The Music Thread

darksabre

It's only an 30 second instrumental teaser but this has been stuck in my head the last few days. To me this is clearly a nod to Rush's more raw 70's sound. I think the full song gets released to radio this Thursday which means I'll actually tune into my local rock station for the first time in many years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK9PTQzopCA

It's only an 30 second instrumental teaser but this has been stuck in my head the last few days. To me this is clearly a nod to Rush's more raw 70's sound. I think the full song gets released to radio this Thursday which means I'll actually tune into my local rock station for the first time in many years.

The full song is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3fySNvz78

absolutely chill-inducing.

johnny cash's version of "hurt."

it's on a commercial for some video game and has been posted on facebook feed at least ten times since the commercial come out. not gonna lie, it's a pretty catchy song, and has been stuck in my head ever since. doesn't help that i liked it so much i learned how to play it on guitar (very easy).

Agreed. Nearly 40 years into their career these guys still have no peer in the rock / metal genre IMO.

Here is the official video from rush.com with lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

eh. The music was fine, but the flow of the lyrics was horrific. It was like the original song was in another language and they sang the rough translation.

eh. The music was fine, but the flow of the lyrics was horrific. It was like the original song was in another language and they sang the rough translation.

if i'm not mistaken, geddy is quoted as saying that this was originally going to be the instrumental for the CD, but then neil came up with the lyrics, and it took off from there. they did something similar with "peaceable kingdom" from vapor trails.

personally, i love the lyrics. hey man, i would never trade tomorrow for today. yeah ...

if i'm not mistaken, geddy is quoted as saying that this was originally going to be the instrumental for the CD, but then neil came up with the lyrics, and it took off from there. they did something similar with "peaceable kingdom" from vapor trails.

personally, i love the lyrics. hey man, i would never trade tomorrow for today. yeah ...

Yes, originally an instrumental that they changed when Neil gave them some lyrics. I agree some of the time changes seem forced, but it's still quintessential Rush and freaking awesome.

Agreed. Nearly 40 years into their career these guys still have no peer in the rock / metal genre IMO.

Here is the official video from rush.com with lyrics.

i do love the song, but also sorta agree with SDS. i think they'd have been better off with the YYZ treatment on this one.

i do love the song, but also sorta agree with SDS. i think they'd have been better off with the YYZ treatment on this one.

i'm going to reserve judgment on the lyrics (which, for the record, i like) until i hear the rest of the album. after hearing carvan, bu2b and the new song, i can't imagine anything on this new offering is going to be less than way above par.

while we're on the subject of rush, discuss snakes and arrows. 5 years later, and i still have a really difficult time listening to about half of those songs, whereas vapor trails, with me, was an instant hit. thoughts? opinions?

i'm going to reserve judgment on the lyrics (which, for the record, i like) until i hear the rest of the album. after hearing carvan, bu2b and the new song, i can't imagine anything on this new offering is going to be less than way above par.

while we're on the subject of rush, discuss snakes and arrows. 5 years later, and i still have a really difficult time listening to about half of those songs, whereas vapor trails, with me, was an instant hit. thoughts? opinions?

I like snakes and arrows better than vapor trails....

Though I listen to older stuff more often than either of those.

Why do you have a difficult time?

VT >>> Snakes & Arrows. S&A was a bit of a letdown, I'm hoping from much bigger things based on the three songs we've heard thus far from Clockwork Angels. Here is a track by track review of the new album, this review seems to confirm that Caravan and BU2B were re-recorded as BU2B has an acoustic intro on the new album.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/rush-clockwork-angels-full-album-reviewed-track-by-track-542931/1#!1

Somebody has got to sit Rush down and read them the rules – you know, the ones that state that they have to act their freaking ages and stop jamming around so damn much; that six and seven-minute songs with lots of badass musicianship are out; that there can’t possibly be new sounds to discover; that concept albums are so, like, Hemispheres; that songs are supposed to be verse, chorus, verse – c’mon, call in the pro LA tunesmiths already!

And don’t forget to tell them to get at least five or six backing musicians on stage – that’s what all the really big bands do; that they need to write some tunes about chicks, for chrissake; that the drummer must play to the song – knock it off with all that, you know, “extra stuff.”

And most of all, won’t somebody please tell these guys that groups that have been together for 38 years are supposed to suck? They’re not meant to have breakthroughs and keep getting better and better. Can't anybody send them the memo?

But wait… hold on a second. If Rush decided to buckle down and behave, if they adhered to the standards and practices of Music 101, that would make them sound like practically every other band out there. They would become safe, predictable and oh so un-Rush-like.

Fortunately, the three men (bassist-vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart) who power their way through the sprawling, open-hearted and wildly alive Clockwork Angels know that the best way to avoid creative stasis is to simply be themselves, and in doing so they’re growing in sophistication and revealing new depths of feeling at an astonishing rate.

:thumbsup:

I like snakes and arrows better than vapor trails....

Though I listen to older stuff more often than either of those.

Why do you have a difficult time?

that is a very good question, and it's one for which i have no answer. i have never had a problem with any rush album. and i really don't have issues with S&A ... there are just some tracks that i skip, and that made me incredibly nervous for this new cd for all the reasons that the reviewer in claude_verret's post mentioned--getting old, losing their touch, "falling in line ..." et al.

VT >>> Snakes & Arrows. S&A was a bit of a letdown, I'm hoping from much bigger things based on the three songs we've heard thus far from Clockwork Angels. Here is a track by track review of the new album, this review seems to confirm that Caravan and BU2B were re-recorded as BU2B has an acoustic intro on the new album.

http://www.musicrada...ack-542931/1#!1

:thumbsup:

just a hunch, and i'm tempted to verify this as soon as i get home, but my guess is that, somewhere in torrent-ville, there's a copy of this cd floating around. if there is, i'm going to cave, i'm going to download it, i'm going to upload it to itunes match it on my phone, and then i'm going to take the entire day off of work and drive around--up canyons, down the highway, possibly to the top of a couple of mountain peaks, barring still lingering snow towards the top (a distinct possibility).