PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Drury with another playoff game winner....

I read in the NY Post today that he has 17 playoff GWGs -- #5 all time.

I'll say it for the record: the Rangers will not miss the playoffs, EVER, as long as Drury is there.

Thanks again, TG.

GWGs can be deceptive. How many are "true" winners? This really isn't meant as a slam on Drury. His reputation is well-earned, he's a great player and I wish he was still a Sabre. I never liked him that much personally. His personality was always attributed to how intense and "deep" he is. I tend to think there's just not that much happening in there. :)

Drury's contributions can't necessarily be quantified. I guess that's my point.

I'll say it for the record: the Rangers will not miss the playoffs, EVER, as long as Drury is there.

Thanks again, TG.

This isn't a shot at you, but the fact that half the teams in the East make the playoffs increases their chances that much more.

He also scored about 5 playoff GWGs in his first season in Colorado - seems like all of them were in OT, too.

I wonder when it hit TG & LQ (if at all) that the Sabres have missed the playoffs two consecutive years....and funny...in said years, Drury was not part of the team. Hmm....

GWGs can be deceptive. How many are "true" winners? This really isn't meant as a slam on Drury. His reputation is well-earned, he's a great player and I wish he was still a Sabre. I never liked him that much personally. His personality was always attributed to how intense and "deep" he is. I tend to think there's just not that much happening in there. :)

Drury's contributions can't necessarily be quantified. I guess that's my point.

I think of GWG's as goals scored late to win it or in OT. Drury's last GWG was like 2 minutes into the 2nd period. Might be the game winner but not a clutch game winner by any stretch.

Snakebitten? Definitely...Lundqvist won that game for the Rangers. That was pretty much what he looked like in 2007 against us for Game 4 and 59:52 of Game 5. :thumbsup:

Snakebitten and trying to be pretty. So many offsides because of cute plays at the blue line. They just looked out of sync.

This should be in the Complaint Thursday thread. I'm watching the Pens/Phlyers game and I really don't like when they give the same colored shirts to all the people in the crowd at Playoff games. It looks like a sporting contest in Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". And if you have to do it, why pick white for the Pens? White isn't the first color that comes to mind when I think of the Pens. If we ever see the playoffs again and they try and do that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to just keep my jersey on. It's as bad as the stupid rule in the NFL that makes the coaches wear their teams gear, unless it's one of the two game where they are "allowed' to wear a suit.

There, I'm done with my Anti-Corporate-America rant. I feel better.

I think of GWG's as goals scored late to win it or in OT. Drury's last GWG was like 2 minutes into the 2nd period. Might be the game winner but not a clutch game winner by any stretch.

Depends on how you look at it. How many games have you watched where the other team went up--not necessarily in the last ten minutes, either--and you saw the Sabres become demoralized and lethargic? That other team went up on a GWG, and I'm not sure it matters the time left. (EDIT: We can't have it both ways, can we? Can we criticize Satan for meaningless goals after the game is decided, and say that goals that actually decided the game shouldn't matter much if they were scored relatively early?)

He only has two assists so far this playoffs. He's probably not at 100% after that injury

Well, he's at 100% in taking stupid and unnecessary penalties in front of the OPPOSING net, after that last move.

And the juggernaut that is Detroit rolls on....

Man the Jackets battled hard tonight but in the end they kicked themselves in the a$$ and took a "too many men" penalty with a little over a minute left with the score TIED. Bad Bad Bad.

What do y'all think happened?

So my #1 team never made the dance and the team that plays in the state I live in just spilled punch all over themselves. Sheesh.

Thanks again, TG.

Unfortunately in Game 7 in '06 (in the 1st) he didn't score the one that would have given him 18 total. (Yeah, had he scored that one, some other one would probably have been the official winner, but that would have taken the crowd out early and given a very unproven defense a little bit of breathing room.)

That play is in my "top 2" of not noticed plays that were huge in the grand scheme of things that could have given the Sabres the parade we all desperately hope for. The other one being the Paul Kruse finish the check/throw the check and miss touching the puck to waive off icing setting up the faceoff to give Dallas its 1st goal in game 2. If either of those change, the Sabres have a killer chance to host that parade.

