I like them. Their concert at Wembley Stadium is one of the best Rock shows you'll ever see.

"Has someone taken your faith?

Its real, the pain you feel

The life, the love, you'd die to heal

The hope that starts, the broken hearts

You trust, you must confess

Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?

Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?"

So, on multiple levels - I can't get this song out of my head and it could be a Sabres Theme song... I saw them last month and was a casual fan. Now I'm obsessed. The more I learn about the band the more I like them. Their concert at Wembley Stadium is one of the best Rock shows you'll ever see.

Nice. Did you see them at Verizon Center in November? I had a few friends who went to that one and said it was fantastic! Dave Grohl announcing something along the lines of "I hope none of you have work in the morning, because we're gonna rock all f***in' night!" :worthy:

I won the Wembley Stadium DVD in a contest at a bar or something last winter, but I have yet to sit down and watch it. I'll have to make a better effort to get around to it sooner!

This is funny timing too, as I've been listening to them a bunch the past two days. I have mostly "Big Me" stuck in my head as well as this one, a beauty!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9y6ouhTYI

Nice. Did you see them at Verizon Center in November? I had a few friends who went to that one and said it was fantastic! Dave Grohl announcing something along the lines of "I hope none of you have work in the morning, because we're gonna rock all f***in' night!" :worthy:

I won the Wembley Stadium DVD in a contest at a bar or something last winter, but I have yet to sit down and watch it. I'll have to make a better effort to get around to it sooner!

Yes. I went in a very casual fan and I left wanting to know everything about them. Grohl put on an amazing, entertaining, funny, intense, personable show. I have been researching them damn near night and day the past few weeks and I can't find one thing not to love about the guy.

It is criminal you haven't watched that Wembley show. I may ban you until you do. haha I've seen many shows in my day and that Wembley show is just amazing.

Yes. I went in a very casual fan and I left wanting to know everything about them. Grohl put on an amazing, entertaining, funny, intense, personable show. I have been researching them damn near night and day the past few weeks and I can't find one thing not to love about the guy.

It is criminal you haven't watched that Wembley show. I may ban you until you do. haha I've seen many shows in my day and that Wembley show is just amazing.

:lol:.............................................

:huh:

On the topic of Dave Grohl, I was a huge fan of Nirvana in high school as well.

I haven't really paid attention to new music in close to a decade now, but I'll say that the Foo Fighters are one of a few have still been putting out great music!

rush gets snubbed a lot. and it's tragic--especially considering the sheer volume of quality music they've made. even their two newest singles are amazing. and they're quickly approaching 60.

the great thing about them is that they just don't care. hall of fame, no hall of fame, recognition ... whatever. they make music cuz they like doing it.

seriously, if you haven't heard BU2B yet, you *have* to check it out. it's out of this world amazing.

I'm looking forward to the new Rush CD Clockwork Angles CD in 2012. If the two songs they already released are any indication this will be their heaviest album in years. BU2B rocks.

All is for the best

Believe in what we're told

Blind men in the market

Buying what we're sold

Until our final breath

While our loving Watchmaker

Loves us all to death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7R65CYyb4

Back to songs you can't get out of your head, I know I've been pushing these guys lately but they have literally put out an album full of songs that you can't get out of your head. It can be a bit of a problem when your wife catches you singing songs like this under your breath! :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvXHpLwJA4

I've been rather obsessed for quite a while now as well. Saw in them twice in the last 18 months. If you haven't yet, please check out skin and bones. A great watch with a drink and some friends.

I'm looking forward to the new Rush CD Clockwork Angles CD in 2012. If the two songs they already released are any indication this will be their heaviest album in years. BU2B rocks.

All is for the best

Blind men in the market

Buying what we're sold

Until our final breath

While our loving Watchmaker

Loves us all to death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7R65CYyb4

easily one of my favorites of all time ... and the CD hasn't even dropped yet. i caught them out here last summer. when they played it, my brother and i were singing along word for word at the top of our lungs. EVERYone around us was looking at us like we were out of our minds, but we didn't care. when it was over, one guy came up to us and said, "holy **it. HOW the hell did you know ever word to that song?! they haven't even released the new CD yet!" we told him it was on itunes for a dollar, and he went ballistic. THEN we told him that that's the "b" track to the actual single (caravan). he almost started dry-humping the row of chairs in front of us. it was ... creepy.

The months roll by and yet...

"Walked downtown in my broke down shoes

To the Side Street Pub

With the bar band blues

Take a back seat at the front door table

Order me a Bud and shot of Black Label

Close this place down once again

Sittin’ here wishin’ you’d walk right in

Down my shot, shoot my beer

I ain’t gotta go home but I can’t stay here..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpVs-SNHX0E

• Like (+1) 1

The months roll by and yet...

"Walked downtown in my broke down shoes

To the Side Street Pub

With the bar band blues

Take a back seat at the front door table

Order me a Bud and shot of Black Label

Close this place down once again

Sittin’ here wishin’ you’d walk right in

Down my shot, shoot my beer

I ain’t gotta go home but I can’t stay here..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpVs-SNHX0E

Love this song. It's been stuck in my head since the first time i heard it.

what ... the black leather body suit didn't help break your concentration on the insightful lyrics and catchy, interesting chords?

LOL, yeah but can you actually believe JJ actually yawned doing anything... where as Lita probably lit up before she even said yeah baby...

How many here can go this low? I admit that I can, but it can be quite a challenge to hit G1 and hold it at that range for several seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQ5auIC1bw

Wow!!

Very beautiful and inspiring ...

As a "reasonable" Muslim I often lament the fact that hot-heads and "close-minded" Muslims have hijacked the faith and have interpreted an action of the Prophet to mean that music, of all kinds, is haram (harmful) and we do not have choirs in the Mosques ... but I digress.

Thank you for posting this.

In honor of Darcy and Lindy.........showing some local love.

i haven't gone back to my jazz collection in a while; material like that (were i to add it) could take me there. thanks so much.

... and now for something, completely different (i posted this in the 1/6/12 GDT earlier, because it's that stuck in my head):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eepsCXpLY4