I don't include the Kerry Frasier debacle Game 2 in '98 in that category even though his (and his crew's) incompetance cost the Sabres that series because there was NO way the Sabres would have beat the Wings 4 times. (Although I truly believe they wouldn't have been swept the way the Caps were. I expect Dom would have stolen 1-2 games, but there's no way he steals 4.)

Osgood with a 0.67 GAA? WTF? 97.4% save percent?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/

The BJ's reached their goal the minute they secured the 8th spot. The hunger to go further wasn't the same as the Wings' was. When you combine that w/ the Wings' superior talent, it makes for a rather embarassing playoff run. (See Atlanta-Strangers, for the Eastern Conference equivalent.) At least Columbus didn't give up Braydon Colburn to win zero playoff games. As an aside: can somebody PLEASE explain to me exactly how Don Waddell has not been fired? The man is CLEARLY out of his league.

I was watching the end of Columbus-Detroit. It was 5-5 with 1:30 minutes left and Columbus took a too-many-men on the ice penalty. With the series on the line, Columbus was putting up a heroic effort and then Poof. A stupid ticky-tacky penalty. It was inevitable that Detroit would score the series-winning goal at that point and they did.

I could only think of one thing.

The Sabres.

They are the kings of blowing it at the end because of a stupid mistake. Hopefully they were watching and they saw themselves and they learned.

But I doubt it.

Unfortunately in Game 7 in '06 (in the 1st) he didn't score the one that would have given him 18 total. (Yeah, had he scored that one, some other one would probably have been the official winner, but that would have taken the crowd out early and given a very unproven defense a little bit of breathing room.)

That was the breakaway, or at least partial breakaway, that he missed right?

Thank you, I remember that very vividly and also wonder why it isn't brought up more often when discussing that series.

We're always talking about the puck in Fitz' skates, Campbell's delay of game penalty and the goal off both Kalinin and Mair's skates, but never that missed break by Drury.

MARTY! MARTY! MARTY!

:thumbsup:

Brodeur or Biron? Either way, they were both excellent last night.

The Devils-Canes game was OUTSTANDING. Classic low-scoring playoff game with incredible goaltending. I thought Carolina was going to tie it up at the end, too. I'll take those games for the rest of the playoffs.

Sharks, Canes and Caps are all Fu%king up my Parlay Bet! I put $30 down on all 8 playoff series games. Have to get all correct for a $1,040 payout. NOT GONNA HAPPEN NOW. Dammit!!

Sharks really crapped the bed. Presidents Trophy curse.

Rangers would be nothing if not for Lundquist. He is the only reason they are winning.

Canes could take it to gm 7.

Pit should win next game.

Wings dominate

Van waits next round

Anaheim surprises for sure.

Flames / Hawks series is a really good one. I still like Calgary in that one.

Bruins destroyed Mtl. But the Habs had a bunch of guys out too.

All I know is I don't want the Wings to win it again.

Sharks, Canes and Caps are all Fu%king up my Parlay Bet! I put $30 down on all 8 playoff series games. Have to get all correct for a $1,040 payout. NOT GONNA HAPPEN NOW. Dammit!!

Sharks really crapped the bed. Presidents Trophy curse.

Rangers would be nothing if not for Lundquist. He is the only reason they are winning.

Canes could take it to gm 7.

Pit should win next game.

Wings dominate

Van waits next round

Anaheim surprises for sure.

Flames / Hawks series is a really good one. I still like Calgary in that one.

Bruins destroyed Mtl. But the Habs had a bunch of guys out too.

All I know is I don't want the Wings to win it again.

Do not want to mess up your bet but seeing the Canes shaking the Devlis hands sunday will be great satisfaction in my book

Torts pretty much knew his team was gonna lose tonight but he's a big boy and can take the criticism for benching Avery. The guy is a tool and they won the last game despite his play. Now he gets his attitude adjusted with a game off and he'll be back for game 6. I think it's disgusting how the media equates victory with Avery in the Rangers lineup. Sure the numbers back up his being in the lineup, but it's embarrassing to the rest of the club to think that Avery is the reason they are winning.

Seriously. He's not Gretzky. He's not Orr. He's a fairly skilled pest.

Torts had no choice. I think he did the right thing.

Archived